WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fancied something a bit rugged and macho looking to do some mods on. They don't come much more rugged (and cheap!) than a casio G Shock. I saw the same model that had been dyed a few weeks ago so did a bit of research into what was required.

So first visit over to the bay to get one of these sent over from the US. A nice and rugged watch with good features at a very attractive price ($57). I chose this model as it had a black/grey display with a black surround, most of the others have different lighter surrounds so it wouldn't look as good when it was stealthed.

Looks good but not really my cup of tea - OK for A mission to the Artic or downtown Baghdad but not really leafy Berkshire!

You don't need much equipment, just the nerve to take a new watch apart and boil it :shock:

First thing to do is take off the straps and bezel.

Ahh naked....

Then boil up some black dye. All of the articles I've read are US based and refer to RIT dye, couldn't find that so used Dylon which you can get all over the place. Used 1 pint or water to a small tin and brought it to the boil.

Then reduce to a simmer and drop in the bezel and strap pieces. I think its pretty much guess work on how long to give it as surprisingly Dylon didn't include anything on their instructions about watches! So I gave it 10 minutes - using the watch I'd just taken apart to time it.

Looking good...

Took the bits out and then washed them to check. Looks good!
Now you'll need to fix the dye in or run the risk of some of it running and spoiling the look or you - or both.
You'll need this :-

standard household vinegar. Mixed up about 1/2 and 1/2 with boiling water.

Then back in for another 10 minutes. See how some of the dye has leeched out and turned the mixture yellow.

Another quick rinse, a dry off.

put the bits back together again and then into the garden for a fashion shoot!

I 'm really pleased with it, just the look I was after. It looks really cool in the dark with the blue backlight as well!!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Great catch, great job, great photos! I like the how to nature. :-!|>

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
A very nicely photographed How-To, we need this popped into our articles for future reference :-! Well done, it looks great, apart from the fact I don't like stealthed Gs, but that of no importance whatsoever ..... :-d

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
VERY nicely done... I went a different route... but similar results!

:)

And I have kept my Jam'n G as is!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Great job although funnily enough I ordered one of these specifically because it had a camo resin case and strap lol
yes, i also personally love the camo.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Yes me too, a great looking version of the 6900, but I suppose if you like black, you like black. :-d

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
That looks fantastic. b-)

·
Registered
207 Posts
As my son would say, "That is really tight !" :):)

robert

·
Registered
15 Posts
Like the "bull bars" adds to the rugged look.

I've now got the bug on stealthing and have started to look through the Casio catalogue for candidates!!

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Nice job, sjedwardz - you took the same route to a 'Buzzbait' that I did. Beautiful photos too. :-!

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
i dun understand how u guys take such crisp pics. i really really dun understand it.

great dyeing job, man !!!!
now i know u need vinegar to complete a dye job.

awesome technique and pics !!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
|>|>|>|>|>

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
i dun understand how u guys take such crisp pics. i really really dun understand it.

great dyeing job, man !!!!
now i know u need vinegar to complete a dye job.

awesome technique and pics !!
mansrow,

Get the camera further from the subject. Use good light (outside is good). Make sure it is focus. Maybe you are trying to get closer than the camera can focus.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
A nice illustrated guide for dyeing a DW6900s, Sjedwardz.

You put a lot of work on those photos. Great Images. Thanks for sharing them. :-!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts