WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,038 Posts
Interesting, $400 is roughly £300 which has been my rough limit for years. No particular reason, but I have found I can get the watches I like for under that value, which is OK for me.

Looking back the most expensive watch I bought for myself was a Bulova Lunar Pilot, which I paid around £260 for, ordered on-line but collected from a local outlet. Pretty much all of the watches I buy, have been on-line. I do tend to buy from local dealers now whereas a few years back I bought from the likes of AliX and eBay Dealers in the US, but these days I find I can get as good as or better deals from the UK. Even the dealers I bought from who are in Singapore are not as good price-wise lately!

So in essence, do I buy too many watches - err Yes o_O Do I care? NO :cool:

To put a finer point on it, the Mem Sahib suggested she bought me a proper Rolex Submariner a few weeks back, but I could not justify the price, so I got an Orient Ray II instead ;) which I was/am very pleased aka Happy with! I am equally pleased with this watch :-

View attachment 15865160

Just under £90 delivered. Yes it is the usual Chinese Submariner Clone, but it is specified by a dealer in the UK, who adds a different strap that he has made and sells as and add on. It has a Sapphire crystal and the NH35 Seiko movement, which is either very accurate off the shelf or has been regulated as I find it keeps time within +/- 15 secs a day or better on average, which is fine for me and for what it cost Stunning!

This watch is not going to be worn for diving or swimming, but I will test the water resistance at some time, but 100M is just all I require. The two Orient Divers I have are 200M WR, but that is never going to be tested in anger either!

Best regards,
Jim
Jim

Does the mem-sahib have a sister?

Asking for a friend of course 😁

·
Premium Member
71,371 Posts
A $400 upper limit gives you so many watches to choose from that so long as you’re happy there’s no need to venture upwards. Nice collection BTW.

·
Registered
119 Posts
How do you like that g shock gold mod? I ordered a similar kit for my old dw5600e. Still waiting for it to arrive. Aliexpress takes forever...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You can get loads of great watches for sub-$400. Though I think $400-$1000 watches can also offer great value (north of that is when I don't think it's worth it).
You're right. It's a lot of fun to work with that constraint. That said I do certainly lust after higher end watches. I've almost pulled the trigger on much more expensive pieces many times. I just know at the end of the day it isn't going to make me 20x happier than a new SARB or SKX! Definitely no hate to people that collect on the higher end though.

I will say that my tiny wrists and Grand Seiko's inclination to make large watches has probably saved me a lot of money!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
How do you like that g shock gold mod? I ordered a similar kit for my old dw5600e. Still waiting for it to arrive. Aliexpress takes forever...
I like it. I'd rate it a solid 8.5/10. Points off for the slight color mismatch between the bezel and the bracelet. The kit is very high quality considering the source. Comes with everything you need to do the job. They even supply gold screws for the bezel. They totally could have cheaped out and skipped that.

I had a bit more luck than you it sounds like with AliExpress. I got it ten days after ordering. A record fast delivery for me on the East Coast of the US. The store I purchased from is called CasioAuthorized Store. They are definitely not Casio authorized!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I like it. I'd rate it a solid 8.5/10. Points off for the slight color mismatch between the bezel and the bracelet. The kit is very high quality considering the source. Comes with everything you need to do the job. They even supply gold screws for the bezel. They totally could have cheaped out and skipped that.

I had a bit more luck than you it sounds like with AliExpress. I got it ten days after ordering. A record fast delivery for me on the East Coast of the US. The store I purchased from is called CasioAuthorized Store. They are definitely not Casio authorized!

Cool, I can’t wait!

·
Registered
302 Posts
yes, you did ...

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Great collection (y)

A watch for every occasion :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I love the skx mods. And the FlightMaster is a classic. My collection is mostly Seiko too. I’ve also never spent more than $400 either! Nice collection my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I love the skx mods. And the FlightMaster is a classic. My collection is mostly Seiko too. I’ve also never spent more than $400 either! Nice collection my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Would love to see yours too! I can't get enough Seikos.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
what do we think is the best watch under 500ish? :)
I'm obviously partial but I'd say a SARB033/035 has to be in the conversation. A custom modded SKX would be compelling in that price range too. Islanders look like a great value as well but I can't say I love the dials.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I'm obviously partial but I'd say a SARB033/035 has to be in the conversation. A custom modded SKX would be compelling in that price range too. Islanders look like a great value as well but I can't say I love the dials.

I had both sarb033 and 035 from amazon before when they were in the 200-300 range and I sadly returned them both because I thought they were way too small. Coming from diver watches I really had no idea how much bigger does the bezel plays into the sizing of the watch until I tried on the seiko and I can hardly read them :(

Of course now I regret returning them in the first place...

21 - 40 of 68 Posts