WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just bought my first Bulova Accutron, a real beauty, a 1965 Bowtie with a 218D. I need to remove the movement to clear out a piece of fiber or lint that is stuck under the crystal and protruding into the watch enough for the second hand to contact it with each revolution. I do not see a release button or lever for the stem and I don't want to start unscrewing screws without knowing what I'm doing. How do I release the stem? Can someone help? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Follow the instructions below to release the stem. Be sure to read all of this before proceeding.

Note: Important - be sure that the stem is in setting position before removing the crown. If this is not done any touching of the watch hands may damage the indexing mecahnism.

When you replace the stem do not push the stem beyond the point of engagement with the pin on the setting lever. That is, note carefully the position of the stem in setting position before removing it to facilitate proper replacement in setting position.

Note: If the stem is pushed in too far this may depress the hack lever and turning the crown would then damage the indexing mechanism.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! Mission accomplished with perfection! Really appreciate your help! Great forum. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. I just bought my first Bulova Accutron, a real beauty, a 1965 Bowtie with a 218D. I need to remove the movement to clear out a piece of fiber or lint that is stuck under the crystal and protruding into the watch enough for the second hand to contact it with each revolution. I do not see a release button or lever for the stem and I don't want to start unscrewing screws without knowing what I'm doing. How do I release the stem? Can someone help? Thanks!
Does anyone know what size screwdriver it takes to do this? .5mm???
Mine is too large for some accutrons.

·
1,287 Posts
If you have an assortment with the common sizes, pick the one that best fits the screw you're turning. The 218 series has various sized screws, therefore various sized screwdrivers are needed. I've never seen anything that lists what size for each screw - experience will give you that.
Samantha

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello, hoping someone can help. I have an accutron 2181 and I followed the steps properly to remove the stem, but I must have messed up putting it back in. The watch is running but the hour and minute hands dont move and the crown cannot be pulled out anymore, it is stuck in the run position.

Any ideas?

·
1,287 Posts
My suggestion would be to find a watchmaker that is experienced in Accutrons, and specifically 218's, and have them fix it. It sounds like the setting mechanism has become disengaged, which will involve removing the dial and hands. The phasing should be checked once the dial and hands are replaced.
Samantha

·
Registered
36 Posts
My suggestion would be to find a watchmaker that is experienced in Accutrons, and specifically 218's, and have them fix it. It sounds like the setting mechanism has become disengaged, which will involve removing the dial and hands. The phasing should be checked once the dial and hands are replaced.
Samantha
Thank you so much for the suggestion. You were exactly right, the setting mechanism got misaligned.

The only place I could find in my area that would work on it wanted $1,000 to do the job!!

I decided that was way to much and went for it on my own. I managed to get the dial and hands off and fix the mechanism. Taking pictures along the way really helped and I will admit that I did lose the date detent spring and had to order another one.

So a $10 spring and some research and my accutron is back up and running at about 2 and a half seconds a day!!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I agree with BG, these work "reverse" of mechanical watches, in that there is a tremendous increase in torque from the index wheel up through the train to the motion works. They will literally grind themselves to dust while humming happily along.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If the watch has not been serviced in the last 5 years, it should be serviced. $1000 is excessive. $150-250 is more in line...depending upon requirements.
This is the penalty for negligent maintenance:
View attachment 14067453
Best regards,
BG
I would love to have it serviced, 2-300$ range definitely sounds easier to swallow. Do you happen to know any trustworthy places to have this done? I've seen places online but I don't know much about them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts