WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I have this watch, just wondered if anone of you out there Know anything about this watch it is a bentima Star 17 Jewel ladies watch.
any idea of age I think it could be art deco because of the style. It has a 9ct case.Thanks for aany help.Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
No I don't think it's Art Deco. Looks more like a 1950s watch to me. The brand is rather obscure I think. You don't find many 17 jewel Swiss watches from the 1930s. 15 is more normal in that era. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
No I don't think it's Art Deco. Looks more like a 1950s watch to me. The brand is rather obscure I think. You don't find many 17 jewel Swiss watches from the 1930s. 15 is more normal in that era. Thanks for posting.
Bentima is not so obscure in the UK. It was a London based company producing clocks with British movements.

See

http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/history of bentima.htm

They also applied their name to clocks manufactured by Kern & Sohne of Germany. The brand is currently owned by Acctim limited, but I don't know if its active.

At some time they must have moved into the importation of Swiss watches. There are lots of Bentima Star watches about - mostly from the 50's and 60's.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
:-! Thanks Mark. One of the advantages of being part of such an international forum is wide ranging knowledge such as that in your post. ;-)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much, for the link, and the information! I enjoy learning more about these watches, as my late father used to have watches and clocks all over the house as we were growing as he used to repair them. and enjoy looking through his many items he has left. unfortunatley I have sold a couple of lots on ebay perhaps I should have found out more about some of them. Once again many thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, I have this watch, just wondered if anone of you out there Know anything about this watch it is a bentima Star 17 Jewel ladies watch.
any idea of age I think it could be art deco because of the style. It has a 9ct case.Thanks for aany help.Cheers!
Hi - I have been told - don't have any evidence for it - that Bentima was a company registered in Leeds who imported Swiss movements for their clocks and watches..hmm?

I purchased a mint Bentima full hunter a few weeks ago on Ebay and I have to say it keeps amazingly good time. There don't seem to be many about though I did see one on Gumtree that sold for just under £40. The only other like mine - though very worn and not working - is advertised for around £80.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi - I have been told - don't have any evidence for it - that Bentima was a company registered in Leeds who imported Swiss movements for their clocks and watches..hmm?

I purchased a mint Bentima full hunter a few weeks ago on Ebay and I have to say it keeps amazingly good time. There don't seem to be many about though I did see one on Gumtree that sold for just under £40. The only other like mine - though very worn and not working - is advertised for around £80.
Did you ever succeed in finding out any more about Bentima? I just picked up one for £20 on the bay. It keeps time nicely and looks Art Deco style to me. I’m going to fit a new leather strap and send it for a professional overhaul.

Nobody seems to have any real info on the company or movement though.

044BEA6F-CBD5-4FC1-928E-EBC89E6C0AB6.jpeg 5C45E1B7-AF77-4CF4-8160-1F6F24036B8C.jpeg F03C7374-D352-4F53-B1FD-8EB76C7350DF.jpeg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts