WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

20881 - 20900 of 21240 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Im sorry I have looked hard and cannot see the problem with the pip in the minute track. It seems fine to me? My SKXA35 and SKX173 have the little pip between the date and minute track and look awsome.Granted they have chapter ring minute tracks but having it on the dial means there is less chance of misalignment.
Would they look awesome if the pip was on the chapter ring?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Yep. The same-sized lume pip inboard of the date window would have looked more balanced. BTW, the total length of the short lume pip + date window is the same as the markers as 6 and 9. Would have looked just fine.

View attachment 15882399
That still looks like a mess. It doesn't need a lume pip there at all. Having no lume pip at 3 makes it even easier to tell the orientation of the watch. No date and lume or date and no lume for me. Alternatively, make the date wheel luminous if it really has to have lume at every 5 minute/hour mark, and then they don't need to make the dial look like ass by trying to squeeze a lume pip in there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That still looks like a mess. It doesn't need a lume pip there at all. Having no lume pip at 3 makes it even easier to tell the orientation of the watch. No date and lume or date and no lume for me. Alternatively, make the date wheel luminous if it really has to have lume at every 5 minute/hour mark, and then they don't need to make the dial look like ass by trying to squeeze a lume pip in there.

I was looking through the seiko websites today again. it seems they have removed the lume pip on the older spb143 and sla023 models and returned the older photos without the lume at 3. hopefully this is a better sign?

·
Registered
Sinn 857 S UTC
284 Posts
@Pongster Here is a couple of thread I wrote recently. Brought it on pre-order on day 1 release as an impluse buy due to the rose gold PVD on a slim turtle est case. Just could not ignore it.

I am not sure why this is not so popular as I don't even see a youtube review from the regulars youtubers. I guess if it a silm diver, with a 120 clicks rotating bezel, it would be more popular. The other colourways are also gorgous imo, the blue/grey and green/khaki/grey bi colour bezel.

SRPG18k1 Inital Review
Bund Strap Tortoise

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
@Pongster Here is a couple of thread I wrote recently. Brought it on pre-order on day 1 release as an impluse buy due to the rose gold PVD on a slim turtle est case. Just could not ignore it.

I am not sure why this is not so popular as I don't even see a youtube review from the regulars youtubers. I guess if it a silm diver, with a 120 clicks rotating bezel, it would be more popular. The other colourways are also gorgous imo, the blue/grey and green/khaki/grey bi colour bezel.

SRPG18k1 Inital Review
Bund Strap Tortoise
yes thanks sir. i saw your initial review. I even asked about the compass bezel (whether bidirectional).

·
Registered
Sinn 857 S UTC
284 Posts
yes thanks sir. i saw your initial review. I even asked about the compass bezel (whether bidirectional).
Oh yes, cheers for the reminder! I post quite often so don't recal all the reply 😅, but I do recall about the bidirection question now. I couldn't say no to a rose gold turtle compass!

Reactions: Pongster

·
Registered
Sinn 857 S UTC
284 Posts
the rose gold is dlc/pvd i suppose? Or something similar?
yes, PVD, definitely for that price point. As someone on the fornum did lectured me that PVD is actual process rather than a coating! I'll take spray rose gold for that price point all day long.

Reactions: JCB43

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
yes, PVD, definitely for that price point. As someone on the fornum did lectured me that PVD is actual process rather than a coating! I'll take spray rose gold for that price point all day long.
yup. The process of applying the plating. The most common either PVD or DLC. I have a modern goldtone turtle. I suppose same process.

·
Registered
Sinn 857 S UTC
284 Posts
yup. The process of applying the plating. The most common either PVD or DLC. I have a modern goldtone turtle. I suppose same process.

#gaudycentral but a chocolate rubber strap could do the trick.

·
Registered
631 Posts
It's the whole ISO certification thing. Seiko wants this to be a true diver's watch, hence the need for lume pips on all 12 major indexes. It is what it is. And I do find all 12 indexes to be useful when trying to read the time in the dark. It's easier to tell the difference between XX:14 and XX:15 if you have a lume pip right there to index off of, vs having to extrapolate how far of a distance the hand has moved between XX:10 and XX:20.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
It's the whole ISO certification thing. Seiko wants this to be a true diver's watch, hence the need for lume pips on all 12 major indexes. It is what it is. And I do find all 12 indexes to be useful when trying to read the time in the dark. It's easier to tell the difference between XX:14 and XX:15 if you have a lume pip right there to index off of, vs having to extrapolate how far of a distance the hand has moved between XX:10 and XX:20.
ISO 6425 hasn't been revised since 2018, so why is this sudden decision to squeeze unsightly lume pips in because of it? Have they been doing it wrong and falsely claiming the watches without them comply with it for 3 years? I don't think so, so it just looks purely like bad aesthetic design decisions to me.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
That still looks like a mess. It doesn't need a lume pip there at all.
But that's not the point. It does need a lume pip at 3 because Seiko has decided to adhere to ISO standards. This discussion is about how better to something they have decided to do. Of course no vestigial lume is better but that's not an option.
Having no lume pip at 3 makes it even easier to tell the orientation of the watch. No date and lume or date and no lume for me.
The double marker at 12 does that. But otherwise, it will have to be a different brand, because Seiko doesn't really do no-date divers.

As it stands, the outboard pip puts lume where there is no lume anywhere else on the dial - on the minute track. On the earlier Pelagos, which was generally lauded for its dial layout, the outboard pip does not encroach into an otherwise unlumed area. Seiko has sort of gone for this, but done it in a half-assed manner.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
But that's not the point. It does need a lume pip at 3 because Seiko has decided to adhere to ISO standards. This discussion is about how better to something they have decided to do. Of course no vestigial lume is better but that's not an option.
]

ISO 6425 hasn't been revised since 2018, so why is this sudden decision to squeeze unsightly lume pips in because of it? Have they been doing it wrong and falsely claiming the watches without them comply with it for 3 years? I don't think so, so it just looks purely like bad aesthetic design decisions to me.

This "doing it because of ISO" reasoning is just something somebody on here has thought, and everybody else has repeated it. Nothing has changed in ISO 6425 spec for a few years, and if you read it, it doesn't actually even say there must be lume at every hour mark. Look how its worded.

20881 - 20900 of 21240 Posts