WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The AMW320 is one of the longest running analog / digital watches for Casio. It was featured in many movies as well. It went through couple of module changes through its history: original was 358 (1 button left / 1 button right); then 1374 (2 buttons on left); the recent ones are 2701 (also 2 buttons on left, not sure what other difference). Even for the newest module version, some of the models (color & face design variations) are pretty hard to find. In addition, some of the related products, like the solar AMWS320 and solar atomic WVA320, are very hard to be found for sale also. Looks like Casio either stopped or cut down on the production. Or may be there are a lot of collectors out there for them. Also the owners probably just like them too much and not easily let them go.

The AMW320 is no doubt a classic. But it does lack digital functionality the current Casio's have. Such as it has no timer, and no light function at night. Recently I came across a video (see below), and realized how small and simple the module is inside. On one hand, its simplicity makes it easy to maintain and even to mod (like to re-lume). On the other hand, it does look cheap inside and makes me wonder whether if it really worth its value only based on its exterior design.

So I like hear the opinions from the owners.
1. How good is the original lume?
2. How frequently you need to change battery?
3. After seeing how simple the inside is, do you regret your choice?

Any other input welcome. Non-owner welcome to chime in too, if you have good inputs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi... Apleasure to help with your doubts. First, quick answers j
1. Pretty poor as on all Casios (even the top of line)
2. Two years max, without using alarms too much.
3. Yes, i do regret.

Second an analysis. As a matter of age, 52 ,I am a long term Casio client. I used the first Casio's pocket calculators at school ( yes those with the green light) and I bought new of the first G'Shocks (dw5200) and lots of other stuff. Always was VERY satisfied with the quality. I bought 2 AMW320 module 2701, one black dialed, one white a couple of years ago, following the great reviews in all Casio related forums. Great mistake. They have a nice case, all steel, smooth bezel though bi-directional, great band, better than most G's) and that's all.
Poor lume, poor buttons action, poor module
capabilities, no light. The buttons began with trouble very soon, being very hard to push and satisfactory do what they have to do . When the first battery died, I opened the back and found the reason, I could nor believe that was a Casio. Not simple as you said. Only cheap and bad quality. A shame. The buttons spring action is done by a piece of plastic which serves also as movement holder. Crap. I think even the F-91 is better executed. So, a nice watch that seems a good watch but inside is ..... I can not rely on this watches. My advice: Run away. Spend the money in a G or even a DW290 and you'll have a great watch for years. Regards.
Luis.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I think I bought mine around 1995, they have been made since 1990, so they have been around for a long time.

"Casio has produced some classic watches over the years, none more so than the Casio AMW320 and more specifically the champagne dial model. Its iconic, primarily because Arnold Schwarzenegger wore it in the movies Kindergarten Cop (1990) and Last Action Hero (1993). These are commonly referred to as the "Casio Arnie"."

Mine (below) has been through (wore out) two of the original resin bands and now it's wearing a nylon NATO but the watch keeps going. It has been a "beater" for the past ten years or so usually worn while I ride my John Deere diesel tractor mowing my 5 acres of grass every week in the summer. That is a lot of vibration, so much that the original seconds hand fell off a few times and finally I replaced it with a new one that has stayed put for a few years now without a problem. It's a AMW-320-9EV.
CasioAMW329001.jpg

Yes, it does look "cheap on the inside" but I have found many watches, some far more expensive, that are a disappointment when you remove the back. But this watch has proven to me that it must be well made to still be running.

The lume is nothing to brag about, not as good as Seiko or Citizen but it is acceptable. It does fade away much quicker.

Battery life for mine, I think it usually goes about three years but I don't push the button very often.

NO regrets buying it at all, it has been through a lot, been abused, banged, dropped and worn many hours on a high vibration diesel tractor. Other than the seconds hand it has been great.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,172 Posts
my report:

Battery life: poor, 2 years with luck.
Movement: very bad below the casio standard. The second hand is not aligned with the digital so you have to adjust the second hand together with the digital time every time you set the watch. Even the 20$ ana-digi casios have the second-hand-less movement which is moving every 20sec. the hands. Those can be set at deviations less then 20 sec. without adjusting the hands.
Of 2 AMW-320 watches 1 movement failed after warranty period, the analog part got struck.

Regret: a little bit because i lost every thrust in the movement of the remaining watch and never wear it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Mine is an early version, buttons on each side, it has been good. But after reading the other two replies I have to wonder why mine is still going.

I do agree that getting the analog and digital time in sync is a PIA, I used to fuss over that too. I haven't even tried lately and just look at the analog time and ignore the digital.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great inputs everyone, that really clears up some of my doubts! Keep them coming.

Mine is an early version, buttons on each side, it has been good. But after reading the other two replies I have to wonder why mine is still going.
You never know, the original version may be better made. Newer products tend to cut more corners in manufacturing.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
I have two of them. First I got in 1990 (white). Last battery was changed in 2011 and ran until this year - almost exactly 3 years. The new one (black) was bought in June 2013 and battery stopped in October this year (don't know how long it was in store). I would say the old one has slightly better build quality but the new movement IMO is better. Lume was always poor. I have no regrets buying either.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have the pvd black, blue and gold. Yep they chew through the batteries but for the price they are a nice watch. Love the gold/champagne one, even though I generally dislike gold on watches.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have an AMW320D-9EV with the gold dial. I forget when I bought it; I want to say over ten years ago, maybe 15?

1) meh. It might get through a movie if you've walked in on a sunny day, and that's about it. Will be dead as a doornail if you wake up in the middle of the night, which is what I mainly rely on lume for. I'm a lume junky and bought a Traser Officer to scratch that itch.

2) Seems like the batteries have lasted 2-3 years each. I've also replaced the band once or twice (before discovering it fit my 22 mm NATO strap collection and I took the rubber band off).

3) No regrets at all. Here's what kept happening, and in a way this stupid watch got me into the idea of taking watches a bit more seriously. I used to have a dress watch (generally a Citizen department store special with sub-dials) and also a beater watch. I cringe when I think about some of the G-shocks I just threw in the trash because they a) needed a battery and b) were a bit beat up. This habit started 30 years ago and I've ditched some watches that are now classics (sob!).

For some reason I couldn't throw this watch away. I'd even buy a replacement, and then I'd decide after all to replace the battery and keep this one on the dresser. It took me from being a two-watch guy to a 3-watch guy. And you know where that leads... I thought about tossing it every time it killed a battery or the wristband split on me. But where I think you may be looking at it wrong is it's a very solid hunk of diver-type watch (yeah, I know the bezel is stupid and goes both directions) with nice big hands and markers with a digital board thrown in as a bonus. Yes, it's a bit tedious to set (the minute hand jumps a bit when you set it, so if you're a nut about aligning the minute markers with the sweep seconds, as I am, it takes 2-3 tries), but if you sync the digital with the analog it WILL stay synched. Yes, the digital functions are very limited (and hard to use; I never have figured out the stopwatch well enough to really use it).

But all that said, you can get one for FIFTY BUCKS or thereabouts on Amazon. I defy you to get anything else that keeps good time and will last for years and sorta/kinda looks like a diver while being a respectable tool watch for anything like that price. And unlike a lot of other Casios, which are cool in their own way with all the blingy stuff (DAMN I wish I had just one of those OLD Casio G's back), it's an understated classy looking watch that I would wear with a suit in a pinch.

I got the black dial version for my teenage son, and it lives on his wrist - he loves it. If he ever decides to move on, I'm grabbing it, because the hands show up better on the black dial for my middle-aged eyes. Or maybe I'll buy myself one. Hey, $50...

It's on my wrist right now, even though I just bought a new watch, because it's NYE and I wanted a watch that was accurate to the second, but I didn't want to bother resetting a watch to a time signal. I looked over my watches on the dresser and it happens to be accurate TO THE SECOND with the time signal. I last set it when we switched to CST from CDT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Need your opinion about the amw320 models. Lately I purchased a couple of casio models and got interested in the popular AMW320 "Arnie". After some effort I found this model which I particularly fancied at a decent price from areatrend and ordered one after specifically asking whether the image was an accurate depiction of the product - http://www.areatrend.com/casio-amw320r-1ev-watch-78481.aspx I wanted this particular model since it looked different from the common model with green luminescent paint but rather one with orange hands and golden luminescent paint around the hands and the dots. I ended up paying 120dollars for it including customs and shipping. Today I received the watch but got very disappointed since in my opinion they've send me the normal model so to speak rather than the model advertised on their website. This is their answer to my complaint: "We have viewed the image on our site as well as the image you have provided of the watch received and can confirm that this watch is listed correctly. The numerals and dots on the dial of the watch are luminous which does mean that they glow and reflect this different color." I'm rather confused since in opinion they are two different models. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,172 Posts
I think the watch in the ad is the watch i pictured in my reply on page 1 of this thread.
I dont know all Color Versions of this model but im in doubt if casio has any fancy orange glowing lume in their lineup. :think:

Need your opinion about the amw320 models. Lately I purchased a couple of casio models and got interested in the popular AMW320 "Arnie". After some effort I found this model which I particularly fancied at a decent price from areatrend and ordered one after specifically asking whether the image was an accurate depiction of the product - Casio Men's Core AMW320R-1EV Black Resin Quartz Watch I wanted this particular model since it looked different from the common model with green luminescent paint but rather one with orange hands and golden luminescent paint around the hands and the dots. I ended up paying 120dollars for it including customs and shipping. Today I received the watch but got very disappointed since in my opinion they've send me the normal model so to speak rather than the model advertised on their website. This is their answer to my complaint: "We have viewed the image on our site as well as the image you have provided of the watch received and can confirm that this watch is listed correctly. The numerals and dots on the dial of the watch are luminous which does mean that they glow and reflect this different color." I'm rather confused since in opinion they are two different models. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks d2mac. The watch in the ad you pictured is a what I meant which has also golden/orangish numbers on the bezel and golden coloured leltters & numbers for Casio brand name etc. Definitely it's not the same model that I have received from areatrend where they state that it's the same model they advetise.

CAM00233.jpg

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I got my first Casio AQ-110 back in 1995 and i absolutely loved it.
AQ-110-1.jpg

Been on the hunt for a minty condition long time and finally gave up. So i got both (Arnie Watch) AMW-320R and AMW-320B and swapped modules.
It started with these
51plqlGG0xL.jpg 51IRYxEjMiL.jpg

And now I have :
15838273502_7d0f8b335b_b.jpg

Love it very minute of it. Never regret it. I never had second arm is falling behind or rushing forward. It is maybe a hustle to set everything up, but it is great watch overall. Low profile. It is classic and why it has to be complicated inside?
I maybe have soft spot for G-Shocks but it is nice to have a couple low profile watches that fit nice under long sleeve shirt.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Damn, you almost got every variation! What happened to this one?
Obtained it dead thinking a battery would revive it....nope. White dials are getting scarce, so it is a spare, parts watch.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks d2mac. The watch in the ad you pictured is a what I meant which has also golden/orangish numbers on the bezel and golden coloured leltters & numbers for Casio brand name etc. Definitely it's not the same model that I have received from areatrend where they state that it's the same model they advetise.

View attachment 2563274
Are you saying these two watches aren't the same? The one above is your watch? The one below is the one you wish it was?

amw320r1ev-604-604.jpg

They are the same. Yours is a real watch, the one in the ad is an artist depiction or an enhanced photo but they are the very same watch. Yours is how that model looks.

Or...I am totally missing something here, I'll admit I am confused by the whole thing.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Are there two seperate timekeeping modules inside these watches or do the analog and digital functions both run on the same oscillator? I would be annoyed if the alarm setting wasn't reflective of the time shown on the hands, in the event the digital component gained or lossed more time than the analog.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts