WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum and so far looks like a great source of information. Im hoping I can get help with my new present, my first TAG HEUER purchase.
I purchased a WAF111C.BA0810

Bought this watch through the Internet because of the price and the online merchants reputation and ebay feedback. fyi i didnt buy on ebay but bought at there online store. not sure if i can mention website, let me know if i can and i will post were i bought it. Took some pics with my iphone. Hope they are clear and good enough for you to determin.

this card has some number on it that are stamped in. under store has letters URG. On lower left hand bottom corner has #00807007790 and lower right hand corner has a stamp that looks like the crest of TAG HEUER.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention I took this watch to 2 authorized dealers. The first looked at it and siad it felt a tad light. He opened that back up and siad it is was swiss quartz movemnt, but siad that it did not say TAG HEUER in the inside. Siad everything looks good and if this were a fake its the best fake he had ever seen. Still i didnt get a definate answer.

The 2nd guy looked at it with a jewlers thingy, (not sure what u call it) He also took out the display model and compared them both. He also siad look just like the display and couldnt find anything wrong. Also siad the same thing about the wieght. felt a tad lighter.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The # does seem to check out. My quartz movement does say TAG on it but that doesnt mean there were non without it. As for the weight did you feel a similar watch that you know is real? If they were comparing it to the mechanical chrono then yours would feel lighter.
I would think that it is real. I wouldn't think even a really good fake would bother with a swiss quartz movement. And a that point I think they would feel about the same in weight, so that wouldn't be a good way to tell them apart.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I compared it to a display model at an AD. They were the same model. Maybe its me but the weight was just a tad off? Bought my watch at thewatchery.com

·
Registered
455 Posts
just a quick google search and here on the forum seems like there is a lot of positive feed back about that place.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The # does seem to check out. My quartz movement does say TAG on it but that doesnt mean there were non without it.
I hardly see signed quartz movements any more. It used to be common in the 80s and 90s, but much less so on newer models. Not sure why.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So do you guys think this watch is authentic. Did alot of reading and really couldnt find any complaints on thewatchery.com, which is were i bought it.

Thinking of going to a local AD and buying same watch just so I can compare them at my leisure and not have a sales guy breathing down my neck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Forgot to mention I took this watch to 2 authorized dealers. The first looked at it and siad it felt a tad light. He opened that back up and siad it is was swiss quartz movemnt, but siad that it did not say TAG HEUER in the inside. Siad everything looks good and if this were a fake its the best fake he had ever seen. Still i didnt get a definate answer.

The 2nd guy looked at it with a jewlers thingy, (not sure what u call it) He also took out the display model and compared them both. He also siad look just like the display and couldnt find anything wrong. Also siad the same thing about the wieght. felt a tad lighter.

How can an AD not know a real TAG from a fake one when holding it in the palm of their hand.

Something is fishy here. You need to have clearer images and better spelling please.
<|

Matt

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
So do you guys think this watch is authentic. Did alot of reading and really couldnt find any complaints on thewatchery.com, which is were i bought it.

Thinking of going to a local AD and buying same watch just so I can compare them at my leisure and not have a sales guy breathing down my neck.
Everything looks correct. Stop worrying and enjoy your new watch!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
YEah ur right MAtt need beter pic's. Ill try to use a better camera and post some new pics of the watch. As for the spelling dont know if that will be better. The only thing i can think is the AD wants me to return and buy from them. Its kinda hard to get the AD to really help you and take there time and really look at the watch carefully considering you didnt buy the watch from them.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
How can an AD not know a real TAG from a fake one when holding it in the palm of their hand.
Well, it's pretty simple. Not everyone at an AD knows the ins and outs of every watch TAG produced nor is it their job to authenticate a watch. They sell and service watches but authenticity is beyond their scope - that's TAG's job. I doubt any retailer wants to be responsible for a transaction by two parties because he thought it was real. It calls in a liability issue.

Consider the Carrera fakes we have seen here lately. Most of us probably would see them as real and we have alot of experience with this brand.

Some ADs carry as many as 10-20 brands. I don't think they should know every model of each brand.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, it's pretty simple. Not everyone at an AD knows the ins and outs of every watch TAG produced nor is it their job to authenticate a watch. They sell and service watches but authenticity is beyond their scope - that's TAG's job. I doubt any retailer wants to be responsible for a transaction by two parties because he thought it was real. It calls in a liability issue.

Consider the Carrera fakes we have seen here lately. Most of us probably would see them as real and we have alot of experience with this brand.

Some ADs carry as many as 10-20 brands. I don't think they should know every model of each brand.

Wisconsin Proud ..Just because you comment on every thread doesn't mean your right.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Wisconsin Proud ..Just because you comment on every thread doesn't mean your right.
Easy now, have you been to a lot of watch dealers, went in and shopped and asked some questions? well a lot of the people behind the counter might know how to sell you a watch but dont know that much about the watch except what they read on the spec sheet. and a lot of todays fakes look just like the real deal so they just cant tell, so i would have to agree with Wisconsin on this one,

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
:-s

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you but I'm trying to answer your question in your post about WHY they can't verify fakes.

My experiences in several real stores has been as h2xmark describes. It just isn't logical for these people to know everything about each watch.

In fact, a store that I frequent will take the watch and send it to their main store for complete verification by their experienced watch repairman for a much mure educated opinion.

The last time I was in that store, they were packaging up two rather old Rolex Submariners for verification. This isn't a task the store takes lightly.

I don't make this stuff up to be "right" but it is what happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:-s

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you but I'm trying to answer your question in your post about WHY they can't verify fakes.

My experiences in several real stores has been as h2xmark describes. It just isn't logical for these people to know everything about each watch.

In fact, a store that I frequent will take the watch and send it to their main store for complete verification by their experienced watch repairman for a much mure educated opinion.

The last time I was in that store, they were packaging up two rather old Rolex Submariners for verification. This isn't a task the store takes lightly.

I don't make this stuff up to be "right" but it is what happens.
Well i am stuck. Both AD didnt give me a definate answer. Where is the serial number located on the watch? Going to vegas maybe i can take to an AD over there and see if thet can give me a better answer.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Well i am stuck. Both AD didnt give me a definate answer. Where is the serial number located on the watch? Going to vegas maybe i can take to an AD over there and see if thet can give me a better answer.
Under the WAF1110, near the edge of the caseback. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts