WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys: I have a Poljot 3133 from around 1986 in really nice shape. Have had for 25 years and was still doing about 4-seconds a day, but the chronograph was starting to get sticky, so sent it to Total Watch Repair for an overhaul and they returned it running awesome, BUT the date Quick-Set feature is no longer working, since the repair (when you move the minute hand back it returns to the previous date). Am looking for someone that would be willing/able to to realign the date-advance so that it works normally. Please let me know if you know how to do this. The picture is of the actual watch (is a beauty!).

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
It's a simple fix and something overlooked by many watchmakers who don't know about the date shortcut on this caliber movement. It of course requires removal of the hands and dial.

I would offer my services but I'm UK based. Perhaps return to the company who undertook the original service.

Cheers...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a simple fix and something overlooked by many watchmakers who don't know about the date shortcut on this caliber movement. It of course requires removal of the hands and dial.

I would offer my services but I'm UK based. Perhaps return to the company who undertook the original service.

Cheers...
They gave up on it and actually refunded me $100 US of my overhaul charge. I would not be opposed to mailing to you. What would be your rate to fix it? I wear it most every day and after 25 years would like it fixed properly.

·
Registered
219 Posts

Cheers...
What is the shortcut? I own several 3133s and I actually don't know - is it like on Vostok where you go past 12 to 1 and back to 8 and then past 12 again? If that's it, I was always afraid to try it, I've always thought of chronographs as these very delicate things, never moved the minute hand back for more than minor adjustements...

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
What is the shortcut? I own several 3133s and I actually don't know - is it like on Vostok where you go past 12 to 1 and back to 8 and then past 12 again? If that's it, I was always afraid to try it, I've always thought of chronographs as these very delicate things, never moved the minute hand back for more than minor adjustements...

Yes. This is it. I also, like you, never move backwards. I also do not move forward: just do not change the date :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. This is it. I also, like you, never move backwards. I also do not move forward: just do not change the date :)
Before the servicing it worked just fine. You wind back just a bit and then forward and it jumped forward. Smooth as can be. But now, it will go forward properly, but isn't ratcheting the date properly and always goes back to the previous date. In terms of damage, considering how tough these are and how seldom this function needs to be used, it seems like it just should be fixable.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I actually try to move all of the chrono's daily - even if they're aren't wound and working - to always have the date set up when I decide to wear one of them ;) That's the plan at least, I often just forget :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Your example is the classic case, with snap on caseback. The worst part of the job is trying to remove the caseback, there notoriously difficult to remove and refit.

If you can remove the caseback, I'm happy to look at the watch.

Cheers...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your example is the classic case, with snap on caseback. The worst part of the job is trying to remove the caseback, there notoriously difficult to remove and refit.

Cheers...
That's a new one. I wouldn't want to try and take it off before mailing it (that sounds really risky). Does it require a special tool?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Cheers...
Just found this: Minor 3133 Repairs: Removing Case Backs and Movements... Had no idea. I have one guy in Russia with lots of experience and he has a great score on eBay - maybe I should just send it to him.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I actually try to move all of the chrono's daily - even if they're aren't wound and working - to always have the date set up when I decide to wear one of them ;) That's the plan at least, I often just forget :)
Are saying you change the time for each watch every day? Why would you want to do this? Are you aware of the wear you put on the cannon pinion?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Are saying you change the time for each watch every day? Why would you want to do this? Are you aware of the wear you put on the cannon pinion?
no, I have no idea what a cannon pinion is

edit: also I move it forrward - the way it's supposed to be going, but I guess more force could still put stress on the part

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
In order to allow time change w/o the watch stopping, there is a friction based connection. When the watch is working and hands move with time it is the friction in this connection that keeps the hands ‘connected’ to the gears. When change time you feel some resistance. This is because you need to overcome the friction in this connection. The problem is that as with any friction coupling, the more you use it the more it is worn down: metal is rubbing against metal. The hands will be easier and easier to move and eventually they will start moving by itself when you shake the watch. I am sure a well fitted pinion can last a while (lots of time changes). The problem is these watches are quite old. So I am trying not to add wear to the pinions of mine.

·
Registered
219 Posts
well I'll just stop movin my chronographs daily then - but I'm still gonna set the date when I wear them, maybe I'll even have to use the infamous 'hack' - what would be worse in your opinion : the hack or just moving the hands forward?

can't NOT LOOK AT THE DATE!

goddamn Soviets and their 'do as little [complications] as possible' engineering; putting a complication to set the date would've been to bourgeois I suppose (yes yes, it's (partly) a joke, I own a Raketa and Slava with date-setting)...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts