WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first wedding anniversary is coming up and I want to buy my husband a nice watch that I can have engraved (first anniversary modern gift = clocks). I know he covets the Omega Speedmaster Moon watch; however, we are young and can't quite afford that yet. Can anyone suggest a "comprable" watch (ha, I know) that I could get for under $1,000? He definitely wants a chronograph, but I don't know much about watches. I found some good prices on a Movado Junior Chronograph? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
In my view, you're right on the border of being able to buy a good quality used Omega Speedmaster moon watch. I've seen them go for $1000-1500 in good, giftable condition. I found this guy at $1500 on TZ (another watch forum that's respected like WUS is).

Whenever purchasing from a person, make sure you get references and check them out first, especially with a large purchase like this. I have not been burned in my dozens of transactions and you won't be if you're safe and careful.

TimeZone: Sales Corner: Omega Speedmaster Professional Moon Watch Ca 2003

That being said, at the $1000, I will think more and get back with you about alternatives that are similar to the Omega Speedmaster moon watch. I think an Oris or 2 might be in your price range.

What's important about the Omega speedmaster moon? Just the fact that it's a chrono or the manual/hand wind movement? What about his wrist size / size of watch that is acceptable.

I assume black dial and non-contrasting sub-dials? On bracelet, strap, rubber, does it matter?

~Ross

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Also - you are easily in the range for a barely used Omega speedmaster auto chrono - not the moon watch (which uses a hand-wound mechanical, instead of automatic mechanical). Considered this option?

I know you might not want to get too close to the Moon Watch with this purchase, but I thoguht I would suggest it.

here it is new -- : Omega Speedmaster Mens Chronograph Automatic Stainless Steel 3513.50 | Dexclusive.com

can be found used for $1000 and under.

~Ross

·
Registered
2,619 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi! I actually had considered the reduced speedmaster, but dexclusive.com was the only place I found it that close to $1,000 and I called and they are sold out. I'm a little hesitant on buying a used watch because I'm pretty sure I'd get ripped off as I have no clue what I'm doing, what questions to ask or what to look for.

He prefers the bracelet and I'm honestly not sure on wrist size, but he's about 6'2", 200 lbs. The dial doesn't necessarily need to be black, but he tends to like pieces that have an understated elegance and don't attract too much attention. I really appreciate your help - I'm going to check out the Tissot now, too.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Also you can look at the PRC200 from Tissot, a slightly different look, but still an elegant chronograph. Not on a bracelet, but you can always provide an aftermarket bracelet for about $50-60 (for a high quality one) if he doesn't like the leather.

Amazon.com: Tissot T-Sport PRC200 Automatic Chronograph Mens Watch T014.427.16.051.00: Tissot: Watches

Or how about a HAMILTON -- there are some solid auto chrono choices from Hamilton and most are very elegant without being over the top. Also come on good bracelets. This one is the Hamilton Jazzmaster Automatic Chronograph for $875 brand new.

Hamilton Jazzmaster Auto Chrono

~Ross

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
You might also want to consider the Tissot LeLocle Chronos or (if you want to put by $500 to get that Speedy for a future anniversary) the Sea-Gull M199S or one of it's cousins. Sea-Gull is a Chinese brand (THE Chinese brand really) but there higher end stuff is of excellent quality.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
If he's 6 2 and 200 pounds, he could easily wear up to 44mm safely, I'm thinking. I'm 6'0" and 175 lbs, but my wrists are skinny at 6.75". I can wear up to about 42-43mm. A lot of that is personal preference though, I see people very comfortable in wearing 47mm on a 6.75" wrist for example. But considering he likes the Omega Speedmaster moon watch, which is 42mm, I believe, I'm trying to keep these around that size.

And really if you're going with a Swiss automatic chrono, they are going to use the Swiss Valjoux 7750 movement (or variant) which makes the case size minimum around 41mm.

---

Tissot Le Locle chrono is about 42mm and very elegant - a dress watch to be sure.

Amazon.com: Tissot Men's T41.1.387.51 Le Locle Automatic…

Might not be his style though.

~Ross

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
You might also want to consider the Tissot LeLocle Chronos ......
haha, beat me to the punch by a few seconds :)

I have no experience with Seagull, but like he said, they are Chinese, using the Chinese variant of a hand wound chronograph movement. I cannot recommend them only because I haven't owned them and haven't heard enough about them to make a judgment call. I personally would prefer a swiss auto chrono over them.

~Ross

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ha ha, yes, this is the one I set you, too. I think it looks great and it's under my $1K budget which would allow me to save a bit to get the moon watch sooner. Thank you so much for your help. I've always given my husband a hard time about his bicycle forums and now I can see how they're such a great resource! Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
What do you think of this one? Is it the same as the Tissot with the leather strap?

Tissot Men's 'T-Sport PRC 200' Stainless Steel Watch | Overstock.com
see above :) great minds think alike.

-----

Also, I remembered Christopher Ward - they make a great, although somewhat ostentatious chrono -- great features though. About $780 b/c we're not in the EU.

C40 Speedhawk Chronograph- Automatic View Chronos MEN

mini-review here: http://www.watchreport.com/2009/08/christopher-ward-speedhawk-chronograph.html

~Ross

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Ha ha, yes, this is the one I set you, too. I think it looks great and it's under my $1K budget which would allow me to save a bit to get the moon watch sooner. Thank you so much for your help. I've always given my husband a hard time about his bicycle forums and now I can see how they're such a great resource! Thanks again.
You're quite welcome! Please ask again or PM me if you need any further advice.

If I think of any other ones that just jump out at me, I'll post them in this thread.

I'm sure he'll love that Tissot! Happy anniversary :-!:-!

Cheers,
~Ross

1 - 15 of 15 Posts