WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
501 - 520 of 573 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
SBGA443 is the international version of the SBGA413. The price of the 413 has just jumped by $300 and is reflected everywhere online. Some people are saying the 443 is steel as opposed to titanium but I doubt it as the price in JPY is equivalent to $6800 usd and the pics look like a darker metal as Ti would. Releases Feb 2022

·
Registered
70 Posts
Watch Analog watch Photograph White Light
Watch Analog watch White Rectangle Clock

Any guesses why GS feels compelled to release them?
I can. This release is a roundabout $1000 price hike on the entry level spring drive models. The SBGA283 and 285, which are now gone, had a printed power gauge and 3 o'clock indice, brushed bracelet, 39mm case, 12.3mm thickness. They retailed for $3800. The new models are the same but with a slightly wider case, "new" dials, and double indices at 6, 9, and 12. They retail for $4800.

SBGA467 pictured on the left and SBGA285 on the right. I imagine the color of the steel is actually the same so ignore the lighting difference.

Despite ticking all my boxes (stainless steel, spring drive, short lug to lug, brushed bracelet), this release is extremely disappointing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
View attachment 16166058 View attachment 16166059

I can. This release is a roundabout $1000 price hike on the entry level spring drive models. The SBGA283 and 285, which are now gone, had a printed power gauge and 3 o'clock indice, brushed bracelet, 39mm case, 12.3mm thickness. They retailed for $3800. The new models are the same but with a slightly wider case, "new" dials, and double indices at 6, 9, and 12. They retail for $4800.

SBGA467 pictured on the left and SBGA285 on the right. I imagine the color of the steel is actually the same so ignore the lighting difference.

Despite ticking all my boxes (stainless steel, spring drive, short lug to lug, brushed bracelet), this release is extremely disappointing.
Totally see and agree with the minor changes, and your conclusion. Tweaks, a price rise, and WIS wallets firmly glued inside pockets.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Product page says solid caseback. Seems a shame. Just keeping costs down?

If either model had glass caseback like the Kanro I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Watch Analog watch Photograph Light Black
Watch Analog watch Silver Rectangle Clock

If either model had glass caseback like the Kanro I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.
Ah, but then the $4800 entry level model would have one more differentiating feature of the $4900 SBGA203 (sticking with black dials here for easy comparison). Which begs the question: If they just replaced the entry level spring drives with $4800 models, does it make sense that the next tier spring drive with PCLs, glass casebook, and textured power gauge is $4900? While the white and blue dials do not have a direct competitor, the black and silver/champagne dials are hopelessly outclassed by their $4900 counterparts. I wouldn't be surprised to see the $4900 options go the way of the $3800 entry levels and maybe a price bump for the 44gs spring drives. SBGA427 and 429 with glass case backs, textured power gauge, extra crocodile strap, and special edition dial features for $5000 don't make a lot of sense either in the context of $4800 entry level models.

Interesting strategy by GS. Anyone who thought about pulling the trigger on an SBGA283 or 285 should do so now.

·
Registered
324 Posts
View attachment 16166386 View attachment 16166387

Ah, but then the $4800 entry level model would have one more differentiating feature of the $4900 SBGA203 (sticking with black dials here for easy comparison). Which begs the question: If they just replaced the entry level spring drives with $4800 models, does it make sense that the next tier spring drive with PCLs, glass casebook, and textured power gauge is $4900? While the white and blue dials do not have a direct competitor, the black and silver/champagne dials are hopelessly outclassed by their $4900 counterparts. I wouldn't be surprised to see the $4900 options go the way of the $3800 entry levels and maybe a price bump for the 44gs spring drives. SBGA427 and 429 with glass case backs, textured power gauge, extra crocodile strap, and special edition dial features for $5000 don't make a lot of sense either in the context of $4800 entry level models.

Interesting strategy by GS. Anyone who thought about pulling the trigger on an SBGA283 or 285 should do so now.
Oh. I looked at the SBGA203. I can't live with the scarred face.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had exactly similar thoughts as @covfefewithsugar when I saw these releases the other morning via email. It makes the 283 I've been considering for a bit now look even more enticing.
Can't go wrong with the 283. One of the best GS dials period and great case proportions for an entry level price. I'm sad to see the value proposition disappear.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Those EU LEs are at the local dealership already. I need to rise through the ranks before I can post a picture. The gorgeous rice paper texture is actually rather hard to see with the naked eye; especially compared how loud the birch or even the snowflake is. So it's much more subtle than the close up shots make appear.

·
Registered
731 Posts
View attachment 16166386 View attachment 16166387

What is the lug to lug measurement on the older model?

The press release on the new replacement model made it sound like they've shortened the lug to lug.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
New SBGY008, the gold and diamond version of SBGY007 Omiwatari. Must say I prefer the white dial but otherwise gold, diamonds, and a price like that just don't suit me. Made a thread for it here.

Watch Analog watch Light Rectangle Clock Watch Analog watch Natural material Amber Clock

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Those EU LEs are at the local dealership already. I need to rise through the ranks before I can post a picture. The gorgeous rice paper texture is actually rather hard to see with the naked eye; especially compared how loud the birch or even the snowflake is. So it's much more subtle than the close up shots make appear.
They're European editions, not "EU", and not limited.

·
Registered
324 Posts

One other difference: glossy ("inky") dial on the 467 vs matte on the 465 https://grandseikogs9club.com/chronicle-9/sbga437-sbga439-sbga465-sbga467-spring-drive/ ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Since I'll never be able to justify owning an explorer ii the SBGM247 will probably be my next watch. I really liked the GMTs that they released last year but couldn't see myself buying one with the ceramic bezel. Would be nice if they were under 14mm thick though after wearing a Black Bay GMT for a year I don't mind the thickness any more. The green and orange look killer and can't wait to see these at the AD.

501 - 520 of 573 Posts