WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Ireally want to buy a Seiko 6138 watch, but buying vintage scares me a bit. There are several 6138s currently on eBay, ranging from around $200 up toa gorgeous blue one priced above $1K. Many have repainted hands andafter-market dials. How good are those? Anyone has any experiencewith these?

BTW,regarding maintenance, being vintage watches, I'm pretty sure that those willneed some fixes. Do you think that spare parts for that movement arecommon enough or are they a problem to find? Other issues that I should take into account?

Thanks.

·
Registered
29,966 Posts
You will get better responses if you re-post this in either the "Seiko/Citizen" or "Pocket watch and Vintage" section of this forum.

Your question is pretty specific so you might get more detailed answers in one or both of those forums.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I'm very scared of getting a lemon and don't want to spend hundreds just to fix a watch of this kind. That kind of money would be better spent on a new watch.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hi guys,

Ireally want to buy a Seiko 6138 watch, but buying vintage scares me a bit. There are several 6138s currently on eBay, ranging from around $200 up toa gorgeous blue one priced above $1K. Many have repainted hands andafter-market dials. How good are those? Anyone has any experiencewith these?

BTW,regarding maintenance, being vintage watches, I'm pretty sure that those willneed some fixes. Do you think that spare parts for that movement arecommon enough or are they a problem to find? Other issues that I should take into account?

Thanks.

I tend to stay away from the aftermarket dial and hands ones as I feel the dial is the "soul" of the watch. Be careful of the ones coming out of the phillipines and if you buy one for around $200, most likely you will have to spend $400 to get it running right. Feel free to PM me ones you are considering and I can offer you some advice. Regarding parts, I have been collecting 6138 parts for years. Check out the 6138 build thread in my signature.

cheers, Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts