WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
A negative display is first and foremost for the cool, "stealth" look and some say it looks more grown than a positive display (I agree partly with that). The thing is a negative display can range from "piss-poor and barely to read" (GD-100 for instance) to "uber-excellent, rivals most positive displays" (GD-350-1B for instance). Which did you buy?

cheers

·
Banned
74 Posts
It's more for the look than anything I think. And depending on the model, can be harder or easier to read as stated. I like it because the inmates can't read the time off my watch easily if they look at it (I'm their only source of time) in case I need to BS about what time it really is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
for a comparison, here is a picture of my GD-350-1B. I have never had a problem with reading the time, no matter what the situation. Standing outside while the sun is shining directly ? No problem. Sitting inside, watching a movie in a dark room? Still no a problem.

3p7hwgm.jpg

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I pretty much decided there's no point of getting one at all, the first time I saw a negative display watch in person. But that's just me.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The negative display is all about the cool appearance. makes the gshock look stealthy. i bought one because i like the look of it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I wear two negative display Rangeman watches after dark; the negative display is the best visual display of any of the many watches I own.

Daylight two positive Rangeman watches take their turn in my rotation; these four Rangeman watches are the only watches I have worn for months.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
But why do you wear two in the morning and two in the evening ?
I wear two negative display Rangeman watches after dark; the negative display is the best visual display of any of the many watches I own.

Daylight two positive Rangeman watches take their turn in my rotation; these four Rangeman watches are the only watches I have worn for months.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
What's the point of negative face on watch?
I bought one on ebay and I can't see the thing.
It's my first negative face watch
...thus bringing the unofficial total to several hundred WUS members who agree that negative displays are generally more difficult to read than positive displays, and three vehement naysayers who insist that they are not...well, maybe sometimes...but that shouldn't matter because they still look COOL! :-d

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
...thus bringing the unofficial total to several hundred WUS members who agree that negative displays are generally more difficult to read than positive displays, and three vehement naysayers who insist that they are not...well, maybe sometimes...but that shouldn't matter because they still look COOL! :-d
Some negative displays are easier to read than positives, some are worse. You can't just lump them all together and sat they are awful, you have to judge each negative watch on an individual basis.

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
IMO most negative lcds are not great and they are for coolness, not legibility. I had both the G-7710 and DW-D5600P-1JF and sold them both. They were to difficult for me to read in a dim lit room. I can not speak to the GD-350 since I do not own one.

I wish this watch came in a positive lcd. Of course the bezel and strap would have to go. This to me is the best feature packed, battery powered 5600 series since it mirrors the G-9000.
**EDIT***
I just saw a GLS-5600X-6CR, but I do not want to pay a premium.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Some negative displays are easier to read than positives, some are worse. You can't just lump them all together and sat they are awful, you have to judge each negative watch on an individual basis.
I CAN lump them all together -- it's called a "generalization." :-d

Most negative displays aren't "awful" -- a word that YOU chose and I didn't -- but they're normally not as easy to read when compared to the same model's positive display, thus comparing "apples to apples."

There are a few negative display G's that aren't AS hard to read as some other negative displays, but I have yet to see or hear about a G-Shock model with a negative display that is OVERALL easier to read, in most different types of lighting conditions, than its positive counterpart.

There are probably a few negative display G's that are easier to read than ANOTHER MODEL G with a positive display, but that's comparing apples to oranges (or it's "cherry-picking" -- choose your favorite fruit metaphor.)

In other threads like this, I have provided link after link to other threads where people have returned their negative display Casio watches SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE OF the overall lack of legibility and/or exchanged it for the positive version. Look all you want, but I'm not aware of a single thread where someone exchanged their positive display for a negative FOR THE SAME REASON. While you're searching, there are a half-dozen easy-to-find "negative vs positive" popularity polls with many comments much like this thread: "my negatives are harder to read, but I like them and so I voted for them."

In those other threads, there are hundreds of WUS members saying the same thing: that IN GENERAL, negative displays are harder to read, and three (and apparently you make four) of the vehement naysayers that I mentioned above who claim that negatives are not!

People can wear whatever they want -- on page one of this thread is someone who admits that his negative display is harder to read and he wears it BECAUSE OF THAT! -- but for the most part, and IN GENERAL, negative displays ARE harder to read.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts