WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
22421 - 22440 of 22482 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
That’s true, it sucks because for example there isn’t an Infiniti in Japan it’s just Nissan but all of the Infiniti models we have still exist over there. It’s only Westerners mainly who have a hard time swallowing a luxury product from a non luxury brand.
That's an excellent point. We definitely believe in a Class System when it comes to products and services. I can't think of many examples that cut against the grain when it comes to that.

·
Registered
508 Posts
So do you throw away all your state, city and local sales taxes now? That's what it would replace.
More or less, yes.

Sure there are roads, police, schools, fire service, and parks. But so much of the remaining tax revenue goes to special interests, sweetheart deals for insiders, no-show patronage jobs, and general waste. The largest portion goes to service outsized untaxed pensions of former municipal and state workers who retire at 47 and collect 80% of their highest salary year plus benefits, for life. Yet the services never improve. Next thing you know they want another .05% of my gross income the next year to benefit some noble cause, which immediately cuts out a 4 day weekend vacation/holiday from my family's budget.

I had originally written that the state and municipal taxes effectively replace VAT, but then I had erased that statement. It has some similarities to VAT. But that would be an incomplete comparison.

Apologies for the tax rant. We used to raid the docks for this type of stuff. But we have grown soft.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Personally I never got what the big deal was about the Seaforth, but their newer models are quite nice. Look at the quality of the markers on the Universa for example. They're WAY above anything Seiko has until you get to SLA models. I'd be interested myself, but I don't like the matte finished dials, or the counter balance on the minute but not the hour hand (hate it when Seiko does that as well) and the "MECHA. NICAL." at the bottom drives me up the wall. Those aren't words. This isn't Nam, Smokey, there are rules. Why could they use "Hand wind" instead? It was right there!

That is another discussion. This thread is about newly released SEIKO / GS watches.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had originally written that the state and municipal taxes effectively replace VAT, but then I had erased that statement. It has some similarities to VAT. But that would be an incomplete comparison.
Quite incomplete, yeah. Value-added tax is for products and services, but in addition to that, we pay our income taxes to state and municipalities, property tax, capital income tax, transfer tax and whatnot.

Still we're the happiest country in the world (even if we vehemently disagree). I guess there's contentment to be found in knowing one's neighbour will never get rich, either.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This seems like a different thread at this point. Speculation of car brands and their parallels to Seiko marketing is all I saw when trying to catch up the last few pages. Interesting, but not what I expect from a new release thread.

Who else is excited for the SPB259J1? I found a nice looking wrist shot online.

View attachment 16120398
Oh, yeah, definitely waiting to have a look at this one.

·
Registered
306 Posts
This seems like a different thread at this point. Speculation of car brands and their parallels to Seiko marketing is all I saw when trying to catch up the last few pages. Interesting, but not what I expect from a new release thread.

View attachment 16120398
At 38mm it seems like a very decent size too. I could see this replacing the current alpinist with the inner bezel.

Anyone know how the alpinist remake did? I have a feeling very poor sales despite its true to original 36mm size which many fans loved but the $2.8k price was hard to swallow. Especially since it didn’t say laural seiko alpinist on it.

·
Registered
306 Posts

View attachment 16120398
Also something I find kind of crazy is this thing has 200m of water resistance while 100m would’ve been great for a watch of this nature (non diving) yet the 5 sport is only 100m 😑

·
Registered
142 Posts

View attachment 16120398
Wow, that looks real nice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeaaaa I might be grabbing this one. I was close to pulling the trigger on the eggshell dial. I love the uniqueness/ storyline of this one.

View attachment 16120398

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

View attachment 16120398
That really is a great shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
Watch Analog watch Blue World Clock

I find it really strange that the “adventure style” watch has 200 meters of water resistance while the “vintage diver style” only has 50m. Also odd how one has a 6R movement at 70 hour power reserve and the other has the 4R with only 40 hours. I don’t get Seiko’s strategy!

22421 - 22440 of 22482 Posts