WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

I'm looking at some ultrasonic cleaners for cleaning watch parts etc.
Is there a special fluid I should buy? Can i get away with a cheapie off ebay? Can damamage be caused to watch parts by this method of cleaning?

Thanks!

·
Registered
292 Posts
When it comes to ultrasonics, expect to spend at least $150 on one that is capable of holding 1 beaker worth of cleaning/rinsing solution. I have a L&R q140 which is capable of holding 2 600ml beakers at a time. L&R makes some top quality stuff. as for solutions, L&R also makes cleaning and rinsing solutions and so does Zenith.

M

·
0 Posts
Hey!

Is there a special fluid I should buy? Can i get away with a cheapie off ebay? Can damamage be caused to watch parts by this method of cleaning?

Thanks!
What I'm using:

- ELMA ultrasonic machine
- ELMA 1:9 solution (1 part of ammoniated solution for 9 parts of water): for clocks or 1st washing bath for really dirty watches.
- Rubisol, for watches
- 1st and 2nd rinsing bath with benzine.

If the watch is really delicate (real old watches), I'm only using benzine, but no ultrasonic method at all.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't want water based highly diluted chemicals touching my watch movement. Clocks are different for the most part and can be low-heat dried. If it has a balance bridge you remove it before cleaning as it is like a pocket watch. L&R makes a clock cleaner. Lots of other home brews.

I Googled Benzine. I did not see where it is banned. It is a highly flamable industrial solvent. Know carcinogen or known to cause cancer. It said it is found in some plastics, some bottled water and soft drinks. Well I love my cola. Also found in gas stations, fire fighters can get exposed. Public water systems probably screen for it. The list goes on. By the way=you "do not" want to know what is in your cereal. Food, got to love it, can't live with out it. I'll have another does of red dye in my bacon please! :-!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would have to look at my one dip. Some people can buy either from the drug store and dip hair springs. Sounds really flammable but my teacher said it. More to the point is the fact that people try and do get by with some strange methods. Naphtha=sans lighter fluid. White gas=about like Coleman fuel. Many died using Cy. but it is still used at times in the business. Does a nice job brightening some watch dials. Will kill you in less than a heart beat. Illegal to have in a private residence. Takes off any decals. People came in in the morning to find the watchmaker slumped over his bench. Vinyl used in furniture can turn to Cy gas. That is one reason people die in home fires.

Again if you experiment use in well ventilated areas. safety glasses too. One dip is vol ital meaning it evaporates very fast. You only have open about a spoon full in a lid for a second and drop the balance and hair spring into a special screened canister with box wood saw dust and shake the dust down. Pouring the remain g one dip back right away.
Note=I really don't mean to scare anyone. :-!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Isn't Benzine banned now?

Benzine should not be confused with Benzene.

Benzine is a somewhat archaic term for mineral spirits, also known as paint thinner or Stoddard solvent . It is one of the principle components of most non-water based watch cleaning solutions. It is flammable, but has a reasonably high flash point so it is not especially dangerous if sensibly used. (Don't heat it, and keep it away from flame and sparks, including those found in electric motors.) It is moderately toxic; use it with good ventilation, avoid prolonged breathing of vapors and contact with skin.

Benzene is a chemical compound that is the most fundamental of the aromatic hydrocarbons. It is a useful organic solvent, but it is carcinogenic so it is not recommended for casual use.

·
Registered
28 Posts

If you are a professional, cleaning as many watches as possible every day, then you need professional level equipment. If you are a hobbyist like me, cleaning one or two watches a month, you can get by with a lot less. I got an inexpensive ultrasonic from Harbor Freight and I am very happy with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts