WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellow G Shockers,

After being a devoted G Shock Fan for years, I have decided to branch off and come up with my own watch company called Wunder Wurx. It is in the very beginning stages of design but I would LOVE to have feedback from you guys. This forum has helped me tremendously in the past year in terms of feedback and information and it has some of the best administrators and members in the world. That is why I tapping into you guys for your opinions.

Like I said, I love G Shock watches and have been a wearer for years. Above all, I like the way you can express yourself with the different colors available (Although not enough of a color choices to my liking). I wanted to incorporate some of the G Shock feel to this watch, but also wanted to give it a more fashionable and trendy look to it but mixing up different colors and coming up with a unique face. I have been working with a great design artist (Donny Garcia -http://www.donnygarcia.com check out some of his work, its awesome) and this is what we have so far.

Like I said, it is in the beginning stages but I welcome opinions!! Is this something you would wear/buy? What do you like/not like about it?

I know you guys will have some good feedback so I wanted to make the watch for the people, by the people.

Please help me get this company moving in the right direction!!

Jason C.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Here's my opinion: you're making a mistake by asking everybody what they think. Why? Because every other 'boutique' maker does the same thing. And all the watches end up looking basically the same.

Here's what you'll get:
Make it at least 44mm wide
Must have a sapphire crystal
Need to be able to reserve a special serial number
Gotta have a cool name
Movement must be ETA or automatic
Must give a choice of straps
Must have a customizeable dial/hands
Has to have a date window
etc, etc, etc, etc...

Do your own thing, don't ask anybody's bloody opinion and let the chips fall where they will. Make a watch you'd want to wear and I'll bet others will want to wear it also. Don't compromise and make another design-by-committee boutique watch.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Being A G-Shock enthusiast I like my watches to have the following traits.

Technology Infused (Solar/Atomic)
Water Resistance (200m+)
Cool Design (No weird shapes)
Large Size (44mm+)
Colors (yada, yada, yada)
Movement (ETA/Automatio)
Affordable ($150-$350

·
Registered
117 Posts
my 2 cents, stick with a basic design. and go all out with technology! yay!!! :-!;-):-d

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
The website http://www.donnygarcia.com is dead.....:-s

How about making new casings and straps for existing Casio digital modules? For me (and as you've also mentioned), I'd like more colour and design options for existing Gs, and I prefer wearing digitals at the moment. So instead of reinventing analogue watches, aftermarket mods for Gs would get my interest! I'd love a clean, smart steel case for a G module, like the Seiko 001 digital.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I'd start by changing the name from Wunder Wurx. ;-)

·
Registered
546 Posts
i agree with casiphile......he=s on the money..............................

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for everyones opinions so far. I should maybe clarify the question from what you expect in a watch to what you think about the current design I have here. What do you like/dislike about it? Is it something that you would wear? What would you like to see in it different than it is now.

I understand what was said earlier about everyone having different opinions on what they would like to see in a watch, but I wanted to get a general consensus on the one I currently have. It will cost a significant amount to produce and my worst fear is that it is built on something that "I" liked and no one else did.

:thanks

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I think a few more details of the design itself would be useful.

Are we looking at a resin watch? Anodized/painted metal? Quartz or auto?

Also, your artist should renew his domain before someone else takes it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think a few more details of the design itself would be useful.

Are we looking at a resin watch? Anodized/painted metal? Quartz or auto?

Also, your artist should renew his domain before someone else takes it.

To clarify, this watch would be made with the same resin material as the current g shocks in the market. I believe that the material is strong, comfortable, and can easily be made into various colors.

There will be very little metal on the watch with the exception of the hands, buttons, and crown.

The movement of the watch will be quartz and the price range I am shooting for is roughly the $125-$150 range.

I wanted to make the face stand out (application of super lume in various colors to match the casing/band).

Do you guys like the overall shape and design of the case? Any suggestions on how to go about with the face?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Personally I'd need a much better render of a proposed watch before being able to decide if I like it or not. Details like the dial and hands are so important in a watch that to comment without those visible is impossible for me. Others may be more imaginative than I am, though :)

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,351 Posts
Im a native german speaker.
So i cant resist to ask if "Wunder Wurx" is a spin off of the german word "Wunder" and something that will sound like "works" if spelled by a english native.

So if you like to sell the watch in Germany too, you should change at least the "Wurx".
Spelled in German "Wurx" will sound like:

Wurst (sausage)
Murks (poor workmansship)

So if you like the word "Wunder" you could use the more understandable "Wunder Chronometer"
Or "Wunder Chronometer International", short W.C.I. ;-)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im a native german speaker.
So i cant resist to ask if "Wunder Wurx" is a spin off of the german word "Wunder" and something that will sound like "works" if spelled by a english native.

So if you like to sell the watch in Germany too, you should change at least the "Wurx".
Spelled in German "Wurx" will sound like:

Wurst (sausage)
Murks (poor workmansship)

So if you like the word "Wunder" you could use the more understandable "Wunder Chronometer"
Or "Wunder Chronometer International", short W.C.I. ;-)

Great Feedback......sounds like the name may have to be changed. The name was something that I was actually iffy about but I will definitely consider it more now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I completely understand. I am going to post more complete renderings in a few days. Please stand by!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you guys think about these names?

Cromacy
Don Gamut
Chromatics
Chromotose
Trichromatic
Chromacy
Spectrual
Synestria
Gamut

Any favorites? FYI- Chroma means color in Greek.

I would love to hear your opinions!!

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Gamut.

The others either have too many syllables or sound contrived. Chromotose, by the way, sounds very much like 'comatose'... ;-)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha good point! Any other suggestions besides the ones I have listed? I am really like Cromacy and Gamut but most of the names are taken online already......

Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
797 Posts
How about going with letters like the IWC watch company?

You could use WWX for example or some other acronym. Probably WRX is out since that is a Subaru car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK here is some more info for you guys to help with the name.

The logo for the company is a spin off of this zebra picture and a new basic design is also attached. Hopefully that will give you guys a better picture of what I am trying to do here. The watches will be out in various color schemes. Think colorful, unique, fresh........

Any thoughts?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts