WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21201 - 21215 of 21215 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
At least it has the proper chronograph layout. Something I've never understood about the mecaquartz movement is the pointless 24-hour hand. Mecaquartz can't count over an hour, instead you get a useless 24-hour hand taking up one of the registers, and because the minute sub-dial is 60-minutes rather than 30, the hash marks are usually so tiny as to make it basically unreadable. Which seems to negate the entire point of a chronograph.
Yeah, I have a Dan Henry 1937 with the VK64 movement and it's just flat out not very good. It's too small to read the 60 minutes correctly and the 24 hour subdial is pretty worthless. The vertical layout with just the minute totalizer and running seconds subdial is better, but it has to vertical, and still has the 60 minutes subdial issue. I don't think I'll ever be getting another watch using one of these movements :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
The bezels are what nixed them for me -- I found them to be terrible. Look at how unusable this one is, plus the bezel material itself feels cheap, plus the case plating feels cheap ...

View attachment 15948752

Oh, and 3 (just 3) of the indexes are a different color for some reason.

I think these watches would've done better if they'd been better watches. Some of the Street Fighter watches have the same problem, e.g. this one's bezel is completely unusable (it otherwise could've been a cool watch):

View attachment 15948754
I’m gonna have to disagree with you here man I own the naruto collection (4 of them including this one) as well as 2 of the street fighters and I gotta admit they were executed well compared to their characters and seiko taking the time to reflect the character in the details as I’ll explain.

1) The bezel is still usable as a timing bezel as all you really need is 1 marker on the bezel that differentiates it from the rest of the bezel to mark where your time starts and just count how much forward the minute hand has progressed since then.

The actual design for the bezel is supposed to look like his headband he wears in the show and the material/color all of that is supposed to replicate the metal of it and that I think that’s crazy attention to detail and done very well. The sasuke model has the same bezel design but the logo on top is scratched out in the show so on the watch it’s an actual scratch deep in the bezel which you can actual feel. That’s crazy.

2) The 3 lume plots which you are speaking about are done on purpose. He has the 9 tail beast living within him and therefore 9 of the markers are orange that’s paying attention to the character.

3) the street fighter one you showed is a little crazier than the other ones. That one is just supposed to be crazy like the persona of the Blanka. I have the Ryu and Chun Li and they are executed very well. The Ryu had a beautiful cloth textured dial and faux scratched bezel which also goes with his persona. The chun Li model just feels so high end because of the dial with the framed date window and strap. It’s so shiny lol but looks so cool metal markers.

4) These are very playful collabs and are not meant to be hardcore divers like the SKX was. If you’re buying one of these it won’t be your main watch and it definitely won’t be the only watch you own or even only seiko5 collab model you own. You get one you’ll want another. I guarantee it. The collab models are supposed to be special and stand out from the norm. They don’t follow rules they just give you the best possible character reflection from a collab in a package that has the time, day, and date. If you’re asking for more than that it’s too much. They use the seiko 5 platform because of the real estate for so many colors and designs they couldn’t do on a bezel less or smaller cased watch and that’s that.

5) The 5KX is a casual diver. It’s not a professional diver (or semi-professional) ISO certified full spec sport watch like the SKX was. Where it lost it’s screw down crown and pearl on bezel, it gained a see through display case back which gets people looking at cheaper watches interested in automatic movements and they think the 4R is probably the coolest thing they’ve seen (so far) it’s a gateway watch not a Prospex diver. If they remade the SKX it would be the Prospex SPB. The 5KX is cheap ($500 & less) It only had 100m of water resistance and no screw down crown so I’m not sure why you’re looking for a proper diving bezel on a collab version of a casual dive watch.

6) From what you wrote it looks like the bezel is the only thing turning you away so I’m shocked you didn’t get the Brian May that watch was exactly what you’re asking for.

7) The sushi watch is even worse than these to read and that thing is considered a work of art, it sold out instantly, and you’re only able to find it for above msrp from the secondary market. It literally just released this month too. So quick! So your point about the bezel is irrelevant here. Same thing for the JoJo’s bizarre adventure collab, all “useless” bezels but they sold out quick and are going for $2k each now !!
Seiko fans love this stuff!

8) I too wish the collabs were based on the SPB Prospex divers but they’re over ($1,000) and people tend to buy multiple collab pieces (like you bought 2 and I buy many of these as well) and they’re meant to be fun and easy wears on the weekend and summer etc. shouldn’t cost too much as that would not be wise to keep the collectors buying them. (I wouldn’t be happy if I could only get one of the 4 characters and I’d also be sad if I couldn’t afford them ($5000) for every collab release I like that'd be vacheron money really quick.

9) I wore this “gaara” Naruto collab model today and it looks awesome! The sand textured dial looks gold in the sun and each grain sparkles !!

10) SORRY FOR THE RANT !! But I had to stand up for my boys !! Also I too wish more collabs were on other watches but for anime nerds this is the best execution because character style means everything. check out the presage Porco Rosso collab. More classy and has spring drive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Now that is a beautiful watch 👌good on you and look forward to seeing the pics when you get it.

Better stop hi-jacking the Seiko thread 😂

Would be good to see a new chrono version of the Seiko 'Monaco' recraft series like this one but under the new 5 series guise View attachment 15948758
Thanks !! I already have a grand seiko on order for next month so to save up and and get funds right I’ll probably get it in late September/October time frame, don’t know if I could post a pic here without getting banned since it’s not a seiko so we can talk about that when the time comes 😅😅😅

very cool! I hope Seiko has more remakes down the line but I wish for them to make them more true to the original. I want the 36/38mm size for dressy/sporty, the tag line on the dial not just “automatic” in cursive lol I wish the alpinist actually said seiko laurel on it. Maybe we will get a new seiko lord marvel.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Wow. That's quite a detailed explanation. In the beginning I thought they were just playing with color but now it seems I may underestimated the collabs and start to get interested in them. I didn't even imagine that they will took that length until making actual scratch (on sasuke's) and sand design dial (on gaara's). That's seem to have plenty of details.

Thanks for sharing. May you wear those in good health.

I’m gonna have to disagree with you here man I own the naruto collection (4 of them including this one) as well as 2 of the street fighters and I gotta admit they were executed well compared to their characters and seiko taking the time to reflect the character in the details as I’ll explain.

1) The bezel is still usable as a timing bezel as all you really need is 1 marker on the bezel that differentiates it from the rest of the bezel to mark where your time starts and just count how much forward the minute hand has progressed since then.

The actual design for the bezel is supposed to look like his headband he wears in the show and the material/color all of that is supposed to replicate the metal of it and that I think that’s crazy attention to detail and done very well. The sasuke model has the same bezel design but the logo on top is scratched out in the show so on the watch it’s an actual scratch deep in the bezel which you can actual feel. That’s crazy.

2) The 3 lume plots which you are speaking about are done on purpose. He has the 9 tail beast living within him and therefore 9 of the markers are orange that’s paying attention to the character.

3) the street fighter one you showed is a little crazier than the other ones. That one is just supposed to be crazy like the persona of the Blanka. I have the Ryu and Chun Li and they are executed very well. The Ryu had a beautiful cloth textured dial and faux scratched bezel which also goes with his persona. The chun Li model just feels so high end because of the dial with the framed date window and strap. It’s so shiny lol but looks so cool metal markers.
View attachment 15949085 View attachment 15949087
4) These are very playful collabs and are not meant to be hardcore divers like the SKX was. If you’re buying one of these it won’t be your main watch and it definitely won’t be the only watch you own or even only seiko5 collab model you own. You get one you’ll want another. I guarantee it. The collab models are supposed to be special and stand out from the norm. They don’t follow rules they just give you the best possible character reflection from a collab in a package that has the time, day, and date. If you’re asking for more than that it’s too much. They use the seiko 5 platform because of the real estate for so many colors and designs they couldn’t do on a bezel less or smaller cased watch and that’s that.

5) The 5KX is a casual diver. It’s not a professional diver (or semi-professional) ISO certified full spec sport watch like the SKX was. Where it lost it’s screw down crown and pearl on bezel, it gained a see through display case back which gets people looking at cheaper watches interested in automatic movements and they think the 4R is probably the coolest thing they’ve seen (so far) it’s a gateway watch not a Prospex diver. If they remade the SKX it would be the Prospex SPB. The 5KX is cheap ($500 & less) It only had 100m of water resistance and no screw down crown so I’m not sure why you’re looking for a proper diving bezel on a collab version of a casual dive watch.

6) From what you wrote it looks like the bezel is the only thing turning you away so I’m shocked you didn’t get the Brian May that watch was exactly what you’re asking for.

7) The sushi watch is even worse than these to read and that thing is considered a work of art, it sold out instantly, and you’re only able to find it for above msrp from the secondary market. It literally just released this month too. So quick! So your point about the bezel is irrelevant here. Same thing for the JoJo’s bizarre adventure collab, all “useless” bezels but they sold out quick and are going for $2k each now !!
View attachment 15949111 Seiko fans love this stuff!

8) I too wish the collabs were based on the SPB Prospex divers but they’re over ($1,000) and people tend to buy multiple collab pieces (like you bought 2 and I buy many of these as well) and they’re meant to be fun and easy wears on the weekend and summer etc. shouldn’t cost too much as that would not be wise to keep the collectors buying them. (I wouldn’t be happy if I could only get one of the 4 characters and I’d also be sad if I couldn’t afford them ($5000) for every collab release I like that'd be vacheron money really quick.

9) I wore this “gaara” Naruto collab model today and it looks awesome! The sand textured dial looks gold in the sun and each grain sparkles !!
View attachment 15949127 View attachment 15949128
10) SORRY FOR THE RANT !! But I had to stand up for my boys !! Also I too wish more collabs were on other watches but for anime nerds this is the best execution because character style means everything. check out the presage Porco Rosso collab. More classy and has spring drive.

·
Registered
12,723 Posts
Yeah, I have a Dan Henry 1937 with the VK64 movement and it's just flat out not very good. It's too small to read the 60 minutes correctly and the 24 hour subdial is pretty worthless. The vertical layout with just the minute totalizer and running seconds subdial is better, but it has to vertical, and still has the 60 minutes subdial issue. I don't think I'll ever be getting another watch using one of these movements :(
Yep. For all the reasons you listed, the Miyota 6S21 is a superior movement.

Reactions: DMass

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
View attachment 15949111
Oh my, did they really keep the bezel rotating?? I wouldn't want to see how it looks like at any other position than 12'o clock

·
Registered
626 Posts

View attachment 15949085 View attachment 15949087

View attachment 15949111 Seiko fans love this stuff!

View attachment 15949127 View attachment 15949128
I guess these are supposed to appeal to true fans of the series in question, rather than to watch nerds. Unfortunately all of these collabs are with media properties that are too recent to have much meaning for me, hence I'd only buy them for the aesthetics (and why I liked the Rowing Blazers ones more). Now if they do collabs based on Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, or Akira ... sign me up. Still though I'd have trouble stomaching a rotating but non-functional bezel. Also, the fans of those older series tend to be older on average (thus have more money), so maybe a Prospex collab would be possible.

Another thing to note is that they made over 5,000 each of these LEs that failed to sell out. Depending on what you're trying to optimize for, that's too many. If you're a flipper and you want a profit, then of course it's terrible for you. If Seiko wants to make as many as will roughly sell within a one year period, and have them widely available, then they probably made around the right number of them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I guess these are supposed to appeal to true fans of the series in question, rather than to watch nerds. Unfortunately all of these collabs are with media properties that are too recent to have much meaning for me, hence I'd only buy them for the aesthetics (and why I liked the Rowing Blazers ones more). Now if they do collabs based on Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, or Akira ... sign me up. Still though I'd have trouble stomaching a rotating but non-functional bezel. Also, the fans of those older series tend to be older on average (thus have more money), so maybe a Prospex collab would be possible.

Another thing to note is that they made over 5,000 each of these LEs that failed to sell out. Depending on what you're trying to optimize for, that's too many. If you're a flipper and you want a profit, then of course it's terrible for you. If Seiko wants to make as many as will roughly sell within a one year period, and have them widely available, then they probably made around the right number of them.
Gundam is established enough to have high-end Prospex collabs – for thousands of dollars. Yeah, one would think one of the bigger 90's franchises would warrant a low-end one.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Now if they do collabs based on Cowboy Bebop...
They did, but I think only one design and it was a Quartz.
Movic released a very limited edition mechanical watch to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Cowboy Bebop a few years back. I think it housed a Seiko (SII) or Orient open heart movement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Movic released a very limited edition mechanical watch to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Cowboy Bebop a few years back. I think it housed a Seiko (SII) or Orient open heart movement.
View attachment 15951005
Looks like the 4R39.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Looks like these new Seiko Prospex Solar 38.5mm divers DO NOT have solid end link bracelets. There’s a link below to a Japanese website selling one of the models and the folded end links are clearly visible. It’s nice they added a sapphire crystal, but for roughly $500 USD you’d think solid end links wouldn’t be too much to ask for? If these were $200-$250 USD with Hardlex crystals and folded end links I wouldn’t be complaining. I’ll pass on these for now…

21201 - 21215 of 21215 Posts