WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I was in a new AD the other day and got my first in-person experience with Oris, and I fell in love with the Aquis Titan Automatic with black dial.
9915_743_7664_71_54_mb.png
Now the dealer price was retail $2450, and even at my best I don't think I could get them to budge 30%, which puts me at ~$1,700 plus tax. I think they would probably be closer to a 10% discount. I have seen these at a few online 'grey market' dealers for ~$1400.

The real question is it worth buying from an authorized dealer?
I know with my Rolex I would not buy new from anyone but an AD.

This is a huge savings, and I don't see the resale as high with Oris, so I would rather save as much as possible up front. Just in case I ever sell...

thanks

Sorry - just read the sticky, can't delete....

·
Registered
36 Posts
You should call Toppers jewelers. They quoted me a great price on an Oris. They are an AD and a forum sponsor. You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
60,608 Posts
Even though I'm on another continent I have heard lots of good things about Topper. I have bought all my watches from an AD and wouldn't dream of going to the grey market. If you buy from an AD you can register the watch with My Oris and get a third year's warranty from Oris - not something you can do with a watch bought on the grey market.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Funny I should cone across this thread today. My Oris TT1 Ti, same configuration as the OP posted arrived today from As the OP stated I saved a great deal of money @ $1400 and change. The watch was flopping around inside the packaging. There was no protective film on the bracelet or clasp. Numerous marks in the soft Ti to say the least.

Needless to say, it's going back.is giving a full refund plus return shipping. This is the downside of the online/grey market watch game. They offered a replacement but honestly, once I get a stinker, it taints the experience and I move on.

Had I gone to an AD I would have Paid more but I'd be wearing a perfect specimen and be happy as a clam.

Just my experience and thoughts.........

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have bought Oris and other watches from gray market places as well as authorized dealers. In fact I just purchased a small Seconds diver from a great AD this week. In this case the AD went way out of his way to find me the older ETA version of the small seconds diver. If you look you should be able to get 25-30% off MSRP.

I guess your decision depends on how much you value a warranty versus how good of a deal you get. FYI the warranties offered by most gray market dealers aren't worth the paper they are printed on. First it only covers the movement and not the crown/stem which appears to be a common trouble area. And in many cases where the watch (Movement) isn't running well or has a broken part in it, they will tell you that is not a defect and it needs a routine movement service or rebuild and that isn't covered either. Most don't cover any water damages. So if you get a dive watch that leaks, it is not covered. If you return the watch many will stick you with a 10-20% restocking fee even if the watch is defective.

When I have bought watches through gray market dealers, the price was good enough that I could pay for a complete rebuild if something went wrong and still come out ahead. I have never had a problem with the watches I have bought off etc. but all you have to do is read the reviews on various sites to see that problems do happen and in most cases the gray market places won't stand behind the watch. One thing to be aware of when reading reviews o GM dealers on places like is that users there only have a very limited time to post feedback, so if a watch dies after a year and the GM dealer won't fix it, that would never shop up in the ratings. For me, a couple hundred bucks off a 2 grand watch isn't enough to risk it.

Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is also the issue of, "looks just like an Oris, smells like an Oris, has the same movement as an Oris, but it isn't an Oris", in other words, a knock-off, fake, or however you like to phrase it. When you deal with an AD, there is just a certain feeling of you got what you are paying for with a great deal of comfort.

Yes, I probably could have paid less for my watches, but the peace of mind with a warrantee, usually great people to work with if you have a problem, and getting the genuine article has been worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I was quoted 1900+tax for the Titan at my local AD, and from experience, they will come down a bit more from that. They have a website and will ship. PM me if you'd like the name or phone number. After you have some comp prices, give your local guys one more chance to match it, since there is always an advantage in holding and inspecting the EXACT watch you're buying prior to purchase. Just my two cents, enjoy and post pics!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts