WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have been browsing these "affordable watch forums" for a few days and I feel like there is a nice community of like minded watch collectors here. From my research and the style I am looking to get I am leaning towards a stainless steel diver watch. I am between

Blue Mako

Bulova white diver

and this beautiful popular seiko

the watches range from $100-$175 any thoughts?

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah im leaning towards the seiko it looks like it is perfect for my lifestyle. I'm a sportsman at heart but need a watch i can dress up as well.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have both a Seiko and an Orient diver watch and find that I wear the Seiko much more often than the Orient. Great everyday watch.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Take a look at the Bernhardt Sea Shark. At $199 it's close to the ones you posted and there are a bunch of colors to consider, Black, Silver, Red, Yellow & Orange.

A pic of the silver dial Sea Shark from Bernhardt Watch Company:

Here's a pic of my red one:

It comes with a black bezel but I requested one with the SS bezel from the Corsair series.

Bob

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
Both the Orient Mako and the Bernhardt Sea Shark are more versatile watches for different occasions (beach to boardroom), but it is hard to beat Seiko for bang for the buck.

If dress-up versatility were not as much a consideration, for the money you're spending I would say "Buy a Seiko Monster" and never look back.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Only seven posts before the orange monster showed up? I have owned both the Mako and the OM. I kept the OM and sold the Mako. Yes the Mako is a nice watch for the money, but you will want the Mako XL and it costs a little more. The OM still is a better watch in every way. I didn't drink the Koolaid about the OM at first, but gave into the pressure of owning one. Best bang for the buck watch period in my opinion. If I had around $175 to spend and could only own one watch the Orange Monster would be it. Plus it is the only watch ladies have commented on??

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Give priority to the Seiko. A Seiko will always be awesome, but the boutique brands may come and go.

That said, do make sure and look at the Deep Blue Pro Sea/Sun Diver 1k watches. Great design and lots of value for the money. I own one... and an Orange Monster.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Only seven posts before the orange monster showed up? I have owned both the Mako and the OM. I kept the OM and sold the Mako. Yes the Mako is a nice watch for the money, but you will want the Mako XL and it costs a little more. The OM still is a better watch in every way. I didn't drink the Koolaid about the OM at first, but gave into the pressure of owning one. Best bang for the buck watch period in my opinion. If I had around $175 to spend and could only own one watch the Orange Monster would be it. Plus it is the only watch ladies have commented on??
+1

I have both watches (OM and mako) also and I honestly do not remember the last time I wore the mako. It will probably end up in the sales forum some time soon. Yes, seiko is just that good. However I also must mention that I haven't been wearing my OM either since I picked up a BFK (seiko SKA371). The awesome bezel and beefy case just make it feel like it is of much higher quality than the OM. I find the bracelet more comfortable than the OM also and I like that the whole bracelet and most of the case is brushed.

I believe that the mako isn't a bad watch at all, it just left me wanting more. The bezel wasn't very good, the lume was only average, the crown is too small for my tastes, hollow end links bothered me and I didn't care for the clasp either. The OM also left me wanting more because I couldn't wear it with everything (I like to wear dress shirts a lot). However, the BFK fit into all my criteria and goes with everything I wear. It would be nice if it wasn't as tall so it could fit under my shirt cuff, but that is not that big of a deal. By the way, I paid less for my BFK than for my monster :-!. If price is a big factor for you, I would look to the forums because there are really awesome deals for some really great watches.

mako < OM < BFK

Good luck and good hunting!

Regards,
Marv

P.S. Here are some pics
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Orange Watch Product Watch accessory Analog watch Material property Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Arm

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
First, welcome to WatchUSeek :-!
Second, you are getting a lot of great suggestions :) Of the watches mentioned, I've found I like the SKX007 and family of watches the best (Bullet, SKXA35, SKX009 etc) but own, love and wear the Mako, the Monster and miss my Bernhardts.

It's not an easy decision. Check the daily WatchUWearing posts for different entry level divers and check prices at places like eBay and other online retailers. For affordable automatic divers the Citizens slightly bump Seikos in my collection as they wear a bit smaller. The NY0040 in various dial colors are probably my favorites.

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi, you might wanna take a look at the Bulova Marine Star 98C62. I was also looking for my first watch a month ago, and was looking for quite the same thing as you, a good looking diver with a dressy look that I could dress to work. I ended up with this one ...

It is quite similar to the Blue Mako (same dial color and exact same rotating bezel). As disadvantages to the Mako, it´s a quartz that retails for about $50 more ($150). As advantages, it looks a bit more dressy IMO (without the big numbers on the dial), it is quite thin for a diver (10mm), and has nice polished details on the bracelet.

Its bezel is a bit on the stiff side, although I've seen this reported on the Mako too ..

Up to now no complaints, been very happy with the watch.

bulova marine star watch - model 98c62

·
Registered
278 Posts
I like the Seiko's but I dislike the lack of hand winding. I'll have weekends where I'm not as active and the power reserve will run out. I wish they offered a movement with more options for their middle end stuff. Like a monster with a SARB movement. As is they're basically wrapping a $50 Seiko 5 with an extra ounce of stainless.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My vote goes for a Mako. Very accurate and I've never had any problems with mine. Also, you can always get coupon codes from orientwatchusa so you won't have to pay the msrp.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a Seiko 5 before I got my Orient orange Mako, but I haven't had the other watches mentioned here. I have to say I really like the Mako, a lot. If you get it, I don't think you'll regret it!

BTW- I don't think that Orient counts as a boutique brand, being owned by Seiko and being huge in Asia.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
My vote goes for a Mako. Very accurate and I've never had any problems with mine. Also, you can always get coupon codes from orientwatchusa so you won't have to pay the msrp.
I'll agree with that -- I have the blue and the black Makos and love them. Both are COSC accurate (about +3 seconds/day) out of the box, and styled such that you can wear them dressed-up or dressed-down and not look out of place. With coupon codes, you can get them through Orient USA for less than $100 each, making them very affordable.

They're not a boutique brand by any stretch -- they produce their own in-house automatic movements, and have been for 60 years. They're definitely an excellent quality "under the radar" brand, at least in the U.S.

Mike

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts