WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, thanks for reading my question. I have been attempted to purchase a gw9400 from seiya or rakuten recently since functionwise this watch looked very nice. My only concern, however, is that whether this watch is comfortable to wear especially when the CF strap is concerned (I know "comfort" is subjective and may vary for different people, but I still would like to hear some experience from who own one..). I have a gw9300 mudman and the CF strap is really uncomfortable for me, it is stiff and does not fit my wrist very well. The watch just tended to slide towards my palm, and the chunky mudman then made bending my palm backwards a little uncomfortable. I somehow heard that the CF strap on rangeman is much softer compared with the one on GWS5600, so I wonder if any one knows whether it is softer and more comfortable compared with a gw9300 mudman...

Thanks in advance! :-d

·
Registered
182 Posts
Have both watches and haven't noticed a huge difference in how the 2 of them wear, both I find very comfortable, but everyone's wrist different. Just had a close play with the both of them there and the 9400 does seems to have a little more pliable strap, not a massive difference in texture of inward side against skin, but does seem a little more flexible.
hope this helps woshixiaozh
p.s. Will be able to compare gw-s5600 strap as well soon

Regards Mairtin

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Have both watches and haven't noticed a huge difference in how the 2 of them wear, both I find very comfortable, but everyone's wrist different. Just had a close play with the both of them there and the 9400 does seems to have a little more pliable strap, not a massive difference in texture of inward side against skin, but does seem a little more flexible.
hope this helps woshixiaozh
p.s. Will be able to compare gw-s5600 strap as well soon

Regards Mairtin
Mairtin, thank you very much for your helpful information. I guess it is because the 9400 strap has two lines of holes it is a little more pliable. God how I wish I can try one on before I make the purchase :-(

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mairtin, thank you very much for your helpful information. I guess it is because the 9400 strap has two lines of holes it is a little more pliable. God how I wish I can try one on before I made the purchase :-(
There is a slight texture difference between them with 9400 feeling slightly more... Rubbery I guess. My advice is take the plunge, the Rangeman is an AWESOME piece of kit, worth every penny, cent, yen etc

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I know 9400 is awesome and could be my last g-shock (liar, I admit). If it was not the regretful experience of the 9300 strap I would have grabbed a 9400 as a no-brainer. Your information made me really want to pull the trigger. Time to sell my 9300 for the money!

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
Unless you subject the Rangeman to extreme conditions where the strap might get severe stresses, the CF band is overkill. Whenever I've seen G-Shock watches that had experienced an incident or accident, the buckle or spring pins had popped giving way with the band completely intact. With other releases that had CF bands prominently distinguished by different cosmetic treatments or exposed carbon fibers showing on the outside, there's a visual appeal in the difference. But with the Rangeman, the multi-layered resin strap has the CF layer on the inside... so it's not visible from the outside.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
xevious, I totally agree with your argument. Everybody knows that CF band/strap, or even the concept of shock resistence is not extremely necessary, say maybe an overkill. It is just a fancy cosmetic, or marketing thing. People wear fragile mechanic watches for years and they seem to be quite happy with that. And, like you, I totally have no idea why Casio put the transparent resin only INSIDE the band...

·
Registered
877 Posts
CF is obvious overkill, though it looks very sweet on the S5600 and I find the S5600 strap gets very comfy as it warms up during wear. I can think of no practical value in having a strap that has crazy tensile strength, but durability in the face of harsh and repeated changes in temperature and humidity might be valuable? CF straps probably won't catastrophically fail with age, but you still need a point of failure in case your watch gets caught. Spring rods are your friend. I like G10 straps but they.. uh.. seem like they could be a liability in CQC or a war-zone? Maybe. I've not had to fight in one! I don't think the King has a spring rod in the buckle or the case, like the 1000 Frogs, and I think that is a BAD IDEA!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You could always go with the ER version which I believe does not have the CF band. I picked one up last week from Kleepsoo, it hasn't shipped out yet they said within 10-15 business days.
Thanks for the information. I am at America and I guess by the time kleepsoo ships their product (15 business days) 9400 will be for sale at America, too... Hopefully this time they won't remove the atomic feature just as they did to G9300. A resin strap sounds much more comfortable than a CF band I guess.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the information. I am at America and I guess by the time kleepsoo ships their product (15 business days) 9400 will be for sale at America, too... Hopefully this time they won't remove the atomic feature just as they did to G9300. A resin strap sounds much more comfortable than a CF band I guess.
Actually they are planning on a release at the end of November. Hope that helps you with your decision. And the non CF version also has atomic timekeeping.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just ordered one from e-bloom on rakuten. Hopefully this watch is comfortable to wear or else it will break my heart!

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
Just ordered one from e-bloom on rakuten. Hopefully this watch is comfortable to wear or else it will break my heart!
I think all of the reviews are positive on the comfort of both the CF and all resin bands. Toby said his Rangeman is more comfortable than his Riseman, and that watch is known to be comfortable. Thus, unless you've got a very peculiar wrist geometry, you should be happy with the fit. :-!

I agree with Rogerlike that the CF presents a better longevity than the resin, over a very VERY long time. While older resin formulations have been known to eventually suffer from rot (talking like 10-20 years), later formulations seem to be proving much better. And if you're OCD, you can always buy extra straps. ;-)

Oh and just to be clear--the casing and module is identical for both Japanese and international releases. The band is the only notable difference.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think all of the reviews are positive on the comfort of both the CF and all resin bands. Toby said his Rangeman is more comfortable than his Riseman, and that watch is known to be comfortable. Thus, unless you've got a very peculiar wrist geometry, you should be happy with the fit. :-!

I agree with Rogerlike that the CF presents a better longevity than the resin, over a very VERY long time. While older resin formulations have been known to eventually suffer from rot (talking like 10-20 years), later formulations seem to be proving much better. And if you're OCD, you can always buy extra straps. ;-)

Oh and just to be clear--the casing and module is identical for both Japanese and international releases. The band is the only notable difference.
I guess the CF band on my 9300 cast a large shadow over me in regards of comfort :-d. Speaking of resin band, I used to wear a G7510 for about 8 years and for a long time I have been dreaming that someday the strap would break off so I had an excuse to buy a new one, but it seemed to last forever. Then I started wearing a GWM5610 with a GW5000 strap, and my wrist was spoiled.

And thanks for the reminding, yes I know they are identical. I just cannot wait until it is released in north America, and I was a little hesitated in buying an European model from klepsoo since I never heard of it... Rakuten, on the other hand, seems to be quite popular here.

Now it is only a problem of selling my 9300 on ebay...:-|

·
Registered
443 Posts
Another minor difference - I believe the JDM models have 'GW-9400J' on the case back vs 'GW-9400' for the international releases.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another minor difference - I believe the JDM models have 'GW-9400J' on the case back vs 'GW-9400' for the international releases.
I think I read on a thread here that the euro models have a mysterious "m" marking on the back case which cannot be seen on a JDM model.:-s

·
Registered
182 Posts
You will love it, I have a BM-100 from 1989, first barometer/altimeter casio, still going strong to this day, the resin band on it gave way about 7/8 years in, had it on Zulu strap since, my Rangeman will hopefully have the same lifespan and with CF strap, should still be original come 2047 lol
Mairtin

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
Hi, thanks for reading my question. I have been attempted to purchase a gw9400 from seiya or rakuten recently since functionwise this watch looked very nice. My only concern, however, is that whether this watch is comfortable to wear especially when the CF strap is concerned (I know "comfort" is subjective and may vary for different people, but I still would like to hear some experience from who own one..). I have a gw9300 mudman and the CF strap is really uncomfortable for me, it is stiff and does not fit my wrist very well. The watch just tended to slide towards my palm, and the chunky mudman then made bending my palm backwards a little uncomfortable. I somehow heard that the CF strap on rangeman is much softer compared with the one on GWS5600, so I wonder if any one knows whether it is softer and more comfortable compared with a gw9300 mudman...

Thanks in advance! :-d
I have a GW-9300GB, and a GW-9330A, both with the CF strap. The 9330 is comfortable to me, but its strap seems to be slightly more "plastic-y" than the Rangeman strap. I have a 7.25 in wrist, and all I can say is that the Rangeman has been unbelievably comfortable on my wrist. It's not just the strap, but the case sits very well on top of my wrist. It's so comfortable that I could easily forget that I'm wearing it! (and I've worn it constantly ever since I got the watch, nearly 3 weeks ago...which for me is unheard of)

Reactions: MCZK

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a GW-9300GB, and a GW-9330A, both with the CF strap. The 9330 is comfortable to me, but its strap seems to be slightly more "plastic-y" than the Rangeman strap. I have a 7.25 in wrist, and all I can say is that the Rangeman has been unbelievably comfortable on my wrist. It's not just the strap, but the case sits very well on top of my wrist. It's so comfortable that I could easily forget that I'm wearing it! (and I've worn it constantly ever since I got the watch, nearly 3 weeks ago...which for me is unheard of)
Thanks for sharing the information. My wrist is even thinner than yours, perhaps around 7" or so. Hopefully it will fit :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts