WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a new Amphibia several weeks ago, and have noticed that, unlike my previous Amphbia, or any of my other watches, the hands don't align properly. When the minute hand is at "12", the hour hand is not pointing directly at the index for whatever hour, but points to a space between indexes, equal to perhaps 9 or 10 minutes behind where it should point.

I've had my previous Amphibia open before, and can get the movement out and back in with no problem, but have never removed hands from their shafts. Can I simply remove the movement, slide a piece of paper under the hands to protect the dial and nudge the hour hand with a matchstick or similar to advance it to where it needs to be (in other words, will the hand slip on the shaft without damaging the movement or the hand itself)...or do I need to physically remove the hands from the shafts and reset them?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Nudging the hands is not really a good idea. There is always a chance that the hand bore will widen and cause the hand to slip. Best bet is to pull the hands and re-fit them. Or you could always contact the seller and see if they will exchange the watch if it is brand new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Watch Dial Printing
1,365 Posts
Nudging the hands is not really a good idea. There is always a chance that the hand bore will widen and cause the hand to slip. Best bet is to pull the hands and re-fit them. Or you could always contact the seller and see if they will exchange the watch if it is brand new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd agree with that but as you can get a movement out I would suggest you could try fixing the hands.

I wouldn't take the hour hand off as it is unnecessary and also the one closest to the face.

If you have needle nosed tweezers I'd suggest you take off the seconds and minute hand.

It's a bit tricky as the movements don't hack so they keep moving.

I just waited for the hands to be in the right position and levered them off.

Alternatively you could put something like rodico to hold the balance wheel so the watch stopped and you can take your time.
Align the hour hand with 12 and carefully put the minute hand on.
You will need to push it down gently to seat it. Push sideways and it should not move.
Then do the seconds hand the same way.
When complete, remove the rodico and let the hands rotate and make sure the hands pass over each other without binding.

Suggest you don't put metal or wood in the movement because of the possibility of damage (metal) or filings (wood) getting in to the movement and causing problems later.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The watch was purchased from Zenitar, and although he would probably exchange it or repair it, I don't care to pay to ship it back for a manufacturing defect that isn't my fault, and I don't care to wait weeks or months for it to get back to me.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Yes, best not to try turning the hands on their shaft because of the pressure you're putting on the gears but also the chance of loosening the bore or bending something else.

Any tool than can evenly pull on both underside sides of the hand's base will work best, but specific tools for pulling hands can be purchased cheaply.

Does your watch feature a date function? If so, does the date change when the hour hand reaches 12, or before? If the date changes before the hour hand reaches 12 you will want to remove it too so it can be realigned.

You will want to reinsert the crown and stem into the movement once removed, so you can align everything using the time-setting position. Turn until the hour hand is at 12 (or turn until the date changes, then remove and replace he hour hand aligned at 12), then place the minute hand at 12, and last place the second hand which doesn't have to be aligned. A good tool for reseating hands is the back circular end of a (Bic or otherwise) pen's plastic ink cartridge. Check to make sure that the seconds hand does not come back off when shaken or lightly bumped, because the leaf spring holding the opposite end of its attachment pin will allow the pin the move away as the seconds hand is pushed into place. If this becomes an issue you will have to temporarily remove the automatic portion of the movement to access the spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts