WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the watches world, and was saving to buy my first real watch the SMPc 300, only when I was ready to pull the trigger Omega released the new SMPw and the general advise received from the esteemed members of this forum was to wait till you see both in hand and so I did, but while I wait I did some investigation on the brand to get to know it more, and i absolutely fall in love with the vintage seamaster 300 1960s model, but they are very very expensive to fund mostly over $10k and I read about one was sold in an auction for more than $100k
any how, I found the model 2254.50 "big arrow" look somehow close to the vintage omega seamaster and most asking prices are around $1800
I want to know what does the omega watches community think of this particular model ? is it valued / appreciated or just an old outdated model ? I love the vintage look of it, but if I went this direction, I will kiss the new SMPw good buy for good, I can only fund one watch for the time being.. love to hear your thoughts on this

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
638 Posts
Best advice: Buy once, and buy the watch that calls to you. If that 60's 300 is what you want, research, save up and buy it. Don't be concerned what this community thinks of a particular watch when it comes to style. If you like how it looks then go for it. The Seamaster is an excellent choice regardless of the ref. However, if you are new to the watch world, I would recommend that you buy new and buy from an AD.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Both are fine watches and having owned both I would say my personal preference is the vintage Seamaster 300. I owned the newer SMP first but saved my shekels to get the more pricey vintage version. However you have to be careful, do your research and know what you want and are looking for. There can be duds out there.

Good luck

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
873 Posts
Keep in mind the upkeep and servicing costs of vintage. Buying a new toy is exciting now, but when it comes time to service the watch after the honeymoon phase wears off, you won't be a happy camper if your expectations aren't properly gauged

Reactions: posiedon

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the valuable replies, however I think there is a misunderstanding, I am not considering the vintage seamaster 300 it's way out of my league I cannot pay for it, I'm mainly asking about the early 2000s model 2254.50 which is less than $2000 in most ebay posts, it looks like the vintage one but it's not vintage nor rare by any mean, is this a good reference for the sea master is it as durable and reputable as the SMPc ?
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
224 Posts
The 2254 is an iconic watch. One of the best ever made. Take a look at WatchRecon for one. I’d rather take my chances there than eBay for getting a nice one.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
the watchco SM300 looks the most like the true vintage model. it will run over $3k on the used market since they're no longer produced but that's way less than $10k.
You really have no idea what you did to my day, I just came out from an investigation dive to reply to your post! I had to google watchco SM300 to understand what you were talking about, and man was I late to discover this world! i absolutely loved it, ofcourse 3k or even more is a bit pricey for a watch that was entirely built via individuals and no one can assure now if it was built by watchco or sts, as I found couple of individual watchmen who built and sold it themselves.

ofcourse it's a fantastic option to know that a vintage alike is out there and could be really on my rest for less than 10k.. Thank you for enlightening me

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
The black SMP is a great take on the vintage SM300 but if you want to really go for it I would suggest the Planet Ocean 2500 in 42mm. Like I said I had SMP but upgraded to Vintage SM300 (which 8 suspect was a Watchco) and the afore mentioned PO which you can get for a little more than the SMP and is a very versatile watch..

Cheers

Here is a comparison shot (I tinkered with the SMP as you can see)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
551 Posts
I strongly prefer the “Great White” ref 2538.20

It’s a a similar design but has a much better dial to my eye and is GMT. As for as collectibility goes, I think it has greater potential for appreciation. You pay a bit more than for the 2254.50but you should be able to find a decent one for 2k if you keep your eyes peeled.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts