WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a little package today!
I'll start off by saying I have no idea whether it is genuine or not, but for £15 thought it was worth a shot.
It was sold as new, old stock.
Glass actually appears to be plastic of some kind, but do far it has been ticking for nearly 2 hours!!

Do love a package from China though as always something fun on the parcel:
IMG_0864.jpeg

Anyway on to the watch.
Just came in bubble wrap with cling film over the dial:
IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0870.jpeg

Strap is non original black leather, and appears to be Russian.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crazy bargain really!
Would love to go over and find some of the other watches on here.

By the way, as it was sold as NOS, how old is the watch I got?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Nice....I bought the same one several yrs back ($25)....opened it up to find a 17 j movement.......that being said it is still keeps great time.....cheers p

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,027 Posts
Looks like Chunlei Shanghai watch
Shanghai, yes, but Chunlei "Spring Bud" was a separate brand name of Shanghai Watch factory product.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got another little addition in the post on Friday.
All the way from Moscow this time.
From what I know this was a sub brand of Beijing Watch Company?
No idea on age?
So far seems to keep good time and overall good condition. There are a few scratches in the glass though which I did try the toothpaste method on, but seems to be too hard for that - at least it won't get any more cavities now :)
Strap is a replacement as the one it came with was a bit grotty. I've also since removed the clear cover on the back as well as it didn't look very hygenic!

P9220010.jpg
P9220009.jpg
P9220007.jpg
P9220001.jpg

·
Registered
947 Posts
From what I know this was a sub brand of Beijing Watch Company?
No idea on age?
FYI, this watch isn't a sub brand. It is the name used for foreign markets.
It is still a BWF watch.

From the Chinese watch wiki:
Beijing Watch Factory was one of the enterprises at the forefront of the Chinese Standard watch project. Beijing's version was the 17-jewel ZB-1, sometimes called the SZB-1, which entered production in 1972. Soon after, a new brand name, 'Shuangling', was chosen as part of a shift towards an export focus for the factory. On foreign markets, Shuangling was translated as 'Double Rhomb'. These were sold in various parts of East Asia, and some were exported to Britain in 1978-79. A 20 jewel version followed in 1974.

Found here:
Beijing Watch Factory - Chinese Watch Wiki

Please open the case back and take a photo of the movement; perhaps we can help you to narrow down when it was made.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ah, think I misread then as I believe that was the article I found as well.
I’ll try and get a couple photos of the movement later.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,119 Posts
My gut feeling regarding an unsigned Tongji movement in a Shuangling/Double Rhomb watch is that the movement has been replaced. I also own a Shuangling watch with a movement from a different factory. With so many manufacturers producing the same design, this is not unusual with vintage Chinese watches.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That was my thought as well when I saw it was unbranded. I did have a closer look with a small eye glass as well, and couldn't see anything more.
It wasn't expensive so not a big deal, but shame it isn't fully original.
Still keeping excellent time though!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts