WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL My mom in law just called and asked me about what operating system I would want on a computer... LOL Guess that may be a Christmas gift. :)

So I run XP at work and home... is Vista good to go or should I stick with XP?

I was hoping for a Mac... but I think they are cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
It seems that Vista isn't that great a step forward, according to this article. I bought a new XP laptop last year, with the intent of upgrading to Vista when it was released, but I think I'm going to stick with XP.

But, from what I've read, experts seem to feel that Vista will be better when more software is written specifically to take advantage of it. Evidently, that hasn't happened to a great extent yet.

http://www.news.com/Windows-XP-outshines-Vista-in-benchmarking-test/2100-1016_3-6220201.html?tag=newsmap

·
Registered
222 Posts
I recently got a new tablet PC running Vista.
The diagnostics and attempts to help figure out a problem (like driver installation problems) is much better on Vista. On the other hand the backup facility on Vista sucks compared to that provided with XP (Vista does not allow you pick what files you want to back up, it's all or nothing).

At any rate. It took me about 2 days to get most of what was running under XP, running under Vista..

Beware of software that you're depending on that may not be ready for Vista in your environment.. In my case, the one piece of important software that I can't run on Vista is my company's VPN solution (XP only). There are Vista clients available, but my company will not support Vista at this time (some server changes need to be made), so I'm stuck.

Except for that, the pluses seem to outweigh the minuses.. be sure to have plenty of RAM.. in 'no user application running mode' Vista seems to be using .6-.7 GB or so (on my machine anyway).

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Vista is the better system. You will find it's more secure, supports higher resolutions, and is better at self diagnostics. My company uses multiple PC running Vista, as well as a few still running XP. Our VPN solutions work from a XP server on a Vista machine, so I see no problems there. And XP support will eventually be dropped, so you'll have to upgrade eventually.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Vista, but only if the computer is pretty fast.. ive heard about it being slow and not compatible with as many programs, to be expected really..

·
Registered
285 Posts
I work with this all day long !! IMHO, AVOID VISTA if at all possible. Microsoft has extended xp support You will be fine. If you get xp you can always upgrade to Vista if there is a legit reason. THIS IS IMPORTANT IF YOU START WITH VISTA YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO GO BACK TO XP!!!! Certain MFGs do not provide xp drivers. GOOGLE Vista problems for a preview. Good Luck! PM me if you have more questions.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Also assess what peripherals you have. Printer/fax/scanner/other as to whether or not they are supported under Vista. My understanding is quite a few things don't work.

Also there are numerous versions of vista. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/default.mspx The cheapest home version doesn't have the enhanced gui interface - which is alas a lot of the point of vista. If you run a version with Aero (the enhanced gui) you need ram and a GOOD graphics card. Low end on special pc's are either loaded with the cheap non Aero version of Vista called Vista Home basic or if they do have a version with Aero they don't have robust enough hardware to do much but make it crawl.

My brother in law had a 3 ghz machine with Vista Home basic and 512MB of ram. IT was dog slow. I would say you could get acceptable performance with 2gb of ram and a good graphics card.

A pc with Vista is cheaper than a Mac, but not much if you factor in the hardware needed to get the level of performance out of Vista that you could get on an iMac.

The other thing about Vista of course it's touted as "our most secure operating system ever.. blah blah, internet, blah blah" In essence they've made you click through intrusive dialog boxes to do many common functions and a lot of people get sick of that and turn it off.

Also consider in past, in the consumer line of pc's, as soon as a new version of Windows comes out, Dell et al only ship the new version on their pc's. If you are a corporate customer you can still get the previous version easily. This time though a couple months after Vista shipped pc makers started offering XP again because consumers demanded it.

Ultimately, if you're a Windows guy someday you'll run Vista unless you can make it another five years until the next one rolls out of the chute at Redmond. I think the biggest problem with Vista today is its made for hardware that will be common place 18 months from now. For now you need to pay a premium for upgraded ram and video cards. Beware of PC's loaded with XP that say Vista ready. They typically mean ready for the home basic version

I personally would go XP if I had to make that choice, but I personally got an iMac and run Windows when I need it in a virtual environment.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I work with this all day long as well...

If you like eye candy, have a big monitor and HW to run it (at least 2 GB preferably 4 GB RAM, kick ass processor and video card) than go for Vista just be ready for frustrations when half of your old hardware and software would not run

also

on ANY comparable machine XP is WAY faster than Vista yes even on high end models. But it's XP and it does NOT have eye candy that Vista does.

As for security as long as you have fierwall, god SW to clean bugs both XP and Vista will be secure enough.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I work in IT for a living. I would never consider a new Microsoft operating system, until the second service pack becomes available. Maybe even later for Vista.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
XP. Vista is still in its infancy and has a lot of speed/compatibility issues at the moment. Also, rumours are that there will be a Service Pack 3 available soon which will make XP 10% faster. I will switch to Vista eventually, but there's nothing Vista can offer me that's worth the change or justify the expense.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you plan to play the latest,greatest computer games with the latest, greatest video cards then you will need Vista because it comes with DirectX 10. That's why I got it.

But like the Mac commercial says, you may end up needing a new Vista compatible printer. My old printer just wouldn't work correctly with my new PC. The margins just didn't want to work!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I used XP Pro since it was released and now have Vista. I prefer the Vista for most things but as some have pointed out not all software is compatible with Vista. The security is reasonable: the Firewall is a pain to manually configure but unless you do that it's pretty useless. Once done it's pretty tight. A little free app called Vista Firewall Controll really helps. Vista is a big and power-hungry OS, though, so if you don't have a plenty of RAM available go with XP or it'll be lunchtime before your computer boots up.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I work in IT for a living. I would never consider a new Microsoft operating system, until the second service pack becomes available. Maybe even later for Vista.
I 2nd that!!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have to date only had the bad luck to come across one PC running Vista, an alledged high end laptop..a Sony Viao. I installed some sensible software on it, if it works then use it is my creed, no need for the latest. I got the software installed eventually but then got memory issues, turned a few on screen toys off and it improved slightly and it was only slightly.
All my own pc's laptop and others run variations of XP and XP Pro..no problems as such, as any pc can be made to crash if you really push it.
I missed Windows ME, mainly due to not neededing it and boy am I glad I skipped a generation. I so far only ever met one person who had no problems with Win ME.
I even own a laptop that runs Win 98 perfectly with no crashes |>

XP had the same memory and driver issues when it was released so I wouldn't condem Vista just because of that, the variations of Vista do appear a little confusing though and not really needed.

Processor power and ram sizes are increasing but unfortunately so are the programs both OS and apps, whatever happened to making things as small as possible all the lazy coding on these apps etc make things work clunky, take websites where the designer gets lazy as these only work seamlessly with very fast connections and fast chips and lots of ram.

This site for me works slower on my PC but flies on my laptop and what is up with the search tab that the options are obscured by the advertising banner! :rodekaart

I myself will wait for the replacement for Vista.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,571 Posts
Dito that! I still have a studio computer/hard disk recorder working very smooth on Windows 98SE...

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
I only moved from Win98 to XP two years ago. My PIII 600 laptop was all I needed really, and I used that for 5 years. I still use it sometimes as my old scanner uses RS232 and I can't justify the expense in buying a USB one.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
Jeff, ultimately it's your choice. Just consider which would be easier for your mother-in-law to use, and which is easier for you to diagnose problems over the phone with if she has them.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I actually find these comments against vista entertaining. I guess it's all in which IT person you speak to. I've talked to 6 people that "work in IT", and every single one of them prefers Vista. It's all really preference. I have no issues running every single piece of software/software on my Vista machine. Heck, I put a new harddrive in my laptop, and loaded vista ultimate, and it was the quickest installation for an OS I've ever seen. I've worked on 4 XP boxes recently, and 3 Vista boxes, and I'd rather work on the Vista machines any day of the week.

But then again, I'm not afraid of change, and I like improvements I can see. I like new software, be it an OS, or a application.

Yes, you need "a lot" of ram to run Vista. Ram is cheap, and compared to some of the watches we buy, is utilized much more. Yes, you also need a pretty good chunk of hard drive space for Vista. Good thing storage is cheap too :). You need a decent processor. Well, if she does get you a computer, you can always upgrade the processor down the road for a little extra cash, if you find you need it.

It's a choice. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. But this is like a thread for "Frogman vs (insert any other G here)". There are those that like one or the other.

Good luck!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would go for Vista. If your comp is a little bit fast and the printer cq scanner is not to old.
Vista is than even better and, over a time, all is Vista. Many people go for XP but they have most a older system and hardware.
I have now Vista and never problems...Oh yes, one, my Mail is not spelling in Dutch....o|

1 - 20 of 34 Posts