WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, so i'm getting the itch to buy another watch. i currently have an alpha pvd pilot multifunction with orange hour markers, but i don't really like the color scheme, and the lume is no good. quality is another issue, as one of the subdial hands fell off and the rotor worked itself loose once, but i tightened the screw and it's good so far. other than that, it's been an ok watch. i don't really like the large size of it, 45mm.

i'm looking for a good beater/outdoor watch, non pvd, at least 50m water resist, day/date at least, can have subdials, strap doesn't matter, i'll put it on a nato band. preferably not a diver, but i'll consider one if i have to. i'd like it to be automatic, but it has to have hand wind also, so no seikos. max size would be 45mm, preferably smaller than that, but not too small.

if possible, i'd like a low beat movement, say, 18,000bph. this isn't crucial, but preferred if an option. i find the lower beat movements easier to fall asleep to when they're under my ear.

thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
Almost sounds like you could be looking for a Vostok Komandirskie. The only thing is that they are only 30m WR.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
for camping you should get a timex with indiglo, or a tritium watch since you'll be experiencing extremely low light conditions. Deep Blue has a watch for 99 bucks right now, check out the timex military classic in black for about 80 bucks, i like the looks of that one.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, i stumbled across this on ebay: Invicta Watch 6036 Men's Pro Diver Automatic Stainless Steel | eBay

it just caught my eye, and usually divers don't do that. i have to say, it's a good looking watch, but it doesn't handwind. i might buy it anyway. besides, i'll be moving a lot when i'm outside.

still, any more suggestions are welcomed.

oilers fan, i have looked at the vostok amphibia, but they aren't very good looking. i'd have to customize it a fair bit before i'd appreciate its looks. definitely would put a better bezel on it.

amuthini, thanks, but i'm looking for an automatic watch. i did see that deep blue though. it would be nice if it was an auto. but when i'm camping, i'll have an 800 lumen flashlight on me so if the lume goes dim i'll just give it a little flash.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
well, i stumbled across this on ebay: Invicta Watch 6036 Men's Pro Diver Automatic Stainless Steel | eBay

it just caught my eye, and usually divers don't do that. i have to say, it's a good looking watch, but it doesn't handwind. i might buy it anyway. besides, i'll be moving a lot when i'm outside.

still, any more suggestions are welcomed.
There are a lot of fans of the Invicta Pro Diver range here. I, personally, don't like Invicta as a company/brand because of their marketing practices (history of false back-stories and "Swiss" claims, fake MSRPs), but that doesn't mean the watches aren't great value.

I believe that they have started to use Seikos newer movements that do hack and hand-wind in many new models. You might look around and see what you can find.

Since you've brought up a diver, have you looked at the Seiko offerings (SKX007, Monster)? They are usually recommended by someone, no matter what criteria they post. For an outdoor beater, they'd be a great option. There are plenty of other great Seikos as well. Anything from the Seiko 5 line will be durable and affordable.
Seiko5SNZG15J.jpg DSC_3993.jpg

If hand-winding is important, anything with the new Seiko 4R3* movements would work. The SRP143/SRP145 and SNZJ watches have an orienteering bezel which would fit with camping:
p_550763.jpg snzj05.jpg

It is a little over budget, but with Bernhardt, you could get a sapphire crystal and higher end bracelet. My only problem with them is that the Binacle Anchor has an built-in/faux end link design that makes it look odd on anything other than the original bracelet.
6056373997_819a4cd149_z.jpg sharketc004.jpg

·
Registered
12,927 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts