WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey WUSers. I need some ideas for my next dress watch. I started collecting watches recently, and have ended up with more sporty/dive/chronograph watches than dress watches. I wear a dress shirt and jacket most days, and my big wrists won't let anything over about 10mm thick slip under my cuffs, so I need to add to my dress watches.

I'm looking to spend $500 or less. I want a leather strap, not a bracelet. I prefer mechanical/automatics but would be okay with quartz. I would prefer to buy a respectable brand rather than a fashion watch. I don't mind buying pre-owned.

So far my dress watches include an Orient Bambino, a Travisleon Heirloom (microbrand with miyota 9015), and a slim Citizen eco-drive with a polished silver case and milky dial.

Gimme some ideas! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
36,285 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those Gavox are beauties! I think they're just a little too thick for this role at 11.5 mm, but I still may have to check them out! Case size is nice though as I would like something more or less around 40 mm.

·
Premium Member
9,336 Posts
First suggestion would be one of the new Seiko Cocktail Time models, but only if you can try it on. IIRC it might be just a tad too tall.

Just a bit over your budget at Jomashop, but the Tissot Ballade.

Seiko Core series has several solar that should be worth consideration, such as:

or

if you like a museum dial. Both of these are quite slim, and well under your budget.

·
Premium Member
9,336 Posts
Last thought: check Christopher Ward clearance sales. The older Slimline models may all be gone, but if one's there.... It's a manual winder, but that always helps with the slimness.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Would you consider vintage? If so that opens up a lot more options. They are generally smaller, but IMO that works well with dressier / more formal clothes.

Here’s one example, a Hamilton Trent:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Ballade is nice but doesn't speak to me for some reason. The cocktail time is nice but the numbers say it's a bit too thick. Might feel different on the wrist. I'll eventually get one Regardless! Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Christopher ward slimline might be a winner. There is one on eBay right now for $299 with two extra straps. Looks really clean. Any reason not to get it?!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would recommend the Tissot Visodate (white dial), Seiko SARB033 (black dial), or Hamilton Intra-Matic (either). Frederique Constant has some nice models also, which you should be able to get from Jomashop in your price range. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
I like vintage too if you’re willing to hunt a bit. A Seamaster Geneve would likely be in your budget

I agree. Excellent Vintage Omega or Hamilton SS or gp that is serviced can be found in your price range. These ultra-thin and listing right now on WUS.
0b658bdd3fd077d190203f325ba4dbda.jpg Screenshot 2017-10-08 at 12.jpg
and a new Laco.
41Ah06uBddL._UX466_.jpg

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the ideas. Keep em coming! I'm okay with vintage but there's two considerations. One is the case size. I appreciate the classic styling of a small case, but anything at 37mm or smaller makes me look like I'm wearing a kids watch due to my wrist size. Second is that I don't really know enough about what a fair price should be. I can work on that one.

That vintage Hamilton is nice, but I couldn't find it in the sales corner. Can you share the link Please?

Thanks all!

·
Banned
405 Posts
Those Gavox are beauties! I think they're just a little too thick for this role at 11.5 mm, but I still may have to check them out! Case size is nice though as I would like something more or less around 40 mm.
Thanks for your compliments

Here's a shot I did with my legacy IMG_0360.JPG

Or here in Australia Iceland

IMG_9249.JPG

Cheers

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
The Christopher ward slimline might be a winner. There is one on eBay right now for $299 with two extra straps. Looks really clean. Any reason not to get it?!
I like mine!

They're a good deal at around the $300 mark. Highly recommended.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas. Keep em coming! I'm okay with vintage but there's two considerations. One is the case size. I appreciate the classic styling of a small case, but anything at 37mm or smaller makes me look like I'm wearing a kids watch due to my wrist size. Second is that I don't really know enough about what a fair price should be. I can work on that one.
That vintage Hamilton is nice, but I couldn't find it in the sales corner. Can you share the link Please?
Thanks all!
The link for vintage Hamilton offered by prolific WUS poster soaking.fused https://www.watchuseek.com/f29/fsot...ld-manual-wind-watch-vintage-nos-4541565.html
If it's kept nice I dare say it's near the bottom if the depreciation curve.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts