WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get a quote from ofrie, i sent two emails but haven't heard back for a long time. I hear Mr Ofrie can be pedantic about how he likes emails worded. So this is what I wrote, can someone give me advice?

Subject: Need price quote Omega Strap Case Ref :055ST1961150

Message Body:
Please quote price on original Croco strap.

Case ref: 055ST1961150
Strap number: 98000090 (19x16mm)
Watch: Omega De-Ville Prestige Quartz 4810.30.02

My details:
Kept private on this forum but included my full name, address and phone number.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Looks like you gave him all of the information.

The only other suggestion would be to give him a call or send a fax.

Bob is rather picky about his emails. He has an automatic filter and then personally decides which to open.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh great, I think the call is out of the question as I dont live in the states. Maybe a fax... I'll see what happens with the emails.

Any suggestion on other sources for my strap (other then an AD)?
If things dont work out, I'll get an after-market non-omega strap.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Isn't there a law that disallows shipping alligator and crocodile from the U.S. to other countries? I have some pretty vivid dreams, though. So, I might have made that up.

eric

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You got a point there too eptaz. I live is Australia and customs laws are harsh.
I'm off to hong kong next month, maybe I can guy it there.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
You are correct. This is part of the CITES convention (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) which the USA signed.

Isn't there a law that disallows shipping alligator and crocodile from the U.S. to other countries? I have some pretty vivid dreams, though. So, I might have made that up.

eric

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Looks like you gave him all of the information.

The only other suggestion would be to give him a call or send a fax.

Bob is rather picky about his emails. He has an automatic filter and then personally decides which to open.

Fr. John+
I had a couple emails go unanswered. Tried to make them short, concise, and that I was serious about buying, too.
Is business that good to ignore a customer?
Kind of made me not want to try again.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Otto Frei, as most supply houses, is not too excited about receiving e-mails. They are mainly in business to handle sales to jewelers & watchmakers who know exactly what they want and order by fax or telephone. Since e-mail can be a big time consumer and may contain computer viruses and/or trojans, spyware, etc., it is not the preferred way of doing business.

The fact is that spending a lot of time in an e-mail dialog with, at the end, a possible no-sale is not a good way to stay in business. If the telephone is used questions can be more quickly answered.

If you are not in-country you might have to consider a local source, perhaps an Omega dealer? In any event, the other posters are correct, a crocodile band could not be exported by Otto Frei from the USA. This fact is actually clearly mentioned on the Otto Frei website in the section on "Genuine Omega Alligator And Crocodile Watch Straps". Were you looking on the website?

If you purchase an after market band you probably could still fit an Omega buckle.

·
Registered
165 Posts
if he doesnt answer again, suggest that next time you will launch a denial of service attack on his servers, that should get his attention....lol

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Anon', have you tried any of the WUS sponsors?

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
if he doesnt answer again, suggest that next time you will launch a denial of service attack on his servers, that should get his attention....lol
Actually, judging from quality of his website, he may not know what that is. ;-) .

It is functional, though and to his credit, he's probably got the most complete watch parts site out there. I think it's taking the old guard a longer time to discover that you can do good business off the web, but you do have to be savvy.
Certainly was that way in my world with printers -they were the last ones to get into digital pre-press.

I can get Omega parts from my watchmaker, just spoiled by the ease that these things can be usually get done on the Internet.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
Hey AnonMoose, have you tried contacting the Swatch Group in Melbourne? If you have the correct part number, as you have, they would probably ship it to you if you pay by credit card over the phone. Ring them and ask to speak to somebody in After Sales. Worst-case scenario is that they'll tell you that you have to go through an Authorised Dealer and get them to order the strap. The only AD I know of in Perth is Watches of Switzerland in King Street. But try Swatch Group first. Their phone number is (03) 88443300. Nice and simple phone number, ain't it?
Good luck :-!.

teeritz

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I had a couple emails go unanswered. Tried to make them short, concise, and that I was serious about buying, too.
Is business that good to ignore a customer?
Kind of made me not want to try again.
I had dealings with him a while back and found him pretty rude. I got a snotty mail from him saying he cant be arsed to deal with idiots who dont know what they are talking about. He seems to have complete contempt for everyone and seemed to hate his job. I was under the impression that companies are there to give advice and guidance on products, not hurl abuse at them if they get a serial number wrong. I didnt bother getting back as there is usually someone somewhere who is helpful and glad of the business. Just my experiences with him, maybe I got him on a bad day. I remember being told by a sales assistant in a fairly high end shop in london that all customers should be treated the same as you never know who they are or how much money they have, or are likely to have in the future.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hey AnonMoose, have you tried contacting the Swatch Group in Melbourne? If you have the correct part number, as you have, they would probably ship it to you if you pay by credit card over the phone. Ring them and ask to speak to somebody in After Sales... (snip)
Good luck :-!.

teeritz
teeritz is right here mate - the guys at Swatch Melbourne (03 8844 3300) are even happy to get stuff in from Switzerland for you and will call you when it arrives (sometimes takes a month or so if it is part of a shipment).

Other than that, they have heaps of old stuff, bracelets for vintage models, hands for vintage, etc in stock!

Will, Anna, Lydia are all in the Spare Parts department there and are very nice people and will help you if you are not sure about your numbers, etc.

cheers

zambo

·
Registered
44 Posts
No doubt the supply stock at ofrei is good...but as to their attitude, anyone besides me reminded of Newman standing in line, petrified in using incorrect ettiquette in the famous Seinfeld "Soup ****" epidode?

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
No doubt the supply stock at ofrei is good...but as to their attitude, anyone besides me reminded of Newman standing in line, petrified in using incorrect ettiquette in the famous Seinfeld "Soup ****" epidode?
I'll pay more elsewhere to get treated right.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are you all referring to the otto frei site that is in Oakland, CA? I have had nothing but polite and helpful contact from that them. I even drove over one day and they let me walk around the warehouse and window shop and there were a couple of folks there happy to answer questions. I needed links and half-links for my SMP. At one point I ordered on line and they shipped it out same day and I got it the next.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts