WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a vintage Omega watch from a well-meaning relative but it turns out that the watch is not 100% authentic, as it consists of various Omega parts and even an Omega movement but with wrong screws etc. I attach pictures in the hope that someone can tell me what type of movement this could be so I can try to salvage the useful bits of this watch, as a sort of mini project. Any thoughts/guidance most appreciated! Omega1.jpg Omega2.jpg Omega3.jpg Omega4.jpg

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
The movement is the ONLY genuine Omega part in here. The serial dates it to 1937/1938. 8 million mark crossed in 1935, 9 million- in 1939. The serial number table that I use for reference gives approximate dates.
The hour and second hand might be original to the watch, the minute hand quite obviously isn't. Different shape, different plating.
If you want to use period-correct parts and make it a project... Maybe I can give a few suggestions.

Alternative 1:
I suppose that Omega dials from that period can be found, cases had serial- not reference- numbers back then, so I don't think that it's possible to find the right case. If I can suggest something- look for silver Dennison cases from the 1930s. If you find a case that fits, and a genuine dial from the 1930s... Well, you'll still have a franken, but an enjoyable franken. This... The case and this dial just don't get along well style-wise. That font is ATROCIOUS. It's probably a decal or something, and if the dial is enamel, it probably can be cleaned off.

Alternative 2:
Find a 1930s cushion case to fit the movement and the dial. Silver, gold-filled, whatever. I'd still recommend a Dennison, a LOT of watches for the British market were cased in these, so there's really a variety of sizes.
Keep the dial, have that Omega logo removed. Yes, it's that bad-looking.
Source new hands (for a silver case, I'd recommend blued ones).
And there you go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much, CajunMike and mkws!!!!! Very helpful and I will give some thought to your suggestion and check out Ebay listings...if I proceed anywhere, I will post pics!! Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts