WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
The movement looks very much like this minerva from Dr. Ranfft's collection. This has to be one of the earliest chronographs.

I am not sure how to read the scales on the main dial. I have seen similar spirals on early Heuers and other chronos from the '30s and early '40s. I do not believe I have ever seen it since then.

Wonderful piece!!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks!

but what do you think about lugs?
they are not original but since the watch is so old shuld it mind?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The movement looks very much like this minerva from Dr. Ranfft's collection.
Actually, I believe the movement shown in the link the OP gave is a Valjoux 22 which was produced in the one pusher form from 1914-1936: Valjoux 22.

Of course, since the watch in the link is only externally similar to the OP's we really don't know what movement is actually in his watch.

I am not sure how to read the scales on the main dial. I have seen similar spirals on early Heuers and other chronos from the '30s and early '40s. I do not believe I have ever seen it since then.
The spiral scale is an extension of the normal circular tachymeter scale seen on chronometers to measure speed or rate, i.e., if one traverses a measured mile in exactly one minute the speed is 60 MPH, if it takes two minutes the speed is 30 MPH, if it takes three minutes the speed is 20 MPH. This is why the 60, 30, and 20 marks at aligned at the 12 o'clock position. This spiral scale can handle any traverse time from zero to three minutes versus the normal circular scale which can only handle zero to one minute. This makes more sense at a time when autos didn't travel so fast as they do now. :)

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
Ah, I have learned something today (besides my normal dose of humility :)).

The spiral makes perfect sense now... as does it's disappearance!

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
what do you think about the lugs?
should I try to repair them or not?

:thanks
What is done can not be undone. Might as well fix them and make the watch useful!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts