WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early quartz GS are among the cheapest Grand Seikos that you can buy. This is a 9581-7000 GS from 1989, which was the first Grand Seiko made by Seiko after the Grand Seiko brand was resurrected in 1988. The 9581 caliber was (and still is) one of Seikos highest rated quartz calibers with an accuracy of +/- 10s /year. The 9581 was also used in a few Credors and was later replaced by the 9F series.

A bit small for todays tastes at 33 mm but still with solid GS design and GS quality. I particularily like the spear-shaped hour and minute hands and the bevelled design of the case which gives the watch a very modern look. This watch might be missing the GS logo from the crown but I not sure how it actually looked in its original condition.

/ martin

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Outstanding find, Martin! Congratulations. :-!

Do you mind if I ask where you got it? Also, do you have any info on the TC scheme used in that movement?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Great watch! My favourite brand. Are you brave enough to take the back off to post some pics of the movement? No pressure, though, if you're not inclined to do so. Thanks, Roger.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Simply fantastic, mart! Would you please post a pic of the watch and movement in Notable Watches/Movements thread? It would be a fantastic adder. :-!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Early quartz GS are among the cheapest Grand Seikos that you can buy. This is a 9581-7000 GS from 1989, which was the first Grand Seiko made by Seiko after the Grand Seiko brand was resurrected in 1988. The 9581 caliber was (and still is) one of Seikos highest rated quartz calibers with an accuracy of +/- 10s /year. The 9581 was also used in a few Credors and was later replaced by the 9F series.

A bit small for todays tastes at 33 mm but still with solid GS design and GS quality. I particularily like the spear-shaped hour and minute hands and the bevelled design of the case which gives the watch a very modern look. This watch might be missing the GS logo from the crown but I not sure how it actually looked in its original condition.

/ martin

A great watch ( very snug on the wrist ) ! Be a little careful with the case tolerance to water. It is rated a 10 ATM case , but in practice a bit more tender. The crown is missing a little plug at the top that is usually black with a gold GS engraved in. This was a weakpoint in the case and Seiko is ( or was ) very willing to glue one back in.

Best Thomas.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Looks good Martin. Only question I would raise is that do you think the 9581 is closer to the 9F series or the earlier 8J series.

I've looked at those on Yahoo quite often and you are right, the prices can be very good. Enjoy it and keep us posted on the accuracy.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Pete,

I made a quick amateurish guess on the relationship between the calibers as i) the 95 looks a lot like the 9F, ii) the 9F83 is introduced in the Grand Seiko line in 1993 which seems a good time to discontinue the 9581, and iii) Seiko has often kept their naming system constant when switching from four digit to three digit and letter so it made sense to have the 9F replacing the 95.

/ martin

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Hey Martin,

Perhaps it was me who was amateurish! I just looked through some literature I had on GS's and I couldn't find any facts about the dates on the various GS Quartz movements. I always assumed that 9581 was first, then some 8J models and then the 9F, with discrete time intervals between the various movements, but now I think I was incorrect. I never really looked into it properly. Thanks for the insight, I like your train of thought on the relationship as it does follow historical conventions.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
...It is a single crystal 32768 Hz movement.

Movement pictures are fom this site (http://mr-coo.com/battery/seiko/grandseiko9581.html)

/ martin
I'd say that movement features a digital calibration terminal!:-!
That terminal looks identical to the one on the 9F series. That means that Seiko inroduced digital calibration in (at least) 1988 instead of 1993 (the year it introduced the 9F movements) as many of us might have thought earlier.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Fantastic find!

I located a nice copy on yahoo.co.jp. They compare it to the current SBGF029.
It is going for a quarter of current list. Maybe I'll be spending more time looking into these.
[However, as being in the States, I don't think the sellers want to ship].

Were you searching for this particular model, or come across it by chance?
What are the odds of finding correct endlinks and bracelet?

What size is the bracelet? 18mm?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
For those interested, I have seen many 9581s (no date) and 9587s (with date) for sale on the Japan Auction Center--usually at really good prices. They can be found in the Grand Seiko category (you can't search by model or movement number), and there are generally about 1400-1600 GSs up for auction, some new, at any one time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This watch has a 17mm bracelet, which is very uncommon to Seiko and might make replacements hard to find. As the design is fairly standard, there should be some bracelet that would fit. I am running it on a strap presently.

/ martin

Fantastic find!

I located a nice copy on yahoo.co.jp. They compare it to the current SBGF029.
It is going for a quarter of current list. Maybe I'll be spending more time looking into these.
[However, as being in the States, I don't think the sellers want to ship].

Were you searching for this particular model, or come across it by chance?
What are the odds of finding correct endlinks and bracelet?

What size is the bracelet? 18mm?

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Beautiful!I sprinkled pixie dust to bring this thread back from an 8-year comma because I'm awaiting the arrival of this exact model. Basically a one-owner 9581 in great condition. My interest is to see how the Quartz is doing after 27 years (I assume there has not been much recalibration).Will post pictures and a few words.Cheers.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
I was just now wondering: does anyone know if Seiko would still service a 1989/1990 Grand Seiko? Being that the 9581 is among the first models representing Seiko's return to GS development, I'd assume Seiko wouldn't let the 9581 out to pasture just yet?

Sent from my slingshot using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts