WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is little interest in vintage ladies. But I couldn't resist picking this up for a couple dollars. Look at the size of this piece. 25 jewels. And it is keeping near perfect time over 24 hours. 20 micron electroplated. AR movement . Says AR72 under balance, but there may be another number. It doesn't match Ranfft AR672. I assume this is an Enicar in-house movement? And would anyone know an approximate date? I would guess early 50's?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No way will I pay for a service. It's running. I can't wear it. No one really wants a watch like this. Frankly after I admire it a bit, I'll probably give it back to a thrift for another wierdo like me that also might appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi there,

Enicar/ Racine, who is a cousin of the Gallet family, never used any in-house movements other than Excelsior Park. ExPark was purchased by Gallet in the early 1980's, and Racine was their sole US distributor for many years.
I guess you mix up Jules Racine, the US importer of Gallet watches, and Ariste Racine, the owner of the brand Enicar (Racine reversed). Both used other than in-house movements to fill gaps in their collections

Here two examples: A Racine (Gallet) with FHF 150
bidfun-db Archive: Wrist Watches: 688: Gents Racine (Gallet) manual wind, ca. 1935
and an Enicar with Felsa 692
bidfun-db Archive: Wrist Watches: 210: Gents Enicar Automatic, ca. 1955

Nevertheless the ladies movement matches well the Enicar 672, except the cap jewel plate to realise the 25 jewels. In the 60s there was a time periode, when makers added more or less useless jewels, just to justify a high jewel count on the dial.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
695 Posts
Your watch dates from the late 50's - early 60's. 'Ultrasonic' inscribed on the case back was a unique cleaning process that Enicar proudly inscribed
on their dials in the 1950's. When in the late 50's it wasn't considered to be such a big deal 'Ultrasonic' was moved from the dial to the caseback and then phased out completely.
Enicar made some notable movements.
In the early 50's they were manufacturing over 70,000 AR movements a year.
In 1954 the 'in house' Enicar AR1010 was accredited 'Certified Chronometer' status by the Neuchatel Observatory. Variants of this movement were used in Enicar's very successful
early EPSA Compressor cased divers and expedition watches.
In the 1960's the AR 1125 series automatic movements. dubbed 'Supertest', were considered to be the most accurate movement Enicar ever made. Each individual watch
was tested over a 3 day period to an accuracy of + - 5 seconds per day and the actual lab results were passed on to the new owner.

Reactions: Giotime

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, Kaz, for that information. Earlier this year I did find an early compressor 1010 that is working great. Just need to find a signed crown for that. You also gave me information on that watch at the time which greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the piece. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts