WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
22401 - 22420 of 22485 Posts

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
I heard in the US they’re moving away from department stores. Macy’s, etc.
According to a GS AD I spoke with about 2 weeks ago, GS killed off 11 US ADs this year.

Seems like the people doing substantial internet sales got the boot, with others that have great brick and mortar warned. I’m not sure what they were warned about. Possibly displaying prices other than MSRP. I have no proof of that, but it makes sense to me.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
While Mazda is about to come out with hybrid, diesel, and gas versions of a new inline 6. Trying to go a bit backwards, but much higher quality and performance, to attack BMW. Should be interesting. My buddy thinks the Japanese car makers will end up like the Swiss watch makers; appearing to be dead, but the real deal for enthusiasts. Mazda looks to be headed that way.
It is a really interesting time in the automotive industry. Japan's car industry basically became a thing in the US as a result of the '70s fuel crisis - Detroit was completely unprepared, and that's how cars like the Corolla and Civic built their reputations. Now we're at a different sort of crossroads with an environmental crisis, and this time it's Japan that's completely unprepared, kind of shocking considering Honda and Toyota basically invented the hybrid electric segment. You have to wonder just what the hell they've been doing in the twenty years since.

Toyota is currently lobbying against aggressive EV mandates, because they don't have anything to sell. Honda similarly is completely flat-footed in the US, though they do have the Honda E in other markets where short range city car EVs are more viable. Part of the issue is that both companies decided to bet heavily on HFCVs, and while there's some market for that in Japan, it's been basically stillborn here outside of CA.

Mazda's introduction of the MX-30 now, and their positioning of it is just bizarre. They're expecting people to pay $35K for a 143hp FWD crossover with a 35kwh battery with 100 miles of range. Apparently somebody forgot to tell Mazda what decade this is. Subaru meanwhile is relying on a rebodied version of Toyota's upcoming EV that arrives in a few years, because they otherwise don't have anything.

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
Mazda's introduction of the MX-30 now, and their positioning of it is just bizarre.
I don’t know anything about that vehicle, but it sounds like they’re trying harder than the others.

On a 4Runner forum someone said Toyota has 1,000 EV patents, including for the most sophisticated batteries by far. I’m not sure where they’re going, but I agree the Japanese market is a weird one right now.

We’re about to be scolded for car talk, so maybe let’s start a new thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel like that’s the direction Seiko is headed and they already said they will stop selling watches in department stores in the U.S. and no longer make the cheap quartz watches. The cheapest watches they’ll have will be the 5 sport.
It’s unfortunate. What I love so much about Seiko is their “bang for the buck”. They’re affordable but still have that name recognition that some people feel good about. What I mean by that is certain models can retain value among the community. I feel like I’m buying a piece of jewelry rather than a worthless hunk of metal. I start to look at micro brands, which put out comparable, if not better watches, but feel like if I ever get bored and want to sell it off, it really doesn’t hold a ton of value- if that makes sense.

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
It’s unfortunate. What I love so much about Seiko is their “bang for the buck”. They’re affordable but still have that name recognition that some people feel good about. What I mean by that is certain models can retain value among the community. I feel like I’m buying a piece of jewelry rather than a worthless hunk of metal. I start to look at micro brands, which put out comparable, if not better watches, but feel like if I ever get bored and want to sell it off, it really doesn’t hold a ton of value- if that makes sense.
Department stores in most parts of the US don’t have customers who’d buy Seiko. Even Fossil now is too advanced for them. They’re more concerned about robbing or shooting someone compared to shopping for watches. Maybe that’s just me, but 90% of malls are close to death and only perused by thugs.

I’m proud of Seiko for ditching American malls. They’re probably horrified by what they see.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Depends on which microbrand. Halios watches you're pretty much guaranteed to make back at least 110% of what you paid if you decide to sell. A comparably priced Sumo isn't likely to lose a ton of value, but it will lose some. Also depends on which Seiko. The SLA037 has depreciated to the point that they're now worth less than the SLA017.

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
Depends on which microbrand. Halios watches you're pretty much guaranteed to make back at least 110% of what you paid if you decide to sell. A comparably priced Sumo isn't likely to lose a ton of value, but it will lose some. Also depends on which Seiko. The SLA037 has depreciated to the point that they're now worth less than the SLA017.
But let’s be honest. Let’s round up and say a Halios is $800. Is $80 worth the time you burned following and buying a Halios? That’s 6 hours of flipping burgers or 1 hour of fixing an air conditioner. It’s not about value. It’s about hype.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
But let’s be honest. Let’s round up and say a Halios is $800. Is $80 worth the time you burned following and buying a Halios? That’s 6 hours of flipping burgers or 1 hour of fixing an air conditioner. It’s not about value. It’s about hype.
Personally I never got what the big deal was about the Seaforth, but their newer models are quite nice. Look at the quality of the markers on the Universa for example. They're WAY above anything Seiko has until you get to SLA models. I'd be interested myself, but I don't like the matte finished dials, or the counter balance on the minute but not the hour hand (hate it when Seiko does that as well) and the "MECHA. NICAL." at the bottom drives me up the wall. Those aren't words. This isn't Nam, Smokey, there are rules. Why could they use "Hand wind" instead? It was right there!

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
Personally I never got what the big deal was about the Seaforth, but their newer models are quite nice. Look at the quality of the markers on the Universa for example. They're WAY above anything Seiko has until you get to SLA models. I'd be interested myself, but I don't like the matte finished dials, or the counter balance on the minute but not the hour hand (hate it when Seiko does that as well) and the "MECHA. NICAL." at the bottom drives me up the wall. Those aren't words. This isn't Nam, Smokey, there are rules. Why could they use "Hand wind" instead? It was right there!

A robot in China squirted that dial out. No human applied any indices. I’m not saying it’s not nice. The Seaforth was Ok and definitely his best success so far in watchmaking, but to me the Universa is a cartoon watch like the Puck was. By the way I love the Puck. Still my favorite Halios just because it was silly and fun.

Edit - Oh dear I just saw you rated it just below SLA Seikos. Wow. Not even in the same galaxy. This kind of hype is what keeps Halios going. I don’t get it. They’re cool $700 Chinese watches, but to even begin talking about comparing them to the MM300 or anything similar is hysterics, and insanity.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Department stores in most parts of the US don’t have customers who’d buy Seiko. Even Fossil now is too advanced for them. They’re more concerned about robbing or shooting someone compared to shopping for watches. Maybe that’s just me, but 90% of malls are close to death and only perused by thugs.

I’m proud of Seiko for ditching American malls. They’re probably horrified by what they see.
Yup. Malls here in the uk are for mouth-breathers and the terminally unemployed. Like a lot of internet forums, only in the flesh!

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
A robot in China squirted that dial out. No human applied any indices. I’m not saying it’s not nice. The Seaforth was Ok and definitely his best success so far in watchmaking, but to me the Universa is a cartoon watch like the Puck was. By the way I love the Puck. Still my favorite Halios just because it was silly and fun.

Edit - Oh dear I just saw you rated it just below SLA Seikos. Wow. Not even in the same galaxy. This kind of hype is what keeps Halios going. I don’t get it. They’re cool $700 Chinese watches, but to even begin talking about comparing them to the MM300 or anything similar is hysterics, and insanity.
Uh, you've seen how Seiko makes its dials, right? What do you think they do? The markers are pressed and the lume is painted over them.

Watch Analog watch Light Blue Gauge

Clock Measuring instrument Gas Gauge Watch

·
Registered
131 Posts

Mark it zero!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I feel like that’s the direction Seiko is headed and they already said they will stop selling watches in department stores in the U.S. and no longer make the cheap quartz watches. The cheapest watches they’ll have will be the 5 sport.
This is interesting. Do you have the source?

It's a shame, but I also think it's smart. They pumped out endless waves of very-budget quartz and 5 watches* for decades. Now it seems every release is more thought out, and higher quality. They've definitely upped their designs in this transition to going more upmarket (though the specs..not as much).

*also, these weren't particularly good for their imagine, despite being great value. I recall a The Office episode from 2008 where they took the piss out of 'Seyko' for being cheap. While recently, someone asked me (after showing my watch) 'wow, is that a real Seiko?'.

·
Registered
309 Posts
According to a GS AD I spoke with about 2 weeks ago, GS killed off 11 US ADs this year.

Seems like the people doing substantial internet sales got the boot, with others that have great brick and mortar warned. I’m not sure what they were warned about. Possibly displaying prices other than MSRP. I have no proof of that, but it makes sense to me.
[/QU
Grand Seiko is trying to move away from the “omega discount” category of watches and wants to be taken more seriously and as true luxury product where discounts are out of the question such as Rolex or Patek. They are shutting down anyone who they think isn’t fit to represent the brand correctly and value the product. This is part of their plan to retain their value and have a firm foot in the ground as an established luxury brand.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yup. Malls here in the uk are for mouth-breathers and the terminally unemployed. Like a lot of internet forums, only in the flesh!
Went to a mall near me for the first time in forever. It was badly run down... Combination of Covid and Amazon.

There was one nice jewelry store that was supposed to have Oris watches and Seiko Presages, but it was closed being Sunday:( Every other jewelry store just had Citizen, Movado, and basic fashion watches. (Edit - I saw one nice Cocktail time that I considered buying... but was more interesting in heading to the sports bar.)

·
Registered
309 Posts
This is interesting. Do you have the source?

It's a shame, but I also think it's smart. They pumped out endless waves of very-budget quartz and 5 watches* for decades. Now it seems every release is more thought out, and higher quality. They've definitely upped their designs in this transition to going more upmarket (though the specs..not as much).

*also, these weren't particularly good for their imagine, despite being great value. I recall a The Office episode from 2008 where they took the piss out of 'Seyko' for being cheap. While recently, someone asked me (after showing my watch) 'wow, is that a real Seiko?'.
I heard directly from an AD though a quick google search will show many articles talking about how they’re taking steps in the US to go upmarket. I think it’s great and Seiko should occupy that low tier luxury segment as opposed to citizen and orient low budget style. I just see seiko as better than that.

Did someone really ask if you were wearing a real Seiko? Lol that’s the first I heard of it! I think it’s awesome but from around me all I hear is “oh it’s just a Seiko, I thought it was a Rolex”

·
Registered
350 Posts
I heard directly from an AD though a quick google search will show many articles talking about how they’re taking steps in the US to go upmarket. I think it’s great and Seiko should occupy that low tier luxury segment as opposed to citizen and orient low budget style. I just see seiko as better than that.

Did someone really ask if you were wearing a real Seiko? Lol that’s the first I heard of it! I think it’s awesome but from around me all I hear is “oh it’s just a Seiko, I thought it was a Rolex”
I hear and see it too, but except among the WIS people, this is going to be super hard to change attitudes. They are frankly better off going with a different name. It will take decades to get most people to consider Seiko as anything other than a lower tier brand. Look at how much the Kia's and Hyundai's of the world are spending trying to go upscale. It's not sinking in and the secondary market is horrendous.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I hear and see it too, but except among the WIS people, this is going to be super hard to change attitudes. They are frankly better off going with a different name. It will take decades to get most people to consider Seiko as anything other than a lower tier brand. Look at how much the Kia's and Hyundai's of the world are spending trying to go upscale. It's not sinking in and the secondary market is horrendous.
That’s true, it sucks because for example there isn’t an Infiniti in Japan it’s just Nissan but all of the Infiniti models we have still exist over there. It’s only Westerners mainly who have a hard time swallowing a luxury product from a non luxury brand.

·
Registered
83 Posts
2017 when they redesigned the GS dial, GS made a big push in USA and expanded the network of ADs in USA. Then they opened up GS Flagship stores in USA and even started Grand SEIKO USA. And they also separated GS from SEIKO so GS could be able to stand on its own.
Also the various and consecutive US-exclusive releases like the Kira-zuri, the Four Seasons sets, and the Soko....

22401 - 22420 of 22485 Posts