WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Seiko model SPC131P1 (Perpetual) (movement = 7T86). For the life of me I can't find the fricking manual and I have forgotten whether or not I can pull the crown fully out and turn back the hands to adjust it to Daylight Savings Time. On most quartz watches I know you can do this. But this watch has a more complex complication and I don't know if turning the crown back (counterclockwise) will damage it.

Could sure use some help.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Doesn't your watch have an independent hour hand? On my perpetual Seiko, all I had to do (I literally adjusted it a couple of hours ago) was pull the crown to the mid position, rotate the crown one hour back and presto!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seabee

Thanks for the link.... I actually read that a week ago and nowhere in that manual does it mention whether or not you can roll back the hour/minute hands by turning the crown counterclockwise. I know that a good majority of the countries that Seiko sells their watches in don't observe what we idiots here in the USA do. DST is such a stupid, stupid idea, but that's another issue for another forum.

Again I appreciate the link, but been there, read that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't your watch have an independent hour hand? On my perpetual Seiko, all I had to do (I literally adjusted it a couple of hours ago) was pull the crown to the mid position, rotate the crown one hour back and presto!
Fastfras... explain "independent hour hand"...When you pull the crown out to position "one" (mid way) as with most watches the seconds hand continues to sweep... but the minute hand does rotate. In positon "two" (all the way out) the seconds hand stops... and of course the "minute hand" (the smaller one) will rotate as you do a full 360 of the face dial with the hour hand. My concern and this goes back from years of owning full manual watches with complex complications (day, date, etc.) that reversing the direction can cause damage to the movement (cogs, springs, etc.) I even went so far as to email Seiko USA support and have yet to get a reply from them. Could be because of this new thing that screwing up my time and others (Covid-19).

I appreciate the suggestion. Even though this is a cheap watch (under $300), I don't wish to ruin the movement. Wish this perpetual was as good and easy to adjust as my two Arnies and my 1968 Navitimer.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
The movement on my Seiko is a 8F56, if you look carefully to the bottom of the dial (by the 6 position) the movement number is printed there.

Sounds like you have a different movement since the 8F56 hour hand moves independently whilst the seconds hand continues to keep time - in my case this is with the crown in the middle position.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Try turning the crown, in the mid position, the opposite direction if my suggestion doesn't work.

BTW, I don't believe you can change the date on a perpetual calendar, so, in my estimation, turning the minute hand twenty three hours forward would give you the correct time without the date moving.

Failing this procedure, try posting the same question over on the Seiko forum, someone there will surely be able to provide you with better advise.

·
Registered
Solar forever!!!!!
379 Posts
I'm guessing there's an obvious reason you can't just stop your watch for 1 hour and then restart it???

Reactions: Aspyred

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Motorcycle Man,

I know with this Covid thing that we have a lot of "time" on our hands (please excuse the punn) but the "why can't you stop your watch for one hour and restart it"? Dah...yes I guess I could do that...! I wonder why Seiko didn't think of putting that in their manual? Would only take up a few lines on a page.

But Motorcycle Guy....is that the most obvious / logical method? Sit and stairing at you watch for one hour just so you can start it up again. Nahhhh, to me that is not logical or obvious. The most obvious thing is to find the correct way to roll it back without maybe damaging the movement. I wrote to Sekio twice concerning this...no reply.

Fastfras... I took your suggestion, somewhat, I pulled the crown out two full clicks, the hand in the "day" indicator automatically switched to Chrono and keeping my fingers crossed I turned it back the one hour. Upon pushing the crown back it, it automatically went back to the day function and the date and leapyear were correct.

Sure glad I didn't take the "obvious" and sit and watch it and waste an hour.

Again, many thanks to those who took the time to respond to my inquiry. Even you Motorcycle Man.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Yeah, even you Motorcycle Man...

OMG, that's pretty funny LOL. I actually thought it was a good idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts