WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

This is a cross-post from two other sub-forums. Some of you would have already seen these in the Chinese Mechanical Watch forum or the Design Forum, but I would just like to get more feedback as the more feedback I can gather the faster I can learn. Sorry if this is not acceptable, and if so MODS please remove this thread.

1 1/2 years ago I set out to design wacthes for a new watch brand. Many members here were very supportive and gave alot of input into the designs. The designs changed dramatically after the first couple of sketches thanks in part also to members here.

I then started to source for people to actually make what I drew. Couple of manufacturers, trips to trade shows, factory visits and more refinements later, I finally managed to complete samples of the watches. It took longer than I expected, there were many hiccups along the way but they are finally completed. Needless to say I am very excited and haven't felt this excited about my designs for a long time.

Unlike other examples of other start-up watch brands, which have used the build-up process to start marketing the brand and allow input into the design process, I decided to keep it all together until I was happy enough to show the designs.

The brand is moVas, short for MOVments of ASia. Everything for the watches are custom designed except for the movements. The general idea behind the brand was to create a new watch with the best materials we could find from around Asia and to keep the cost low (hence posting here). The idea behind the name is two-fold. First being that we plan to stick with Asian Mechanical Movements. The first collection will be using Seagull and Shanghai movements but eventually we may move to Miyota and are already in negotiations to develop our own movements for one of our new watches. Second reason for the name is to actually signify how times have changed and how we are proud being a new ASIAN brand wholely made in Asia and marketed as such. The first three designs losely symbolise new Asian trends of young professionals, but more about the marketing stories later.

The hardest thing to design was the case. It's a circular bezel on a rounded corner square case. We went with a sports watch that was fairly large at 45mm. Many comparisons have been drawn between Anonimo, Panerai or even B&R. However, I feel the designs merit their own standing. They do share a common style in being Stainless Steel and having a Sports/ Dress watch theme and hence such comparisons are inevitable.

Here are the first three watches that will be released. Again, I hope this is not mis-intepreted as SPAM, as I would just like to gauge reaction towards these designs, so please do not discuss prices here, the watches are not for sale. All your views are appreciated regardless good or bad. Sorry for the crappy pictures, they were done with a PnS. Thanks.

Rose Gold Regulateur:

GMT/ Power reserve:

PVD Black/ Carbon Fiber Chronograph:

· Registered
13,028 Posts
You probably should have gotten the site owner's permission to post, borderline call there.
The watches look solid I think.
I don't care for the 0 instead of 12 and I'd rather have more standard looking pushers for the chronograph but I commend your eye for design overall.
Lug width?
Mineral crystal?
Best of luck with it!

· Registered
1,766 Posts
That GMT/ Power Reserve interesting... I'm undecided about the 0 vs the 12. I like them overall. However, if it is not too late to ask, I'd like them better if the logo was MOVAS or movas instead of moVas.

· Registered
468 Posts
Those are some great looking designs you have there. The 0 instead of 12 is a bit different, but i think it works well, especially with the chronograph and regulator designs. I've never been a fan of regulators, usually they have some very strange designs, but yours is nice and simple, yet beautiful. Good luck with your endeavors.

12,670 Posts
I like the one with the chrono with the carbon fiber face, and the 'GMT' (although it does not look like a real GMT? Does the 24 hour dial set seperately?) I have never been fond of regulators. I like the case shape|>.

· Affordables Moderator
17,314 Posts
I like the GMT and the 0 at the 12 o'clock position. :-!
Is the chrono an ST-19? If so, |>
45mm is a tad big for me right now, I have been wearing/buying ~40mm lately but that is purely a matter of preference, larger watches seem to be much more popular.

Good luck!
Griff

· Registered
61 Posts
Not too keen on the 0 instead of the 12 but that's just preference. how about a chrono without the carbon dial?

· Registered
28,273 Posts

GMT/ Power reserve:

PVD Black/ Carbon Fiber Chronograph:

Nice job, guys :-!
I really like the regulator (special bonus for this one)
The chrono is pretty cool too and the GMT power reserve is fine too.

A nice function I'd like to see more often on a GMT, which I consider a travel watch, is the alarm... but could this be done for less than $500 on a mechanical watch ?... :think:

Good job anyway... will they come in smaller sizes ? (42mm) :think:

· Registered
108 Posts
What about using ETA movements instead and call the brand MOVETA? ;-)

· Registered
187 Posts
Decent watches, I actually like the O at the 12 o clock and your logo.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the GMT and the 0 at the 12 o'clock position. :-!
Is the chrono an ST-19? If so, |>
45mm is a tad big for me right now, I have been wearing/buying ~40mm lately but that is purely a matter of preference, larger watches seem to be much more popular.

Good luck!
Griff
The Chrono is A Shanghai movement. ST-19 doesn't come with 3 subdials, but we will release one in the future as the ST-19 movement I feel is one of the better chinese made movements at the moment.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What about using ETA movements instead and call the brand MOVETA? ;-)
That's funny.

We won't be releasing a 42mm case anytime soon as each case shape requires a 500pc run. But who knows what the future brings. When I started the design of the watches, it was very clear to me that I was going for a big watch and felt 45mm to be a good size for most.

· Registered
1,139 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.