WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 656 for about two weeks now. What an incredible watch! Pure function, pure design. I would love to post a review with some pics - I'll do that when I return from six weeks in New Zealand (someone's gotta do it!) and I'll have a better understanding of the watch and how well it's keeping time and if it's easy to read when skydiving/bungee jumping/white water rafting etc.:)
In the meantime, I have noticed about 4 hairline - no, smaller than hairline - scratches from about 2 to 10mm long around the same area of the sapphire crystal. I cant see them in ordinary lighting conditions but when a bright light is reflected from the glass, they are visible.
I thought sapphire crystal was second only to diamond on the moh's scale of hardness. What is going on here? Has somebody been sneaking into my house and coating all of my door-handles with diamonds? Or is sapphire crystal softer than whatever it was I have drunkenly stumbled into recently?
I'm a bit dissapointed, can I polish them out?:-(

·
Registered
80 Posts
It is really hard to get scratches on a sapphire crystal. It is more likely that the scratches are on the anti reflective coating which is a thin layer on the sapphire crystal. Unfortunately the AR coating is not as hard as the crystal. There are only a few watches like the U1 that have a tegimented AR coating which is more robust but still more sensitive than the crystal.
I own/owned a few Sinn watchess like 144, 157, U1, EZM3, 656 and I never had a single scratch on the sapphire crystal.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Hi tilemode, great watch, the 656. Love mine, too. :)

Your problem sounds indeed like scratches in the AR coating. Member magirus has removed the AR coating on the outside of his 656 by the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts