WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my newest Alpha arrived. No pix yet but it is an Explorer style GMT with a white dial. Here's what it looks like from the Alpha Watch eBay store:

BTW, the better place to buy is from www.alpha-watch.com where the price you see is the price you pay including shipping.

This is my 2nd Alpha and I am amazed at what I got for less than $50.

The packaging is nothing special and at that price I don't expect much. It arrived in a cardboard box with lots of foam peanuts then a bubble wrap inner package with more foam peanuts then the watch in a small plastic bag with a half-sheet of paper with instructions. The watch itself is fully shrink-wrapped. Everything looked crisp and brand new (as it should even at $45.)

The watch is nicely finished down to the embossed crown and the Alpha character on the buckle. Some of the riveting on the buckle could be better but at what cost?

The first thing I did was wind it up and like my other Alpha the winding feel is a bit on the coarse side. Then to set it. Again like the other, the hacking is poor. It's almost impossible to get it to stop immediately. I had to jiggle it a few times to get it to stop at 3 sec after TDC. Setting the date and the 24-hour hand were very easy with the quick set middle position.

Next was to size the band. Once more, it was exactly like my other, simply remove one link from each side of the deployment buckle and it's ready for my 7 1/2' wrist. The SS screws in the links were among easiest that I have ever dealt with to size a band.

Now for the truly amazing part. After twenty hours, 12 on the wrist and 8 on the night stand, it is spot on with my "atomic" desk clock, somewhat better than my "Pepsi" GMT which is off by about 20 seconds after a couple of weeks.

On the wrist it feels pretty good with just a bit of tugging around the buckle. It is very legible for a white dial and I can read it without my 3.0 readers on.

I know the others have had mixed reactions to Alphas but the GMT series have treated me well with a solid feel and good timekeeping.

I'm real interested in seeing how they hold up over time.

I do like the Alpha name. It makes me laugh every time I see it

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Congrats on the new Alpha:-! im sure it will serve you well in the days to come. I myself own one and mines as been good since i bought it 2yrs ago :)

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
I wish I could get parts from Alpha, my GMT ran very well until the winding stem snapped. I have a similar Chronomat GMT that is pretty much without problem except the second hand is very slightly bent.

Congrats on your new Alpha and best of luck :-!

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have the same exact watch from Alpha but with the black face. My experience is identical to yours. Mine keeps EXCELLENT time too.:-!

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Wow, hope your accuracy holds up on that one Tom!
Congrats and thanks for posting your impressions :-!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Always go to alpha-watch.com and you can save a few bucks.
Great looking watch, I love all of my Alpha's! Congrats on your new one |>

On a side note he changed ebay names??? He use to be collector_898, now he is different? I would still trust him though as I have never had a problem. I also added his new handle to my favorites because he adds the new one's to ebay before he does his site.

Again great looking watch!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts