WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My job, if you've been able to tell through other pictures (or if you cared enough to care) shows I work in the military (Guard). Currently, I'm activated full time and taking annual and military leave from my job.

I was just reimbursed for a trip that happened three months ago, and close to...well, a LOT of money just found its way back to me.

I own property, so that will come first, but with this payment I now have enough for seamless gutters on my property AND my new grail, the Omega Seamaster (https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/...axial-master-chronometer-42-mm-21032422006001)

So, for one, I need a good reason to save the $4750 ish (or whatever it will be) instead for some other adult reason, and/or, what did you do in this situation where a "dream" was suddenly attainable instead of safely and slowly saving money?

·
Premium Member
5,020 Posts
Have your cake and eat it, too: buy an SMP on the second-hand market and save $1k.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Check around online. You can pay a lot less than $4750 with some of the larger, most reputable grey market sites. In short - get the watch! You only live once and if you're in the military, you've already handled a lot of adult responsibility. Time to live a little. Taste the good life. You've earned it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
So, for one, I need a good reason to save the $4750 ish (or whatever it will be) instead for some other adult reason, and/or, what did you do in this situation where a "dream" was suddenly attainable instead of safely and slowly saving money?
Ummmm.... I'm bad and you probably shouldn't listen to me- but that money would go to the watch without even feeling guilty. The EXACT watch I want. No compromises. And then maybe the gutters.... Maybe.... There is that other watch though......hmmmm.....

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Probably the wrong place to talk down a Seamaster :p

I’d definitely go grey market and do some soul searching. Sometimes what we think of as grails do change over time..

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
This could be a real learning experience for you.....Do you have a decent amount of money saved? if not put it in the bank and keep saving. If you do, then go get it. Grey market watches don't offer the manufacturers warranty and if that's not important to you, then but it where you want.....

Reactions: Perseverence

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Buy used, in excellent shape, and convince yourself that it's an "investment." Worst case with a quality watch like that is you only get most of your original cash outlay back, should you choose or need to sell it. Best case is that it appreciates more than most comparable investments...

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
You could use the money for a motorcycle, a high performance chevy V8 engine for your hot rod, or a bunch of good guns & knives. Pretty much anything would be more useful and retain its value more than an Omega Seamaster.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Do you have enough in savings and are you solidly contributing towards retirement? Are you out of debt? If so, have at it. If not, I'd personally consider putting that money towards something fiscally responsible.

I've read where people have posted on this forum:
"I was about to buy my grail, and had my basement flood."
Well.....then they really didn't have enough saved to buy that grail and it would have been really financially irresponsible to do so.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I appreciate all the replies. Maybe asking a watch group for patience wasn't the right tack, but WTH, right?

I wouldn't go used - unless it's this model - because it's the first Omega Seamaster I actually want.

As far as other financial concerns, I utilize the military's 401K - called the TSP - both civilian and military sides, as well a range of options that run the gamut from risky like Bitcoin (tease me all you want, I just wanted to see what would happen), to oversafe like I-bonds.

Vehicle is paid off and mortgage is well in hand.

It's just I'm genuinely not used to having this opportunity because I've been too busy doing the slow, safe method. I wondered if anyone here had any "got'chas" I haven't thought about.

None of this has been with the intent to brag, I just wanted advice from others who may have a perspective or experience I don't.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yeah man, if you have the car paid off, no credit card debt, you're solid on retirement, and a 6 month emergency fund stashed away.....I'd say go for it. The .mil stereotype of mismanaged financials doesn't sound like it applies to you :-!

Just make sure you don't need that money for something tomorrow, or you'll end up at the pawn shop.
wBxJItd.jpg

1 - 20 of 50 Posts