WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newly arrived! Ordered in March. Even better in person than in photos. Thanks Stowa!

Handwind, engraved. Love seeing it next to the modern Damasko - interesting to see the original fliegers next to modern designs.

Keegan

120730_0002.jpg 120730_0008.jpg 120730_0014.jpg 120730_0018.jpg 120730_0021.jpg 120730_0027.jpg

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
Did you have to specify that hand wind (2801?) or could you point me to the link to that particular watch on their site?

I thought there was only one model with the 2801 fitted ? and all the rest were auto's ?, that what the website implies as far as I can see

·
Registered
270 Posts
You email them and it's not a problem.

Thanks for the pictures, I'll be getting one of them in September and I'm going over to pick it up. Can't wait, and I probably ordered it about the same time as you.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Looks great Keegan, and thanks for the pics! That was a long time coming, but I am sure you will enjoy your new German arrival. Don't forget to update your sig, looks like youll be getting serious with the Dornbluth next : )

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dont mind Mikes dryness, he's British. :) But also correct, and fighting the good fight to reduce unnecessary posts.

And just to add, yes they are the same size, but the dial design on the Damasko means it wears a little larger than the Stowa. Both exquisite.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Thanks for the compliment, almost 4 years in London undoubtedly had some impact, maybe I even adopted British dryness but I am German.
Ah, but the real question is whether you were in-house produced in Germany or or simply cased and shipped from there with the German label!

·
Registered
821 Posts
What do the engraving numbers signify?

Watch looks great, by the way. You went with something other than the Old Style strap? ;-)

John

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,704 Posts
What do the engraving numbers signify?

I wondered that too, and was able to find out that it was marked on the original Fleigers. The FL=flight, 23=navigation. Not sure what exactly the 883 stands for.
During WW II the German Air Ministry = German Reichsluftfahrtministerium (RLM) classified all "navigation instruments" from Fl. 23000 to Fl 23999. Fl 23235 for example was used for the "Armbandkompass". The Beobachtungsuhren got Fl 23883, on-board clocks got Fl 23885, Fl 23886, Fl 23887 (Bo-UK 1 and Bo UK-2).

Fl. 23883 and Fl. 23235

The specifications of these watches had been defined by the „Reichsluftfahrtministerium“ as well.

Due to those specifications all B-watches had the following features in common:

- A case diameter of 55 mm
- Marked on the back with FL 23883 (FL = flight, 23 = navigation)
- Equipped with large crowns in order to be used with gloves
- Hacking movement (the second hand stops when pulling out the crown / essential for a precise time setting)
- Breguet balance spring
- Regulated and tested as chronometers
- Long leather strap (to be worn on the sleeve of a flight jacket).

There have been two different types of dials (Pls. note: there are other figures available on the net. not sure whioch are correct)

Type A (Baumuster A) from 1940 to January 1941

a classic dial with numerals 1 to 11 and the triangle with two dots at 12

Type B (Baumuster B) starting in January 1941

Big minute numerals from 5 to 55 and a small inner circle with numerals for h, at the position of 60 min a triangle and a line on its top.

If your are interested in watches of WW II and their history I recommend to visit the hompage of Konrad Knirim (Militäruhren: Collectors Site for Military Timepieces) .

·
Registered
821 Posts
Funny Lencoth ;-)

Mike, when you mention B-watches having certain features, are you referring to the B vs. A dial or to another aspect? Would the engraving be as appropriate on an A dial watch as a B dial?

John

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The answer is yes! Engraving is just as appropriate for the A-dial!

Funny Lencoth ;-)

Mike, when you mention B-watches having certain features, are you referring to the B vs. A dial or to another aspect? Would the engraving be as appropriate on an A dial watch as a B dial?

John

1 - 20 of 28 Posts