WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The electric blue SMP was the watch that launched my interest in Omega and higher end watches in general. About 6 years ago I obtained a 2055.80 which I love. I love the wave dial SMP's in general and the sword hand versions in particular. Having the electric blue I have had a desire to get the black dial 2254.50 for several years now. The prices have really shot up in the past year and I decided I needed to get one before they (potentially) got priced out of my reach.

I found some nice examples on eBay, but they were on the high end of what I though was a good price. Then eBay had a promotion of 10% off, 5% of your purchase in eBay bucks (up to $100), and a 2nd party authentication service. With those perks I pulled the trigger. The watch was in Japan but with some research and the help of the seller the process was easy to navigate. Finally got the watch a few days ago. The case and bracelet aren't mint but in very good shape. Most importantly for this model the bezel in nearly perfect. It's running about 8 seconds a day fast and has had a recent service. I got everything but the warranty card so nearly full kit.

Very happy to have the counterpart to the 2055.80. The eBay seller was japanmarkets, and I can recommend them if you want to purchase that route.

20210501_100514.jpg 20210501_100455.jpg 20210501_100523.jpg 2254.50.jpg 20210429_111942.jpg

·
Registered
31,519 Posts
Congratulations, nice looking watch.

Enjoy.

Reactions: Grand Omega

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Congratulations, OP!! That's a great pair of Seamasters you have there.🤠👌 Enjoy!!

René

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great to hear you were able to navigate the overseas buying process. I was recently in the market and found several OCONUS as well, but after researching VAT and the process I restricted my search to USA only. perhaps I need to reconsider. Great looking piece!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Great to hear you were able to navigate the overseas buying process. I was recently in the market and found several OCONUS as well, but after researching VAT and the process I restricted my search to USA only. perhaps I need to reconsider. Great looking piece! "

It wasn't too hard. The seller took care of all the declarations to customs. I did go over with them how they would value the watch prior to shipping so I was prepared for what I'd have to pay. They put 75% of the value in the movement. The movement is a flat fee ($1.53 as I recall). Then it was 4.2% the value of the case and 9.8% the value of the bracelet. In all it cost me $67 in import fees and that included any fees DHL charged for paying the duty.

The seller shipped it to the authenticator via DHL. I gave DHL a credit card number to pay the import fees. The authenticator shipped it to me Fedex.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Now that’s a keeper! I have a 2255, and I’m kicking myself for not having picked up a 2254!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Congrats! I picked up a new 2254 the year they were discontinued. It didn't last long as I got the Rolex itch very soon after. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
That's a beautiful piece, congratulations! Love the sword hands. I've been close many times to pulling the trigger on the 50th anniversary GMT with the same dial and hands.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Congrats OP! That’s a classic you got. I got mine last year from TS on this forum, and have been very pleased with mine. Goes well next to my Bond 2220.80. Overall mine was in fantastic condition except for a small nick on the bezel. Being very particular, I bought the complete bezel assembly from Swatch Canada just in case they run out of it or refuse to sell separate in future. I intend to have the bezel replaced at the next service in a few years time. Enjoy yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts