WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I just purchased a used SMP co-Axial Black 212.30.41.20.01.002. Price was too good to pass on. It’s been authenticated by a jeweler but no papers or box, but that doesn’t matter as its going to be a beater.

That said, it has a rough mark/scratch 1cm long vertically above the 6 marker.

Is this typically something that can be buffed out fairly cheap or is it a crystal replacement?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Any pictures? According to the Omega site this model only has AR treatment on the inside. This means the scratch could be on the sapphire itself. Depending on how bad or deep it is you may be able to buff it out but it won't be easy being sapphire.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any pictures? According to the Omega site this model only has AR treatment on the inside. This means the scratch could be on the sapphire itself. Depending on how bad or deep it is you may be able to buff it out but it won't be easy being sapphire.
Only a bad pic from the seller but I will post a pic as soon as it arrives. I’m hoping I can just buff it out as you mention.

·
Registered
473 Posts
As mentioned by Bugbait the crystal is sapphire so if you want to remove the scratch you will need to replace the crystal.

·
Registered
486 Posts
New crystal shouldn't be more than ~$250 from Omega . You could even do aftermarket and have someone local do it to save more.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New crystal shouldn't be more than ~$250 . You could even do aftermarket and have someone local do it to save more.
Yeah. I figured i would have to replace. I’ll probably go aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
That's really a bummer. Unless it's hugely distracting I'd personally be inclined to wait until the next service to have it replaced. But I'll wait to see the pictures.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Only a diamond ring can do that (my brother had the same experience with his wife's diamond ring a week after he purchased a new watch)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought it so low I could still be good by replacing it but I may just wear it since it’s a daily beater for me

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Wait til you see it in person, it may not bother you.

Reactions: thx67 and Speedy B

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Sounds like a crystal replacement so I would wait until it needs a service. You may be lucky enough where it only shows in certain lights and it depends if it's directly above text/numbers. I scuffed a crystal and you could only see it in certain light as it wasnt over the numbers so there wasnt any distortion involved. Be aware that some service centres will insist on a servicing as well as replacing the crystal if the watch is of a certain age.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
If you got it a good priced used, just keep it as is. Unless it's super noticeable.

My SMP has a chip (super hard to see but I can feel it) on the edge of the crystal and it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Hello all.

I just purchased a used SMP co-Axial Black 212.30.41.20.01.002. Price was too good to pass on. It’s been authenticated by a jeweler but no papers or box, but that doesn’t matter as its going to be a beater.

That said, it has a rough mark/scratch 1cm long vertically above the 6 marker.

Is this typically something that can be buffed out fairly cheap or is it a crystal replacement?

Thanks.

As you say, 'it's going to be a 'beater'' and will obviously become more marked as you 'beat it', why bother getting it fixed? :unsure:
I certainly wouldn't entertain the thought of spending any more money on a watch I'd specifically purchased as a beater.
You acknowledge that you got it at a 'price that was too good to pass on', so it doesn't really warrant, in my opinion, money being spent on it, to merely 'beautify it'.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As you say, 'it's going to be a 'beater'' and will obviously become more marked as you 'beat it', why bother getting it fixed? :unsure:
I certainly wouldn't entertain the thought of spending any more money on a watch I'd specifically purchased as a beater.
You acknowledge that you got it at a 'price that was too good to pass on', so it doesn't really warrant, in my opinion, money being spent on it, to merely 'beautify it'.
Good point. I will obsess over it. By “beater” I mean I’ll wear it most of the time but I take good care of my watches and don’t usually hit them etc. once I see it I will figure out if I can live with it. I mainly was just trying to anticipate whether I might be able to “buff” it out or if I’d have to replace.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Good point. I will obsess over it. By “beater” I mean I’ll wear it most of the time but I take good care of my watches and don’t usually hit them etc. once I see it I will figure out if I can live with it. I mainly was just trying to anticipate whether I might be able to “buff” it out or if I’d have to replace.

Daily wearer is the term you were looking for! ;) All of my watches are daily wearers, however, none of them are beaters!

Reactions: Titan II

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Received the SMP. It’s difficult to capture on my iPhone but scratch at 6 and smaller one at close to 2

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The metal bracelet was bent at the closing clasp portion of the deployant. I’ve tried a couple of different bands. Unfortunately I don’t have a 20mm black leather band. The one on the pic above is a 18mm Bell Ross, so I’ve switched it to a black leather nato. I guess for the $1200 I paid I can invest in a new crystal and an Omega rubber band.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's a good price. Can I ask where you got it? I've been looking for this reference for a while, but they don't come up often. And everything on Chrono24 or eBay is way too expensive ($3k USD or more).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts