WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I can't be the only one who wishes that Rolex would release a new generation 36mm Explorer I with all the bells and whistles of their modern technology in that awesome case size. The proportions of the 39mm has just always been a little off for me with the bezel being too wide and just a tad too large for my tastes. I know that this will likely not happen this year but if Rolex still makes 36mm datejusts and day-dates along with their larger counterparts then why not?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I too would welcome an upgraded 36mm Exp I or Exp 2 40mm but I imagine that the expense of such an exercise whilst riding the current wave of very high demand would be counter productive. If I was running the HWF, I would already have set in place the protocol to explore the cost of such an exercise with the intention of enacting when demand shows signs of "cooling" or sales trends of sizes decreasing are more"real" than perceived.

My 2C.

B79

·
Registered
285 Posts
OK, I dig. I’m a 36mm man myself. Why doesn’t Rolex do something different? I’m going to challenge you to do something different. Time to start saving up for a Day Date.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It’s possible; Rolex backed off on the Datejust II and Daydate II.

And, lots of fellows find six digit Subs too chunky.

Folks like to say Rolex doesn’t change much, but it did jump into the big watch style and quickly backed out.

I would love to see a 36mm Explorer. It’s probably my age and generation, but 39mm Explorer doesn’t click for me.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
If they released a 37.5mm thin lug version with a modern bracelet it would be hard to resist.

The new version lacks a certain something on leather

I just found the 36mm vintage pieces too small on wrist although I’m sure they wear magnificently.
I agree the maxi explorer can look slightly bloated especially on smaller wrists with iPhone camera photography.... on wrist it’s pretty perfect though, easily my most worn and comfortable watch.

•• sent by two turn tables and a microphone ••

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
View attachment 13776601
nothing like a 114270, the last of the true breed. :)
The proportions of the 36mm case with the 20mm strap really are perfect.

I wish they had upped the Explorer bracelet to 22mm to try to maintain that 36/20 ratio.

•• sent by two turn tables and a microphone ••

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not get a black bay 36? It’s a better looking watch than the Explorer anyway.

*ducks behind couch*
Ohh trust me I've looked at it as an alternative but knowing myself I'd have buyer's remorse knowing it's a "substitute" and not the real deal.

·
Registered
8,115 Posts
I know I can't be the only one who wishes that Rolex would release a new generation 36mm Explorer I with all the bells and whistles of their modern technology in that awesome case size. The proportions of the 39mm has just always been a little off for me with the bezel being too wide and just a tad too large for my tastes. I know that this will likely not happen this year but if Rolex still makes 36mm datejusts and day-dates along with their larger counterparts then why not?
For years, I was very remorseful about selling my 114270. Not long after, Rolex updated it to the 39mm model. I had become to used to the 36mm, when I tried it on, I did not like it at all. Over the years, I kept trying the 39mm when I could find one, but I still wasn't sold. So, I bought a Tudor Black Bay 36mm, thinking that would be a great replacement. And, it surprised me, what a great watch, and I told myself for two years that it was "the one". In the end, I decided it wasn't the rel thing, so I sold it. By that time, the second 39mm model had come out, with the lumed 3,6,9. It was so instantly popular, it took over a year before I could actually find one to try on. In late 2018, I went into my Rolex AD, and there was one sitting in the display. Tried it on, and liked it, and bought it instantly. I really like it a lot.

However, I would still jump at the chance to get an updated 36mm version, but chances are so slim that Rolex will ever do this. Still, I do hope. Meanwhile, I have absolutely no issue with the 214270, and I am thankful to have it. I know, however, if there ever was a 36mm introduced, I would be all over it!

Couple of pics wearing my 114270. At 36mm, it was still a great watch, even without all the updates:

That's my story. Sorry to ramble! :-x

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
I would love to see Rolex release a new 36mm Rolex Explorer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I owned the BB36 and now own the 114270. Even though the Tudor is a great watch the 114270 is a timeless classic with almost perfect proportions. The only things I'd like to change are the protruding back and the tuna can clasp, both of which are not an issue with the Tudor.

I would be very interested in a thoroughly modern 36mm Explorer but it needs to have the same case dimensions as the older ones and not the chunky dimensions of the current OP36 or DJ36.

·
Registered
596 Posts
In late 2018, I went into my Rolex AD, and there was one sitting in the display. Tried it on, and liked it, and bought it instantly. I really like it a lot.
That's my story. Sorry to ramble!

Cheers,
Carl
I see you’re in Vancouver. I’m guessing it’s the place on Alberni?

I saw it when I dropped off my 114060 to send to RSC and I’ve been regretting picking it up. The only reason for me to justify though is to offload my Speedy Pro and SM300 remake so timing wasn’t right.

I told myself if it’s still there when I go back I’d better just get it and worry about selling my Omegas later...although what would probably happen is I’d somehow justify keeping them all (to the disappointment of my wife).

·
Registered
8,115 Posts
I see you’re in Vancouver. I’m guessing it’s the place on Alberni?

I saw it when I dropped off my 114060 to send to RSC and I’ve been regretting picking it up. The only reason for me to justify though is to offload my Speedy Pro and SM300 remake so timing wasn’t right.

I told myself if it’s still there when I go back I’d better just get it and worry about selling my Omegas later...although what would probably happen is I’d somehow justify keeping them all (to the disappointment of my wife).
I got my Explorer 1 from Palladio Jewellers on Hastings at Hornby. Find I got better service there. Great group of people, and they now have a brilliant new shop.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
The 36mm OP with the 3-6-9 indices does the job just fine.
What I'd rather see is the 32xx movement in everything.

Reactions: blenng83

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm all for a new 36mm Explorer and I'll happily wear my BB36 until it's rereleased.

However, one thing I like about the 39mm is the Explorer name being moved down to 6 o'clock.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts