WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
This one's the Ariadne, by Christiaan van der Klaauw. I'll eventually put up a review, but since I'm not much of a love-at-first-sight kind of guy, I generally need time before I can share my opinions.
I like it very much Theo :-! Blued hands on creme dials, with elaborate finishing puts this look in the winners circle for me. The red accents for the seconds/date, and maize for the moon, give an otherwise busy dial, more clarity IMHO.

The only thing I didn't love about the watch, at first glance was the claw, leg, and feathers of what, I presume is supposed to depict some sort of raptor. Eagle perhaps?

Congrats on a beautiful acquisition :) Wear it in good health.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like it very much Theo :-! Blued hands on creme dials, with elaborate finishing puts this look in the winners circle for me. The red accents for the seconds/date, and maize for the moon, give an otherwise busy dial, more clarity IMHO.
Yes, on paper, it seems like a busy dial. But because the finish and decorations are so well done, and the fonts are so crisp, it doesn't seem overly cluttered. Also I was shocked that the alligator strap was blue when I got it (the pictures made it seem black), but it looks absolutely amazing.

The only thing I didn't love about the watch, at first glance was the claw, leg, and feathers of what, I presume is supposed to depict some sort of raptor. Eagle perhaps?
The bird's claw was van der Klaauw's old logo. However, they've recently (in the past year or two?) changed it. The new logo is a flared sun, and the rotor is different. It looks like this:

However, the new Ariadne is priced at €4900, whereas I bought it at around $3900 (USD).

There was an article a while ago, which essentially stated that with van der Klaauw's new logo, the management was changing (likely in preparation for the day Christiaan is no longer around), and with that, price increases. I figured this would be likely the last time I'll ever get to get a piece for an affordable price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts