41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Vendor
27,721 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Pretty much all my stuff is sub 500. My favorites (today) are the SRP 777 Turtle and my Hamilton Khaki King (with the big day).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The SRP777 was a catch and release for me. The cushion case was a bit too much for my puny wrist. Maybe a mini turtle one day!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
The SRP777 was a catch and release for me. The cushion case was a bit too much for my puny wrist. Maybe a mini turtle one day!

I’ve got big honkin’ wrists.

I’m impressed/jealous you got an alpinist under 400 bucks. It’s on my wishlist but I don’t like the new one, and the used prices on the old one have gone up lately

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I’ve got big honkin’ wrists.

I’m impressed/jealous you got an alpinist under 400 bucks. It’s on my wishlist but I don’t like the new one, and the used prices on the old one have gone up lately

I just looked through my emails. I ordered it from a Japanese store online for ¥37,399 ($345 today) including shipping back in 2017. Looks like he's changed the store, but the link in my old email redirects to MFW I just got lucky on the timing of the SARB purchase. I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger now at the current prices.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Great collection! Here’s my under $400 collection too. The Traska was the Kickstarter early bird, so right at $400, they're currently about $550. I got an SKX before it was discontinued but I missed the boat on the SARBs. That’s really because at the time i was looking at Seiko 5s so the SARBs seemed too expensive to justify. How times have changed! I just picked up my SNXS79 and I don’t see me buying another Seiko anytime soon (pricing and QC). I’d be open to pushing above $400, for the right piece but haven’t found it yet. I’d also want to consolidate too, a few of these don’t get any wrist time.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Seven hundo for me. Although some of my 100-200 dollar ones have been just as enjoyable in the end. Pick your your so called friends and influences carefully is my advice. ;).

I have spent easily enough to buy a Rolly dweller at retail. Never will…

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Great collection! Here’s my under $400 collection too. The Traska was the Kickstarter early bird, so right at $400, they're currently about $550. I got an SKX before it was discontinued but I missed the boat on the SARBs. That’s really because at the time i was looking at Seiko 5s so the SARBs seemed too expensive to justify. How times have changed! I just picked up my SNXS79 and I don’t see me buying another Seiko anytime soon (pricing and QC). I’d be open to pushing above $400, for the right piece but haven’t found it yet. I’d also want to consolidate too, a few of these don’t get any wrist time. View attachment 15866667
insane collection!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sub 500 nothing beats the kamasu

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
For the entire hobby (watches, straps/bracelets, tools, cases, winders, etc.)? Maybe $2500. Enough to have one nice Tudor, but where's the fun in that? :)
I did some quick math on mine and came up with roughly $2,200. Sounds like a lot sure, but if you think about it spread out over the course of a few years of purchases, it ended up being around $35 per month. Small enough that it really isn’t a significant expense, certainly much less per month than other regular bills where I have nothing to show for it!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Great collection! Here’s my under $400 collection too. The Traska was the Kickstarter early bird, so right at $400, they're currently about $550. I got an SKX before it was discontinued but I missed the boat on the SARBs. That’s really because at the time i was looking at Seiko 5s so the SARBs seemed too expensive to justify. How times have changed! I just picked up my SNXS79 and I don’t see me buying another Seiko anytime soon (pricing and QC). I’d be open to pushing above $400, for the right piece but haven’t found it yet. I’d also want to consolidate too, a few of these don’t get any wrist time. View attachment 15866667
I'd be content with this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
I’m with you all the way. The more you learn about this “hobby” the more you realise that you can get a lot of pleasure from seeking out decent spec watches in the price range you identify. Particularly when you look behind the curtain of micro brands, Kickstarter projects etc. Plus you can own something that you can’t buy locally and that not many will have come across before. That’s where my interest lies.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I’m with you all the way. The more you learn about this “hobby” the more you realise that you can get a lot of pleasure from seeking out decent spec watches in the price range you identify. Particularly when you look behind the curtain of micro brands, Kickstarter projects etc. Plus you can own something that you can’t buy locally and that not many will have come across before. That’s where my interest lies.

Totally agree. I think many of the micro brands are great and really interesting.

·
Banned
2,448 Posts
Non watch people tend to think you have to spend thousands of pounds/dollars to get a good watch, otherwise it's just crap. $400 can buy you a very good timepiece, especially if you go used and buy a micro brand

41 - 60 of 68 Posts