WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found my great grandfather's old apparently handwound Timex. It's been sitting in a box for at least 30 years. Wound it up and works like a champ. Day and date changes properly around midnight.

However, I can't figure out how to set the day and date. There appears to be no quickset position on the crown. I haven't pulled on it hard for fear of breaking it.

There is no 10-2 poor man's quickset either. I'd be fine with just winding through every 24 hours to get the date right and keeping it wound, but I can't line the day up with it.

My best guess is that this watch is from the 70s.

Here are a few photos:

421341_932902488954_18308506_39677763_2120428095_n.jpg
422040_932902459014_18308506_39677762_18029870_n.jpg
430740_932902359214_18308506_39677760_227366634_n.jpg
428026_932902299334_18308506_39677759_1082419823_n.jpg
432258_932902174584_18308506_39677755_1570350543_n.jpg

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Nice seiko! Is that a GS? anyway, to me it looks more late 60s early 70s (72'?) I don't think there is a quickset date, looks kinda like a constellation lol. Just run through the time to set it. It's no surprise that it runs, those things are bullet proof

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice seiko! Is that a GS? anyway, to me it looks more late 60s early 70s (72'?) I don't think there is a quickset date, looks kinda like a constellation lol. Just run through the time to set it. It's no surprise that it runs, those things are bullet proof
Thanks for the compliments. No unfortunately, it's just an Ananta. But I love it. The issue I'm having with the Timex is how do I get both the correct day and the date simultaneously? Cycling through makes them both advance one unit so I can get either the correct day or the correct date, but not both at the same time.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks guys, but I got it figured it out. The day apparently doesn't have a quickset of any kind, so you just have to cycle through 24 hour cycles. The secret to the date was that you have to wind it from 1 am to 6 pm back and forth. Took forever, but it's lined up. Now I need to hope the power reserve is longer than 8 hours lol.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,195 Posts
Ok, thanks guys, but I got it figured it out. The day apparently doesn't have a quickset of any kind, so you just have to cycle through 24 hour cycles. The secret to the date was that you have to wind it from 1 am to 6 pm back and forth. Took forever, but it's lined up. Now I need to hope the power reserve is longer than 8 hours lol.
That's got to be the second most difficult day/date setting mechanism ever...

·
Premium Member
8,916 Posts
Maybe, but has anyone actually shot at them?
In all those promotional stunts did they ever say it takes a shot and comes back wounded?:-d

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol, well, it certainly wasn't pleasant to set.

I don't plan on shooting it for any testing purposes, but if I happen to be shot and block it with the watch, I'll report my findings.

Currently it's running fine, although it looks to gain maybe 1.5 minutes a day at the current rate. Hard to complain about it though.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
CitizenM said:
I know the feeling , you want to just give up but when you look down it's the wrong day it date and it's like nails on a chalkboard lol

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
James Haury said:
Maybe, but has anyone actually shot at them?
In all those promotional stunts did they ever say it takes a shot and comes back wounded?:-d
I'm sure people have shot them before lol. They have no jewels (so they say but I counted one, which wad the impulse jewel) and they use hardened steel cone shaped cups as bearings. Military grade (back in the day) it was a cool design and proved itself very well.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
CitizenM said:
lol, well, it certainly wasn't pleasant to set.

I don't plan on shooting it for any testing purposes, but if I happen to be shot and block it with the watch, I'll report my findings.

Currently it's running fine, although it looks to gain maybe 1.5 minutes a day at the current rate. Hard to complain about it though.
That's good for something that probably shouldn't even be running lol, and to gain it and not loose it is another story!

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
That's got to be the second most difficult day/date setting mechanism ever...
Chascomm,

This is the same method as used on the Vostok 2428 and probably the 2427, but then if you keep it running you just need to advance the date five times a year, so when the watch was new, everyone just had one watch, so it was just a one-time initial set-up.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,195 Posts
Chascomm,

This is the same method as used on the Vostok 2428 and probably the 2427, but then if you keep it running you just need to advance the date five times a year, so when the watch was new, everyone just had one watch, so it was just a one-time initial set-up.
Functionally it's little different from any of the Russian or other day/dates of that era (including some of the better Swiss makers), in as much as the day has to be cycled through first and then the date set. The only difficulty being the need to shuttle the time back and forth for the date.

It's still more straightforward than the split change zone systems where you have one change zone that you can shuttle across for day and another for date e.g. Poljot 26669 and I've seen it on a modern Japanese quartz, too. Theoretically more convenient but far too easy to get confused, especially if the zones overlap.

And then there's the Hamzawa 5026 and Premier Precision 2604 which have a middle-crown quick-change on date, and a split-change on a dual-language day. First you wind the time forwards until you get to the correct day of the week; but if you are changing the language from the one that was showing before you started, then you must stop as soon as to see the correct day/language combo and wind back to the previous day in order to lock it to the right language; then you set it to the correct time, and after that you quick-change the date. It's great once its running and on your wrist as your only watch, but hellish to get started.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
should be able to adjust the timing on this I have done it on my brother in laws timex, but it may need a service. Its hard to do on these timex some people dont even take them a part like most watches and jst oil them were they can.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
should be a fun project. I've fixed an old clock before and have a pretty in depth understanding of movements, but I've never worked on a mechanical watch before. But an ultra simple calibre like this might be the right place to start. But it's running reliably, other than gaining a minute or so a day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts