WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all: I'm one of a number of us who picked up one of these Alpha USA Milsubs recently from e-bay (thanks again for the heads-up). This is my first Alpha, I really like the no date milsub style generally, and for $42 I couldn't resist. It shipped quickly (even to here in Toronto), and I have to say I'm pretty impressed.

Outside of the throwaway strap, the watch appears and feels well-made and finished. The bezel rotates crisply and smoothly, and lines up bang on with the dial markers. The dial itself is simple, clean and well-executed for what it is, and I have no problem looking at it.

The only thing throwing me off is the movement of the second hand... it stutters and starts like a car trying to run too soon when it's cold. Sometimes it almost looks like a quartz ticking! It's a bit disconcerting, but I've never had a movement of this kind before so maybe it is normal. I can live with it if so. I'll feel better after a 24 hour timing cycle. I could really care less how smoothly the second hand sweeps if the watch is keeping decent time...

As for size, i tend to wear larger watches (42mm+), but this feels good and not too small at 40mm or so. At least I know I can be comfortable with the real thing if I choose to go that way someday ;-)

I have a feeling this one is going to earn a serious wrist time/dollar ratio. And I'm looking forward to playing around with different straps for it. I really can't think of much bad to say, especially for practically what I can spend on a lunch...

Some pics... I thought I'd throw in some comparison shots too for reference. FYI my wrist is about 7.5". Thanks for reading, and hope this helps if anyone is considering this watch or one like it.

Some pics with the competition ;-)

Cheers,
HBL

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
That one joins a pretty prestigious collection. If it is worthy of being worn at all when you have those choices, it certainly is a great deal. I missed out on them, but will keep an eye out for an Alpha on the sales forum.

·
Registered
23,402 Posts
It always astounds me that a watch of that caliber costs so little to produce~Congrats and wear it in health!

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
That looks great on the Bond nato. I had exactly the same stutter issue with mine but I quickly got used to it.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
That one joins a pretty prestigious collection. If it is worthy of being worn at all when you have those choices, it certainly is a great deal. I missed out on them, but will keep an eye out for an Alpha on the sales forum.
It might be worth sending Mark from Alpha USA an email, either via ebay or the Alpha USA site. I think someone was suggesting somewhere that he might have more of these for sale.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks great on the Bond nato. I had exactly the same stutter issue with mine but I quickly got used to it.
Thank you, good to hear it's not unheard of (another member has mentioned it as well). Timekeeping is acceptable so far for me (~+15s in first 16 hrs). Certainly not COSC, as expected, but not indicative of anything amiss either.

Cheers,
HBL

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Just got mine new off the bay. I do not have a bad word to say, it is well worth the money. The stutter thing doesn't bother me at all to be honest it is not that noticeable. If I paid 500 bucks there are a few things that I wouldn't be happy with but I didn't so no point bring those issues up. For 40 bucks this is a great watch with great design and detail. The lume actually lasts all night unlike my Vostoks. It is about plus 7 secs a day which is great. My only suggestion is ditch the strap and buy one soon before they are all gone. You will not be disappointed.

Cheers

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got mine new off the bay. I do not have a bad word to say, it is well worth the money. The stutter thing doesn't bother me at all to be honest it is not that noticeable. If I paid 500 bucks there are a few things that I wouldn't be happy with but I didn't so no point bring those issues up. For 40 bucks this is a great watch with great design and detail. The lume actually lasts all night unlike my Vostoks. It is about plus 7 secs a day which is great. My only suggestion is ditch the strap and buy one soon before they are all gone. You will not be disappointed.

Cheers
Congrats, and sounds like you got a good one re: timekeeping. Mine seems not to be as great as initial indications... I'm over a minute fast a day now. Not sure if it's bothering me enough to do anything about it... but it's getting into the "it's kind of bugging me" territory ; ) We'll see.

Post some pics when you choose a strap!

Cheers,
HBL

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
I put mine on rubber, lucked out and don't have the stutter, very good accuracy + stability. Love it.

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
My MilSub was a Father's Day present, and as such I like it even more than if I just bought it myself. Mine doesn't stutter much but since it is an indirect seconds hand design it will be prone to it anyway. From what I understand the stutter or even stopping the second hand doesn't affect timekeeping.

I wear mine in regular rotation with all my subs, IMO it's just as nice as the rest though I do tend to favor my home brew and snowflake mod more than the others ;-)

Congrats on one of the great Affordable deals :-!

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
Congrats on one of the unique Alpha's to buy, IMO. Here's the one I enjoyed on both Modena rubber and MQJ steel:

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Congrats, I have one as well on a bond nato. Mine doesn't really stutter, and I regultated it myself to about +5s a day. It keeps great time since then, with little to no variation. IMHO this is a good design and quality for a very decent price :)

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Congrats on the pick-up of your MilSub; for the original price, it was hard to beat, and at your price, it's an outright steal. I had no issues with the movement, however I agree with some other posters, the original strap left a lot to be desired. I changed-out the original strap for a Maratac Elite "True Fit" composite strap pictured here.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats, I have one as well on a bond nato. Mine doesn't really stutter, and I regultated it myself to about +5s a day. It keeps great time since then, with little to no variation. IMHO this is a good design and quality for a very decent price :)
Would it be a lot to ask for you to give a short/point form version of how to perform the regulation? Or even a link to a reference... I think I'd like to try this, I've been wanting to and this watch seems like a good candidate.

Thanks in advance if you can provide any advice.

Cheers,
HBL

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
No problem ;-)

I first unscrewed the back using a nice, sticky rubber ball. A wad of ductape may also do the trick.

Next, using my fine (black AF) screwdriver I nudged the regulator arm (the one with the two small dots on it, NOT the arm with the one large dot and the little screw, don't touch that one - see picture) slightly toward the (-) or (+) position. Watch out for the correct direction, once again: see the picture for wich way to push the regulator for faster or slower. You could also use a toothpick for example with the point cut off. Just make sure you keep the tool as horizontal as possible: you don't want to slide off the regulator and into the balance assembly...

PICT2188.JPG
(Not my pic, different movement but same principle)

You don't have to move the regulator by a lot, just a very tiny amount. It just takes a bit of practice, and a lot of patience. It took me about 5 attempts to get it within my desired range.

I hope this lousy explanation has done some good for you :-d

·
Registered
Speedmaster coaxial on Forstner Komfit
2,043 Posts
That pic (regulation example) seems mirrored compared to what my Milsub looks like. Also, the regulator arm sits below the stud arm (where the outer end of the hairspring is attached) in mine.
But that doesn't change the principle: moving the regulator away from the stud arm = shorter effective spring length = faster watch.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks LCheapo... I just went ahead with my first attempt, and you're quite right about it looking similar... Not sure how I did yet of course. Time will tell (literally ; )

Cheers,
HBL

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Indeed that pic is from an old post about regulating a Seiko movement, which is mirror image. Same rules apply though. I also regulate my own affordables, and recently had useful cautionary exchange with zippofan about his bad experience dropping a tool into the moving balance. It's a good idea to let the watch spin down before trying this the first few times.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good advice I'm sure... Luckily this is a hacking movement, and I remembered to pull the crown ; )

1 - 20 of 68 Posts