WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the type of the guy that hate the need to set the day/date window every other month or so for analog watches. But coming from an analog/digital root, some of the analog watches are just too beautiful to let my eyes off from them. I've been looking at the EFM-100 for long while now. Then recently, darn you show-off'er in here :-d, I can't get my eyes off the MTF-E001, which is a model I did not know exist before. So comparing the two models, I can't help to see a lot of similarities. One thing immediately is that they both have large hour and minute hands. They also near identical size and weight from the specs below. They used the same battery as well. The primary difference are: they use different type of rotational bezels; one is 200M WR and the other is only 100M; one has date/day window the other only date.

EFM100.jpg MTFE001.jpg

EFM-100MTF-E001
Module52495116
Lume Type(?) Not SpecifiedNeoBrite
3 HandsYesYes
Hour MarkersBox ShapeBox and Numeric
Display WindowDate/DayDate only
Bezel Use ForTiming in minutes (60min)Direction (360 degrees)
Bezel RotationBy HandBy Additional Crown
Crystal TypeMineralMineral
Case TypeStainless SteelStainless Steel
Screw BackYesYes
Screw In CrownYesYes
Band TypeResinResin
Water Resistance200M100M
Accuracy+/- 20 sec / month+/- 20 sec / month
Battery TypeSR626SW x 1SR626SW x 1
Battery Life3 Years3 Years
Case H x W x D50.0 x 46.0 x 12.5mm51.00 x 45.00 x 13.10mm
Weight100g103g

So I like to ask the respective owners on the two watches:
1. How good is the lume?
2. Is the second hand lumed?
3. How long the battery lasts in your experience?
4. Why you choose the watch?
5. What's your preference between the two?

If you're not a owner for either, but have some good inputs, feel free to chime in too. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have just ordered the EFM-100-1A4 (stainless steel strap and orange bezel). I almost ordered the blue bezel one and may still buy it at the end of Jan. I also looked at the MTF watch but didn't want the extra crown for the rotating slide rule and the EFM-100 to me is more of a classic style Divers watch along the Rolex Sub lines. Plus with 200m water resistance it's better sealed in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steven, don't forget to show us some pics and some lume shots.

No one else own these or want to comment on their EFM-100 / MTF-E001? At least show some Lume shots, please. Yes, I'm a lume junkie. ;-)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks Steven, don't forget to show us some pics and some lume shots.

No one else own these or want to comment on their EFM-100 / MTF-E001? At least show some Lume shots, please. Yes, I'm a lume junkie. ;-)
I'll get some lume shots for you, as soon as the battery charges in my camera, it's dead.

·
Registered
686 Posts
So I like to ask the respective owners on the two watches:
1. How good is the lume?
2. Is the second hand lumed?
3. How long the battery lasts in your experience?
4. Why you choose the watch?
5. What's your preference between the two?

If you're not a owner for either, but have some good inputs, feel free to chime in too. Thanks in advance!
Waiting on camera to charge so I'll try to answer a few questions and post a few pics. Lume shots later.

I will add one thing to you list of features above. The MTF's have a screw down crown as noted, but the crown for the bezel is not. It does however use a tight fitting O-ring to seal and it seems to do it's job since a friend that owns one never takes his off (including showering ) and it hasn't leaked yet.

I liked the look of the MTF and bought one without knowing much about it. I wasn't disappointed and I still like it...them, I own three. The second was purchased as a backup because I liked the first one so much. The third is a all black MTF-E002 chrono...why not? :)

I own a lot of watches but I get more comments when wearing these than any other, people do notice them. Thinking about it I don't remember any comments on the chrono except from my wife, she likes it. Two of my friends bought a MTF-E001 after they saw mine. One day when I was wearing mine almost daily they both came to pick me up to go to shooting and I noticed they were both wearing theirs, I hate that, I went back in the house and changed my watch. Three guys all wearing the same watch is just weird.:-d I haven't worn mine as much after that and have since discovered GShocks.

The lume is a little better than most Casio's mostly because there is more of it. I don't understand why Casio hasn't figured out how to buy lume that works as well as Seiko or Citizen. It's not expensive so using a better lume wouldn't add more than 50 cents to the cost.

I can't help with the battery life since none of mine have needed one yet. It is a small battery but it doesn't have to do much compared to a GShock analog/digital.

I have had one of mine apart to change a broken crystal, it came that way. I didn't notice anything that made me think it wasn't worth the cost. Solidly made and heavy, keeps good time and rugged good looks.

Some pics that you may have already seen.

I have a Bertucci NATO on this one, IMO the best NATO strap made. I really like it on this strap.
CasioMTFE001001.jpg

Here's the MTF-E002
CasioMTFE002001.jpg

All three
CasioMTEs001.jpg

Here's the one when it was waiting on it's new crystal. I thought I had a pic of the movement but I don't but you can guage it's size by the movement holder in the pic.
CasioMTFE001003.jpg

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... Three guys all wearing the same watch is just weird.:-d I haven't worn mine as much after that and have since discovered GShocks...
Ha ha ha... :) I guess it's like 3 ladies with the same dress at the same time!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ha ha ha... :) I guess it's like 3 ladies with the same dress at the same time!
Two is bad enough! Once a friend talked me into going on a blind date with a friend of a girl he wanted to go out with. So we both go to the one girls house to pick them both up, we were going to go to a club where our other friends would be. When they answered the door dressed identically I could have choked my friend that arranged that. One was tall and blond the other was a short brunette both wearing the exact same outfit. I decided we would go see a new movie where nobody would see us with them, American Graffiti...that's how long ago this was.

I got some lume shots for you but it didn't go as I had planned, like the date above.

I had planned on a longer time between the shots but my camera just won't do what I wanted. After 15 minutes it will not capture anything, not enough time for the correct exposure. I miss my 35mm cameras.

I stayed in the darkened room for the 20 minutes so my eyes adjusted to the darkness. After 20 I had no problem telling the time on any of the watches, but the MTF-E001 was the dimmest. But not really included in this test was the MTF-E002 off to the left and it didn't get the direct charging light the others did, it did much better. Maybe because it is much newer.

MTF-E001 - Citizen - GShock G1200
Lumetest001.jpg

This pic was 5 minutes after I turned off the light. The picture is close to how my eyes saw it.
Lumetest002.jpg

I'm sorry I couldn't take it further, need a better camera.

I just now went back to the room almost an hour after the first pics that is still dark and with my eyes unadjusted to darkness I can still read the time on all four. The Citizen is the brightest and I'm sure it will still be readable hours from now. The MTF-E002 is much brighter than the MTF-E001 but not as bright as the G1200.

That's the best I can do, hope it helps some. If not you can at least laugh at my date story.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very well done man! That's more than helpful to me. Obviously Casio lume is still no compare to Citizen as you proved, not to even mention Seiko. But a G with a better lume? That's a surprise! I always thought all G's have mediocre lume, even compare to other lines of watches in Casio. This proved me wrong. I think you're probably right that the difference between your E002 and E001 is due to age. It's also possible that they put a bit more lume to the E002 because it's pricier. Anyway, thanks for doing this.

As a comment for your post before this, I don't think the E001 (or E002 for that matter) is designed for withstanding the shock of shooting. It's easy to see from your photo when it was taken apart, there's little padding compare to G's. A few times of target practice may be fine, but prolong exposure to shock may just shorten its life. Glad you decided to go with G's, they fare much better with that activity.

For your date story, I always thought it's ladies who hate another lady showing up with the same dress. But the ladies you and your friend dated, obviously they didn't mind wearing the same dress! Turned out it was You who disliked dating a lady wearing the same dress as your friend's date, the other way around. ;-) I guess it would be fine if you were dating them both by yourself, like having two E001's. LOL :-d

·
Registered
66 Posts
I chose my EFM-100-1A4 for it's looks and I have seen a leather strap I am going to buy to accompany it too. I use my Seiko 5 Sports watch for the lume which last through the night on my bedside cabinet.
My new Citizen BY0100-51H watch has great lume too but I leave it on the window sill at night so it gets it's atomic-time signals.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi guys,

does anyone have any photos with the Orange Casio EFM-100D-1A4 on a NATO strap. I have ordered it and would like to save some time and order a nato strap but I am looking into color options. Thanks!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
You should be able to get a good idea what it will look like looking at separate pictures.
Mine arrived today from Las Vegas.
Very nice watch.
I've literally just finished adjusting the bracelet to size and it fits perfectly.
The orange bezel is a lovely matt orange finish. Like a burnt orange in colour.
I'm very pleased with it.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So, my resistance to the beauty of these two watches was futile, I bought both. :-d Little did I know that I will discover yet another weakness of Casio's analog watches and in general for most affordable quartz analogs. Read on, I will explain below.

First some shots of both watches. They're no doubt beautiful for the eyes.
lineupboth2.jpg
lineupboth.jpg
efm100closeup.jpg efm100back.jpg
mtfe001closeup.jpg mtfe001back.jpg

For the watch band, the MTF-E001 clearly wins out for comfort. It's band's thinner and more flexible, with nice decorative roughness on the outside and yet smooth on the inside for comfort. The EFM-100's band is thicker and stiffer, as well as it's smooth on the outside but rough on the inside, opposite to the MTF-E001 band. As I measured, the MTF-E001 weights 101g and the EFM-100 weights 96g. Despite EFM-100's 5 grams lighter, it's not as comfortable on wrist. Its band make me feel like I'm kind of wearing my car's accessory belt. ;-) Unfortunately, Casio only make the metal band to come with the orange dial version, but not this blue dial version. Here are some close-up pics of the bands.
efm100band.jpg
efm100band2.jpg efm100band3.jpg
mtfe001band.jpg
mtfe001band2.jpg

For the Lume, the MTF-E001 clearly wins out as well. Until I attempted to take some lume shots, I didn't realized how hard it is. Pics I took are nothing compare to TixTox's lume shots above, but still give a clear idea which one's brighter. Condition for the individual lume shots below (first 2 pics): approx. 5min close exposure to indoor CFL light and waited approx. 2min before pictures were taken. For the lume shot of both watches together (3rd pic): approx. 1/2 hour exposure to natural sunlight and waited approx. 5min before the picture's taken. As you can see in this case, the indoor light's a much more efficient way for 'charging' your watch lume. By approx. 30min in the dark, doesn't matter what condition for exposure, both watches' lume is too weak to be captured by my camera (though still visible to the eyes). The MTF-E001 is probably the best lume offered by Casio in this price range, with the EFM-100 probably closely behind. So keep in mind that they're not bad at all.
lumeshotmtfe001.jpg lumeshotefm100.jpg

lumeshotboth.jpg

Now the weakness both watches suffered, with the EFM-100 the worst. The weakness as observable by the naked eyes: the second hand does not line up with the second marks (increments) on the dial. For an automatic analog watch, the second hand is a continuous sweep, so not an issue for lining up with the marks on the dial. But for a quartz analog, where the second hand ticks by the second, it's not a pretty sight if the hand clearly missed its marks. It's also an indication of poor quality and precision for the quartz movement. For most affordable quartz analogs, not just Casio, they use plastic gears instead of metal ones, and aimed for mass production rather than than precision quality control.

If you divide the watch dial into 4 quadrants, the EFM-100 missed the second increments in all 4 (missed multiple ones in each), and the MTF-E001 seemed to miss the second increments mostly in the lower 2 quadrants. As you can see from the detail close-up photos below, the EFM-100's second hand for many times during one rotation, tick to the middle of two increments and clearly missed the mark! For a watch labeled as the Edifice band, and as a beautifully designed replica of the classic dive watch, it's totally unacceptable for these jarring errors! The MTF-E001 suffers the same, but in a lesser extend.

efm100q2.jpg efm100q1.jpg
efm100q3.jpg efm100q4.jpg

mtfe001q2.jpg mtfe001q1.jpg
mtfe001q3.jpg mtfe001q4.jpg

For proving that it's not just one watch suffering misalignment of second hand and possibly due to rough handling during shipment, I went to a store and observed another EFM-100 in display. The displayed watch suffered the same issue for the second hand, but to a lesser extend. Funny thing is if you look back to my first post, the two stock photos of the watches also showing the second hands missed the marks! Yes, those were stock watch pics from Casio websites. If you observe TixTox's photo of his MTF-E001, you can see the second hand's also missed its mark. So it's pretty conclusive, this is a manufacturing quality issue, not an isolated incident.

By curiosity, in the same store, I also observed Seiko and Citizen brand quartz analogs. Most of their quartz analogs precisely line up with the marks, with only 1 Seiko missed few of the marks. Most are much higher price than the Casio's as well.

The EFM-100's no longer with me at this point, it has been returned. Despite its beauty, I just can't take its significant lack of precision. Beauty is only skin deep, you know. ;-)

Reactions: wemedge and Marrin

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Geez, only 60 or so views since I posted this yesterday, and half of that it's just me clicking on my own thread. ;-) I guess there's not a whole lot of love for analogs here in the G-shock forum, especially with me proving they suck above. :-d

As I read more, the misaligned second hand phenomenon pretty much plagues all single stepper motor quartz analogs, including more expensive brands. I will probably keep the MTF-E001, but that would be my last quartz analog of this kind. Much better off with smarter ana-digi's which give the user the option to align the hands automatically. Casio got plenty of those.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts