WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone !
I recently decided to get a watch for myself because i actually NEVER bought a watch ! (neither own one =) ..)
through some quick 'google' search, i realized that there are so many choices that i NEED some help with choosing watches !
i was wondering if you guys are kind enough to help me with this =)

So the watch i am looking for is -

Affordable - the cheaper the better.. but than gotta think about quality too... i am thinking of spending roughly ~$200 ish
Dress Watch - doesn't have to be TOO formal... i will be wearing with a suit for my job!
small in size - I am really short guy.... my wrist is about 7.5 inches (circumference)...
Circle-shaped - i know that there are many different shapes but i really prefer good old circle shapes =)
Simple design - not a big fan of 'fancy' design... i would like simple and clean design ! (wouldn't mind having no numbers written in watch at all ! )

I know i am being very picky, but since this is going to be the first watch, I am trying to put lots of effort into it ..

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
So it is very hard for me to give you a good suggestions, since most of your criteria is opposite of my own. But I will just throw this out there

Seagull Seamaster, I dont know if another batch of them are out yet though.
yjgh.jpg

heres the thread about it
https://www.watchuseek.com/f72/sea-master-sea-gull-not-omega-916907.html

Look at Seiko. They make some smaller, dressy watches. I have no idea what the styles are because I have never thought to buy any.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks heaps ! that type of watch is what i was looking for !
But the only downside is that there are too many writings & numbers on clock piece =(

Again, i thank you for your time and effort to help me out =))

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was looking around and found two watches that interest me...
they are quite cheap but looks nice !
i do not know a single thing about their company but it seems like they are decent..?

I By Invicta Men's 90242-001 Chronograph Black Dial Black Leather Watch
- I By Invicta Men's 90242-001 Chronograph Black Dial Black Leather Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

Stuhrling Original Men's 555A.01 Classic Ascot II Swiss Quartz Date Black Dial Strap Set Watch
- Stuhrling Original Men's 555A.01 Classic Ascot II Swiss Quartz Date Black Dial Strap Set Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

can you guys let me know how you guys think..?

ps. i am thinking of changing leather strips into steel bracelet...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi Featherhat,
Welcome to the forum. While also not my area of knowledge, I'd suggest you search for "Bauhaus" or "Rodina" as a start. The Rodina is a brand name for an homage of other Bauhaus designed watches and they seen to be available for about $120. If you decide you like that style, there are lots of discussions here about the different options.
You might also look at Orient watches as the Bambino is a popular dress model around here.
If you're looking for quartz versus a mechanical watch, then one of our members recently got a Stuhrling Original quartz watch that is similar in look and fairly inexpensive. Have a look at the daily WRUW (what are you wearing) threads for loads of other ideas. Good luck with your search.

Regards,

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am leaning towards Orient XD they are exactly what i've been looking for...
one thing, are all watch's strip changeable?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi again,
That was the exact Stuhrling I was thinking of. The owner here seemed happy enough and for the price, you could still get another watch later if you chose to do so. I'd suggest just trying one at a time for a few months to see if you like the style, size, etc.
Most, but not all, watches can be changed to other straps, but if you want one with a bracelet, you are much better off buying one to start with the factory bracelet as finding a good aftermarket fit may be a challenge and expensive after the fact.
Please post a pic of the Orient XD you mean as a quick search gives a variety of non-specific pics.

Jeff

·
Registered
99 Posts
There is really good advice here and I can only say I love my Orients and I am always amazed how nice they are, especially considering the price.
featherhat is not living in the US, some of the suggestions might be more difficult to buy in the given price range.
Where are you living, if I may ask?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Featherhat,
Welcome to the forum. While also not my area of knowledge, I'd suggest you search for "Bauhaus" or "Rodina" as a start. The Rodina is a brand name for an homage of other Bauhaus designed watches and they seen to be available for about $120. If you decide you like that style, there are lots of discussions here about the different options.
You might also look at Orient watches as the Bambino is a popular dress model around here.
If you're looking for quartz versus a mechanical watch, then one of our members recently got a Stuhrling Original quartz watch that is similar in look and fairly inexpensive. Have a look at the daily WRUW (what are you wearing) threads for loads of other ideas. Good luck with your search.

Regards,

Jeff

+1

·
Premium Member
71,255 Posts
I was going to suggest you took a look at the Seiko range since they do such a big range. If someone asked me to choose between a Seiko and an Orient I would be in real bother. Well done on your choice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks everyone for their contributions !
i have ordered 'Orient ER27009B Symphony" ...
since its under $80 i thought it was a grab !
thanks again and hopefully i will come back with photos soon ..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the only question in my mind is that did i make a right choice for a movement..
Orient symphony is auto...
Though what i've read, quartz are much more reliable and accurate...
but than i like second clock arm moving smoothly....

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
the only question in my mind is that did i make a right choice for a movement..
Orient symphony is auto...
Though what i've read, quartz are much more reliable and accurate...
but than i like second clock arm moving smoothly....
you made the right choice. outstanding value for the money. and the second hand smoothness is one of the main benefits of an auto watch.

reliability is usually a function of the watchmaker/brand

1 - 20 of 25 Posts