WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Vendor
27,721 Posts
Non watch people tend to think you have to spend thousands of pounds/dollars to get a good watch, otherwise it's just crap. $400 can buy you a very good timepiece, especially if you go used and buy a micro brand
I've actually found the opposite. Non-watch people are often shocked at what a "nice" watch costs.

I have a large extended family. Whenever a relative has asked about the prices of my watches, which they understand are "nice", they often seem shocked when I say prices have ranged from $400 to almost $800. They think that's a lot of money, and much more than they'd ever spend on a watch.

To help give them some context, I ask them what they think a REALLY nice watch, like a Rolex would cost. Invariably, they say $1,000. I chuckle and tell them they couldn't touch one of Rolex's "entry-level" steel sport models, like the SubC, for less than $10k, if they could find one new at an AD, and they'd likely pay more for one on the secondary market. That REALLY shocks them.

The people who think a nice watch must cost thousands aren't non-watch people, they're semi-watch people. They're the ones who know just barely enough to be dangerous, and end up over-paying for a brand name, because they conflate well-known brands with quality.

Reactions: Siddy and delmar39

·
Registered
321 Posts
I know what you mean! Non watch people would most likely say £400 is a lot to spend on a watch!

As has been said above, spec for spec smaller watch makers or micro brands offer some great watches at a decent price. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to watches.

I’m really happy with my seven watches - all micro brands with the exception of my Certina. Also just pulled the trigger on an Axios Pathfinder via a Kickstarter bid. I already have two of their Ironclads - “Ocean Gulf” and “Snow.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,448 Posts
I've actually found the opposite. Non-watch people are often shocked at what a "nice" watch costs.

I have a large extended family. Whenever one has asked about the prices of my watches, which they understand are "nice" watches, they often seem shocked when I say prices have ranged from $400 to almost $800. They think that's a lot of money, and much more than they'd ever spend on a watch.

To help give them some context, I ask them what they think a REALLY nice watch, like a Rolex would cost. Invariably, they say $1,000. I chuckle and tell them they couldn't touch one of Rolex's "entry-level" steel sport models, like the SubC, for less than $10k, if they could find one new at an AD, and they'd likely pay more for one on the secondary market. That REALLY shocks them.

The people who think a nice watch must cost thousands aren't non-watch people, they're semi-watch people. They're the ones who know just barely enough to be dangerous, and end up over-paying for a brand name, because they conflate well-known brands with quality.
Yes, possibly you are right. The people I refer to are simply obsessed with brand names, and most of them only know of a few anyway. I have a friend who would rather wear a really bad fake than a great quality microbrand that still costs half the price. Only yesterday I was told that all my dive watches are Rolex look alikes, when in actual fact I don't even like the Subby, and the only Rolex watch I like is the explorer. I normally bight my tong, but as the person in question was wearing the world's worst Omega Seamaster fake, I couldn't help myself:rolleyes:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes, possibly you are right. The people I refer to are simply obsessed with brand names, and most of them only know of a few anyway. I have a friend who would rather wear a really bad fake than a great quality microbrand that still costs half the price. Only yesterday I was told that all my dive watches are Rolex look alikes, when in actual fact I don't even like the Subby, and the only Rolex watch I like is the explorer. I normally bight my tong, but as the person in question was wearing the world's worst Omega Seamaster fake, I couldn't help myself:rolleyes:
Great points. I think you’re right about people being obsessed with brands. Imagine if you had a blind wearing competition - I’m betting people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between a luxury brand and a high quality micro brand. I saw a post on here asking for opinions on a beater watch in the £700-£1000 price range... Third world problems and all that - the fact that someone wants or even needs to spend that amount of money to essentially trash something is madness. Although I appreciate that this is their choice. For me though, this is when things are out of hand. My beater/work watch is a £70 Casio G Shock - radio controlled and solar powered and it still looks like new. Originally manufactured for the construction industry, they’re built to take some hammer.

The Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club (WPAC) here on WUS has been a great sounding board for me over the past couple of years. A reality check when I’m straying into impulse buying territory. This has led on to me sticking with my small collection of micros and flipping some of my poor judgement purchases.

Anyway, thanks for posting I think you’re bang on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
what do we think is the best watch under 500ish? :)
Citizen makes outstanding models in that price range, and are not plagued by the QC issues that seem to be found in a lot of the Seikos. I found my Citizen signature Grand Classic used under $500, and they make a ton of legit divers, pilot watches, RC, etc., and the best titanium in the industry, hands down.

My favorite WUS trope is “I love my Seikos, but wow this Citizen is amazing quality...” Happens at every price point, from $200 divers to GS.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd be content with this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE
Hah, I’m not sure there is such a thing as being content with your collection! I have to admit though that the types of watches that I’m interested in is fewer than it use to be. I’ve got 3 Explorer-style watches in increasing levels of refinement, and settled on the Traska, which isn’t going anywhere. I’ve also settled on the OP-styled SNXS79, so that will handle dressier situations. I have the cushion case diver locked in too. I do have loose goals like adding more color (blue in particular), I’m not settled on my chronos, and I’ll always be interested in more divers, but I’ve made progress!

61 - 68 of 68 Posts