WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This showed up today

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Rectangle

The only Omega dealer in driving distance didn't have any in stock, so I ordered online sight-unseen from a dealer with a generous return policy. Still debating whether I'll keep it. First time I've put hands on a "proper" luxury watch since we don't really have any ADs for premium brands around here. Well, there's a Rolex AD, but good luck actually seeing a Rolex at an AD...

A few impressions:
-Dial is more muted than I was expecting. It almost comes across as more slate or steel blue in many lights. Not a bad thing at all, just unexpected. In photos it always seemed a more vibrant blue.
-Crystal is super clear. Like disappears in some lights clear. I thought the crystals in my other watches were clear. Nope. Credit the external AR (which will unfortunately pick up scratches)
-Movement accuracy and positional variance on this one is excellent. Popped it on my Weishi in the 4 positions I care about (dial up and the 3 dial vertical positions) and was getting between 0 and +2.
-Bracelet is nicely finished, but not my style. Don't care for butterfly clasps or the PCLs. If I decide to keep it I'll be putting it on a strap.
-The crown is genuinely unpleasant to use. It's tucked in so close to the case that it's hard to grip, and all you're really able to grip is the relatively sharp edge at the flared end. And there's not much texture there, so you have to squeeze pretty hard when winding or screwing the crown back down, which is borderline painful. And it doesn't pop very far from the case, so I struggle to pull it out to the time or date setting positions because my finger nails are very short. My other watches with screw down crowns I'm able to get the meat of my finger between the case and popped crown to pull the crown.
-Wish there was more lume on the hands. This would really benefit from maybe a slightly slimmer version of the PO's hand set, with a broad arrow on the hour hand and lume down the length of the minute hand. What it has is serviceable, but could be better.
-Love the 38mm size. Great fit on my 6.5" wrist. Wears a lot like my SARB035. Would be nice if it was a millimeter thinner, but thickness is tolerable.

And now a controversial take: I honestly wasn't as blown away by the overall fit and finish as I thought I would be. That's not me saying the finish is in any way poor. This may be more a testament to how good Christopher Wards are these days, but there is not a huge step up in fit and finish from my C60. The AT's bracelet is noticeably nicer quality (even if I don't care for the design). And the sunray brushed dial is more sophisticated and luxurious, so point to Omega there. But the hands, indices, and casework are not discernably better, IMO. At least not without significant magnification. In fact, the end link fitment is actually tighter on the CW, and I can see that with the naked eye. Of course, the Omega delivers in other areas, like the 8800 movement (which was one of the big draws for me).

As I mentioned, I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll keep it. This was far and away more expensive than any other watch I've purchased. In fact, it's more than the sum total of what I've spent on every watch I've ever owned. I wasn't really expecting to like the bracelet, so that's not really a factor in my decision. I was not expecting, and was disappointed by, how uncomfortable the crown was to operate. Granted, I wouldn't be operating the crown daily, but I also am not sure how I feel about owning a watch where operating the crown is a borderline painful experience. I was also a little shocked that the fit and finish wasn't really much better than my next most expensive watch, for which I paid a small fraction of the price. But I have a feeling that, at under $6K, improvements in fit and finish are rather incremental versus watches half or 1/3 the price.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Nice watch but I will go against the grain and advise you to return it. If you already have doubts, they’re not going to go away once you’ve worn it for a few weeks. There’s a chance they’ll really bug you. I say this as I had an AT for a while. Initially I loved it but the first thing that started to needle me was the crown. It looks broken to me. It should either be more recessed or less. Currently it’s halfway.

Aqua terras are hard to sell so if you do find you can’t live with it, you’ll probably take quite a hit on it. I was surprised how hard mine was to move on. Lots of dealers wouldn’t even make an offer on it. Just a straight “not interested“ which is unusual for an Omega.

You need a new watch to really excite you. This AT clearly doesn’t so there’s no point in keeping it. That perfect watch is out there. Quit while you can and start the hunt again. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Having had the AT (green) myself, and moved it on after 6 or 7 months, I understand where you are coming from. There was a lot to love about the watch, but I am with you on a couple of your points, including the crown.
There wasn't much that I could clearly point to that tipped the scales for me, and it was very marginal whether to keep it or not, but I did keep looking at the polished centre links and you could see micro-crazing with the naked eye, and then I couldn't unsee it.
As I said, it is a great watch, and I would never try to dissuade someone from buying it, but in the end, for me, it just didn't do it.
You may be in the same place, or you may come to love it, I would only say, give it a bit of time so that you are really sure which way you lean, the AT is a good enough watch that it deserves a fair crack of the whip.

Reactions: cybercat

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Very nice AT - love the blue. Congratulations on your buy

First time I've put hands on a "proper" luxury watch since we don't really have any ADs for premium brands around here. Well, there's a Rolex AD, but good luck actually seeing a Rolex at an AD...
That AT looks better than any of the Rolex competitors. I prefer the Sub over the AT but then I prefer the SMP over a Sub. Rolex would be a nice watch to add to an Omega collection.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nice watch but I will go against the grain and advise you to return it. If you already have doubts, they’re not going to go away once you’ve worn it for a few weeks. There’s a chance they’ll really bug you. I say this as I had an AT for a while. Initially I loved it but the first thing that started to needle me was the crown. It looks broken to me. It should either be more recessed or less. Currently it’s halfway.

Aqua terras are hard to sell so if you do find you can’t live with it, you’ll probably take quite a hit on it. I was surprised how hard mine was to move on. Lots of dealers wouldn’t even make an offer on it. Just a straight “not interested“ which is unusual for an Omega.

You need a new watch to really excite you. This AT clearly doesn’t so there’s no point in keeping it. That perfect watch is out there. Quit while you can and start the hunt again. Best of luck.
I have a 1st gen AT which I love but this is good advice. I've learnt the hard way that watches don't grow on me. If I don't love it straight away I never will. There's a similar thing with classic cars. If it doesn't look good from 20 feet then walk away because it'll only get worse the closer you get.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just to be clear, a lot of my trepidation I think is just a bit of "I can't believe I spent this much for a watch". I've never spent more than $800 on a watch and for a while had a self imposed cap of $1000. I didn't just break that, I shattered it and then set the pieces on fire. I have similar feelings pretty much every time I spend more than $100 on something. I always keep the plastic on for a few days while I ponder "do I really really want to keep this?" It's why I won't buy from sellers with 72 hour return windows. I've never bought a watch and instantly said "this is a keeper", even the keepers. Just how I am. I always second guess discretionary purchases, even of things I really like.

I knew going in that I wasn't going to love the bracelet and had intended to swap to a strap from the moment I pressed "purchase". So that's not a part of it.

As to the fit and finish remarks, that was probably me having unreasonable expectations. I guess I was expecting to be blown away by a $5000+ watch compared to a $800 watch, but the differences just aren't that large. I feel like if I handed my C60 and the AT to someone who knew nothing of watches and asked which they thought cost more and by how much, they'd say the Omega, but that it was only maybe 2x the price.

The crown is really the one wart for me and something very unexpected. I like the way it looks, but it's really hard to get good purchase on it. And since it's hard to grip, it's hard for me to feel the threads. I'm worried I'll cross or strip the threads.

Also, I posted a thread a while back asking for recommendations for my perfect watch under $6000. The AT and the OP36 were probably the 2 closest matches for what I was looking for, and I prefer the aesthetics of the AT to the OP.

Thanks, all, for the feedback.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I have the black one and really like it. But I have to agree with what was said, above. That’s a lot of money to spend on something you’re not totally satisfied with. Spend it on something you’re sure about. At least those are my thoughts.

if it’s solely the trepidation of spending that much money, that feeling does get better over time. I went through that, too.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
It looks like you should best return it, too many negatives.
Did you also consider the AT on the rubber strap? Or maybe had a look at the Railmaster or Globemaster, or Grand Seiko?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yup....agree with most of the posters here....I purchased my green AT but after someone else bought it. For me, shelling out the full retail price was a bit much. But, as someone else pointed out, selling an AT 2nd hand typically is a win for the buyer and not for the seller. If it's a sticker shock thing and yet you like the rest of the watch, have a look at resale here on the forum or at others like Omega's and Rolex's - you can typically grab a good looking, lightly used one for a nice discount off of retail. Mine still had most of the warranty left on the watch and had a great price tag so you didn't feel as guilty. HA! Outside of that, I like that blue and would have gone with it too had I not gotten such a great deal on this green AT!

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Just to be clear, a lot of my trepidation I think is just a bit of "I can't believe I spent this much for a watch". I've never spent more than $800 on a watch and for a while had a self imposed cap of $1000. I didn't just break that, I shattered it and then set the pieces on fire. I have similar feelings pretty much every time I spend more than $100 on something. I always keep the plastic on for a few days while I ponder "do I really really want to keep this?" It's why I won't buy from sellers with 72 hour return windows. I've never bought a watch and instantly said "this is a keeper", even the keepers. Just how I am. I always second guess discretionary purchases, even of things I really like.

As to the fit and finish remarks, that was probably me having unreasonable expectations. I guess I was expecting to be blown away by a $5000+ watch compared to a $800 watch, but the differences just aren't that large. I feel like if I handed my C60 and the AT to someone who knew nothing of watches and asked which they thought cost more and by how much, they'd say the Omega, but that it was only maybe 2x the price.

Thanks, all, for the feedback.
Once the sting of spending out of your comfort zone wears off (it won't take long) you'll re adjust your spending parameters. I regard myself as fairly frugal but my partner often responds to my "just got this bargain" with "just listen to yourself, some people wouldn't spend that on a car".

If you need any justification. The price of your watch will seem like a bargain in a few years. My partners Seamaster cost about £1000. She's worn it constantly for about 15 years so it was technically free! (although it wasnt, it isn't and what I just said doesn't make much sense). They currently sell for around £3000 so I can spend the difference on another watch. I think I earned £2000? Yeah, im pretty sure that's how it works.

Plenty of enablers around here if you need any pointers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Congrats on your first bold move, I think you have 3 options that you need to consider:
1- Return the watch and continue your search for the one that will be really impressed with.
2- Change the dial and consider the the rubber strap combination because it is expensive to purchase later.
3- Keep the watch but only if you really like it.

I hope you didn't pay full MSRP because you can get a decent discount on one of these which would make it a bit easier to swallow the bullet.

Finally, the C60 and AT are two different models so comparing the two is like comparing Apple to Lemon, what I like about the AT is its simplicity, timeless look, and the fact that you can dress it up or down.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It looks like you should best return it, too many negatives.
Did you also consider the AT on the rubber strap? Or maybe had a look at the Railmaster or Globemaster, or Grand Seiko?
Honestly, the only negative is the crown. And I'm increasingly thinking it's going to be a deal-breaker

The bracelet, as I said, isn't really a negative for me. I knew what I was getting going in and made that choice consciously. Plan was basically to pick up a strap from day 1 and never even wear or size the bracelet. I'm finicky about bracelets and most of my watches aren't worn on one because of that. But it's more cost effective to buy with the bracelet and then buy an aftermarket strap than to buy the bracelet separate (if you wanted it for some reason). Also possibility for better ROI if I wanted to sell later if I had a pristine, unworn bracelet in the package.

My comments on the finishing also aren't negatives. I think it looks fantastic and is very well finished. Only that I, perhaps unreasonably, was expecting to see a more significant increase in how premium the watch looked or felt versus less expensive watches I own. I'm not sure what I was expecting. Perhaps that I'd open the box and be bathed in a heavenly light? I'm certain I'd feel the same if I'd bought a Rolex or GS at the same price. I think that the combination of "wow, I spent a lot of money" combined with "if I didn't know better, I wouldn't think this watch cost 7x as much" really hit home, and would be true for any watch at this price. I've always known that price and quality/finish don't increase linearly, and there's a point of diminishing returns, but had not actually experienced it first hand with watches. So not so much a complaint as an observation.

Appreciate the other suggestions. I specifically want a watch with applied indices (printed dials just don't do it for me), so Railmaster is out. Globemaster is out of budget and I don't really like fluted bezels either.

I did look at GS, but there are no dealers within driving distance (nearest is over 250 miles away) for me to be able to actually see before buying. GS also has very little to offer <40mm. The GS pieces that I find most aesthetically appealing are all 40+ mm, which is a risky fit for me. I can wear some 40mm watches, but definitely need to try them on to know.

I was in a similar boat with the AT in that I wasn't able to see before buying (there is an Omega AD within driving distance, but they have no AT38s), but found a seller that offers free returns with a generous return window so I pulled the trigger knowing it was low risk. I've unfortunately not been able to find a GS dealer with a similarly generous return policy. They either have 72 hour or less return windows, charge a hefty restocking fee, or only accept returns for store credit. If someone can recommend one with free returns for full refund and at least a 14 day return window, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
Omega Aqua Terra 41mm
22 Posts
Well it's the law of diminishing returns. After a certain point, say $1000, doubling the price will get you maybe 10-20% higher quality. With each doubling, this percentage will be lower and lower.

With regard to the crown: I've read multiple times already that the crown on peoples' AT had a defect and that it needed to be repaired. Are you sure yours is working as intended and not just a defect?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it's the law of diminishing returns. After a certain point, say $1000, doubling the price will get you maybe 10-20% higher quality. With each doubling, this percentage will be lower and lower.
That it is. Like I said, it was more an observation than a complaint with the watch. In the past, I played in the affordables pool. An $800 watch frequently looks and feels "about" twice as nice as a $400 watch. At least my Chris Wards felt about twice as nice as any ~$400 watch I'd bought. Then again, I'm thinking Chris Ward finishing is perhaps a bit above their price point.

With regard to the crown: I've read multiple times already that the crown on peoples' AT had a defect and that it needed to be repaired. Are you sure yours is working as intended and not just a defect?
Any more details on the defect and symptoms? Time and date setting were fine. The crown is popped out enough in positions 1 and 2 that I can actually get some purchase on the knurling and get some traction, plus less resistance than winding. Unscrewing it felt OK once I got it un-snugged and is easier than screwing it back down, again because there's very little resistance. I can't get very good purchase when winding because the crown is so close to the case in that position that I can't actually get much of the knurling and there is some resistance in the winding (not quite as much as a 2824/SW200, but it's there). Screwing it back down is difficult for the same reason. The crown winds as you screw it down, so you have resistance from the mainspring plus whatever little resistance in the threads and there just isn't much traction, so you're pinching super hard for grip and that is in turn uncomfortable/painful due to the shape of the crown. Made worse if your fingers have any sweat or oil on them whatsoever.

I've heard similar complaints about other watches with cupcake crowns (Monta), and I get it now. Not the most ergonomic design.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I was going to congratulate but it seems you are not in love with it so I won't force it.

If I were you, I'd return it immediately and move on with my life. Its not for you, its a great watch but doesn't sing to you and that's really fine.

You can't bring yourself to like something. You either do or don't.

I love mine the most and will always remain with me.

And no these are NOT hard to sell ;)

Watch Analog watch Product Azure Blue

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was going to congratulate but it seems you are not in love with it so I won't force it.

If I were you, I'd return it immediately and move on with my life. Its not for you, its a great watch but doesn't sing to you and that's really fine.

You can't bring yourself to like something. You either do or don't.

I love mine the most and will always remain with me.

And no these are NOT hard to sell ;)

View attachment 16115154
Yeah, I'm returning it. Not going to put up with a crown that is so difficult to grip or operate. Certainly not at that price. I loved everything else about it. Definitely bummed. Very few watches with that combination of size, applied markers, lume, WR, and premium movement.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts