WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok finally convinced the wife to let me buy a nice dress watch provided her set criteria for what she thinks looks good on me is met hehe. Ok so I need recommendations for below $900 au for a dress watch meeting the following criteria:

1. Automatic (or quartz with perpetual calendar)
2. Leather strap
3. Textured dial
4. 40mm and above case diameter (yea I know big for a dress watch but it's what she wants)
5. Level of seiko or better (so no parnis recommendations though I love them myself sigh)

I like the look of the Le Locle but the Mrs finds it a bit small for me. Plus she already wears one lol...

Looking forward to recommendations from the best crew on this forum :D

P.s. even a one watch kinda guy needs at least three watches hehe :D

· Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh man THATS the watch I wanted to buy. But the Mrs didn't like it :( still working on her though :D

· Registered
3,571 Posts
900 aussie dollars is just as near to 900 usd.
With this amount of cash, you can easily get SWISS Autos with good specs.
Give the mcro-brands a shot. Such as Steinhart... or Archimede?

· Registered
4,841 Posts
The Hamilton is a great rec. I had that exact model and it was fantastic. Got rid of it because I prefer something with a little more contrast and a little less size.

Don't worry too much about the strap. Good looking aftermarket leather is easy to find.

How about a higher end Seiko? The SARB065 hits all the marks.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

· Registered
705 Posts
Looks like DPflaumer beat me to the punch by one minuet lol
How about this Seiko automatic I love the dial! 40 MM
I am still waiting to pull the trigger on the PRS516. Should be soon!
SeiyaJapan | Grand Seiko | G-Shock | Seiko Spirit | Prospex | Marinemaster | Citizen | SEIKO Mechanical SARB065 Cocktail Time

This time Seiko & Ishigaki-san collaborate to produce watches.

• Listed price: 57,750JPY
  • Made in Japan!!
  • Case : SS
  • See-through back
  • Lug width 20 mm
  • Crystal: Hardlex
  • Diameter: 40 mm (without the crown)
  • Thickness: 13.1 mm
  • Movement: 6R15 23J Automatic (with Hand winding and Hack function)
  • Accuracy: +25/-15 sec/day
  • Power reserve: 50 Hour
  • 5 ATM water resistance

· Registered
8,342 Posts
Maybe the Prometheus Signatura? 42mm sounds like your size, $580, Sellita movement and beautiful design developed in public here on WUS. Dial isn't textured, but I think it looks best as is. (Dials in black and white, metal bracelet easily swapped for leather.)

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Reactions: LBCGoat

· Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys all great suggestions. But I have to say the number of times I hear people raving on about their SARBS and the number of times ive seen it recommended here has sold me. Just hadn't realized it came in this particular variation. Plus I get in-house movement :D thanks all. So yea kinda made my mind up but still open to suggestions.

· Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whoa just realized the SARB is quite tall? Any experience with how well it sits underneath a shirt cuff. Ideally I would prefer 12 or less. So the search continues. Any other suggestions? I still like the idea of joining the SARB club tho lol

· Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Love the watch but already ruled it out as you will note in my original thread ;) my wife has one hehe

· Registered
4,841 Posts
Whoa just realized the SARB is quite tall? Any experience with how well it sits underneath a shirt cuff. Ideally I would prefer 12 or less. So the search continues. Any other suggestions? I still like the idea of joining the SARB club tho lol
I wouldn't worry too much. The SARB017 is also 12mm and it fits under a cuff wonderfully. The SARBs wear quite thin due to the curvature of the lugs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.