WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
561 - 580 of 661 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
P.S. one idea to go maybe a watch with a bezel and a moving hour hand like Seamaster (8500/8900 not 8800). Unless tracking three time zones, GMT hand isn’t strictly necessary?

(But with 8500/8900 with bezel, my only choice is the PO, isn't it?
Omega caliber 8900 » WatchBase )

·
Premium Member
2,834 Posts
They already make a gmt with rotating bezel. I think this watch is specifically targeting a market...as did the SBGN's and it's going to hit the mark.

Christopher Ward released theirs recently and they are selling like hotcakes.

I see this one selling very well just like the 9F version. I was surprised it took this long and I for one will be grabbing one. I was in the market for that dreaded R**** but will likely see it in about 10 years.

This will probably kick it in the pants just like the 9F did.

I have have the SD version with ceramic bezel and wear it all the time.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yes, I’m aware of the one with the rotating bezel…which isn’t for me. To each their own, lovely watch tho.

My SBGJ201, SBGN005, and SBGE257 GMTs are superb, from my perspective. Huge fan of them.

Little o/t, but FWIW, I’ve had (and have) a fair number of vintage and modern offerings from the crown. The only facet of modern R I like better than GS is in the bracelet area.

I like the bracelets on my GS just fine, but glidelock like on my SD43 is next level. I’m more focused on GS these days, in spite of minor things on my wish list I might change.
I like their focus on offering more of the things customers want, the fact they actually have watches to sell, etc. Huge GS fan!

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
Yes, I’m aware of the one with the rotating bezel…which isn’t for me. To each their own, lovely watch tho.

My SBGJ201, SBGN005, and SBGE257 GMTs are superb, from my perspective. Huge fan of them.

Little o/t, but FWIW, I’ve had (and have) a fair number of vintage and modern offerings from the crown. The only facet of modern R I like better than GS is in the bracelet area.

I like the bracelets on my GS just fine, but glidelock like on my SD43 is next level. I’m more focused on GS these days, in spite of minor things on my wish list I might change.
I like their focus on offering more of the things customers want, the fact they actually have watches to sell, etc. Huge GS fan!

I agree with you. If GS did just a little work with their clasps it could bring in a larger group of purchasers. I've heard more about GS bracelets lacking than any other problem.

Second is always size....but then...that's what she said!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
New SBGY008, the gold and diamond version of SBGY007 Omiwatari. Must say I prefer the white dial but otherwise gold, diamonds, and a price like that just don't suit me. Made a thread for it here.

View attachment 16174126 View attachment 16174129
Yuck. I really don't like this one. All the blandness of a gold dress watch with the gaudy addition of diamonds. $38K for that is ludicrous. A Patek Calatrava automatic with center seconds is a better choice at $33K, though I still find that watch dreadfully dull. Sign me up for an F.P. Journe Chronometre Souverain over this gaudy snoozer. Or an Eichi II!

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Not difficult where I live. Just mind-blowing expensive - something that will definitely hurt if I drop it when travelling and attracts criminals
I meant difficult to buy if you like watches, rather than flexing/investments. Yes, it is actually one of the most available watches there is if you have $35,000. That's some premium to save a couple of mm...

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I'm excited to see if there'll be new series 9 releases, but I noticed the case is almost a 1-for-1 copy of the Aqua Terra. Don't know if this has been pointed out before.
I'm looking out for more Series 9 as well. But what's the copy in it?

Aqua Terra
  • 41mm wide
  • 20mm lug width
  • 47.7mm lug to lug
  • all angled polished bezel
  • polished center links
  • 6 o'clock date
  • chapter ring with numerals
  • lyre lugs
Series 9
  • 40mm wide
  • 22mm lug width
  • 47 mm lug to lug
  • flat hairline brushed bezel with outer polished angle
  • brushed links
  • 3 o'clock date
  • chapter ring with lines
  • angled lugs
Case shape is generally similar but so are other Grand Seikos and others on the market.

Watch Analog watch Product Watch accessory Clock
Watch Analog watch Light Silver Clock

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think the silhouette/shape are very similar, close to identical, but of course there are differences in the surface contours and polishing. In any case, both are beautiful. I would love to get a series 9 model with a relatively subtle dial compared with the Lake Suga/White Birch.

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
I think the silhouette/shape are very similar, close to identical, but of course there are differences in the surface contours and polishing. In any case, both are beautiful. I would love to get a series 9 model with a relatively subtle dial compared with the Lake Suga/White Birch.
Yep. To be fair, both do look a lot like watches, maybe that's enough ;).

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yep. To be fair, both do look a lot like watches, maybe that's enough ;).
😂😂😂 yeah maybe if Grand Seiko made a Seiko Alpinist type watch then it would be a proper explorer/aquaterra competitor but I don’t really see that. It seems Seiko Luxe has the sporty watches that seem to fit in every niche and across a broad price range while grand seiko mostly sticks to just making dress watches ranging from more casual to most formal environments

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yes, both watches are very beautiful.
At least at first glance. The AT does not even begin to reach the optical quality level of the WB. After longer observation of the two watches, it is not only noticeable that the workmanship of the surface is more elaborate and precise.
The individual elements, such as the hands, date window and dial of the AT are also not on the same level as the WB, at least under magnifying glass 10x.
The AT, which I also own by the way, is indeed equipped with lume, an advantage at night.
Both calibers run suboptimally, at least in my experience. However, the WB was a bit further from my expectations.
With the AT, it is easier to change bands.
There are much better offers here than with the WB - 0.
Last but not least, the price, the AT really seems to be a bargain. At least if you disregard that the WB is equipped with a Hi-Beat caliber that comes up with 100 hours of power reserve.
Summary of my assessment of the two watches, which are visually similar:
Workmanship: 1:0 WB-AT
Innovation: 2:0 WB-AT
Equipment: 2:1 WB-AT(Lume, Straps)
Price: 2:2 WB-AT
So in the end, according to my comparison, it's a draw. Price-wise, you can expect a bit of a discount on both watches.

If you then want to take a third watch into account, which would be visually and technically directly comparable (Rolex Datejust41), then according to my current experience, the Rolex would make the race.
But only because here the movement keeps what the manufacturer promises.
In addition, this model, at least in the current time, does not lose value. Also not insignificant in times of inflation.

561 - 580 of 661 Posts